A decision could be made sooner than we thought

Vince R.

11 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

With the early signing period this year this makes this hiring/firing different than years past. There's no way to keep the class together right? I'm not into recruiting as much as I was. I just know that's unique to this season. Can someone who's a recruiting guru give me their thoughts on this? 

What does this class even have....10?

The class is already in bad shape as is.  Just fire Riley and make sure we get the right guy.  The class is toast.

2 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

What does this class even have....10?

The class is already in bad shape as is.  Just fire Riley and make sure we get the right guy.  The class is toast.

I'm not saying we need to keep Riley because of this class, he needs to be gone. 10 players is 10 players, that'll hurt us at some point down the road. I would like someone to explain what we can do to offset this recruiting mess if a decision is made on Riley. 

Moos needs to wait. Two more weeks is not that long. We'll be 4-8. The problem is that any decent coach won't want to be  announced as our next coach until after they win their respective bowl game.

Pros and Cons of wanting to be the the Next NU Coach

Pros: We were relevant 20 years ago, Tom Osborn as a mentor (just kidding)

Cons: we fire coaches that win 9+ games per season. we fire coaches after 2.5 seasons. we have won 3 of our last 10 bowl games. we are a mediocre Big 10 team now that regularly loses to Iowa, we get de-pantsed by Ohio State, no one outside of Nebraska cares about the Huskers, fans from teams like Iowa, Minnesota, Northwestern, Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma and Texas and the former big 12 are relishing in our drop from prominence since our joining the big 14 ten.

hmmm.. besides a big paycheck and nice facilities and being good in the previous century, what have we done lately to make us a good coaching destination?

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, bisonwiches said:

I look at what Moos did at Washington State. He made his decision to fire the coach, then he acted on it, fired his coach one day and announced the new hire the next. I want Riley and crew gone, but I think it’s important to keep his word on his rule to not fire coaches midseason. 

Finally, someone who gets that integrity and keeping to your word matters!

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, beastieboat said:

Moos needs to wait. Two more weeks is not that long. We'll be 4-8. The problem is that any decent coach won't want to be  announced as our next coach until after they win their respective bowl game.

Cons: we fire coaches that win 9+ games per season. we fire coaches after 2.5 seasons. we have won 3 of our last 10 bowl games. we are a mediocre Big 10 team now that regularly loses to Iowa, we get de-pantsed by Ohio State, no one outside of Nebraska cares about the Huskers, fans from teams like Iowa, Minnesota, Northwestern, Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma and Texas and the former big 12 are relishing in our drop from prominence since our joining the big 14 ten.

hmmm.. besides a big paycheck and nice facilities and being good in the previous century, what have we done lately to make us a good coaching destination?

Seriously? We are #5 in all time wins, look at the names who reached out to us in 2014, Nebraska is still Nebraska. Pelini got himself fired and speaking of him, when he freaked out about fair weather fans, it’s someone with your attitude he was talking about.

• Plus1 2

4 minutes ago, beastieboat said:

Poor coaching decisions and poor leadership decisions led to those cons you talk about. We've got new leadership, full funding from the B1G and are one of the top programs in the nation for revenue. The facilities are here, the fan support is here, the leadership appears to be here but that's yet to be seen, with the right coach we could be hugely successful. You tell me why a good coach wouldn't want to come here? 

If anything this period of *&*& football has taught Nebraska fans to stop expecting national championships every single year. I think at this point we all just want to be competitive and get back to Indy first. My guess is IF this next coach is a good coach he'll get plenty of time to instill his program to get things pointed in the right direction. Nebraska fans just need to chill the hell out in the process and realize it's gonna take some time to get this fixed. 

14 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

I'm not saying we need to keep Riley because of this class, he needs to be gone. 10 players is 10 players, that'll hurt us at some point down the road. I would like someone to explain what we can do to offset this recruiting mess if a decision is made on Riley. 

What if they are not the style of player the next coach wants?  We have a highly ranked DB that is a marshmallow.

I don't think it's a big deal.  JMO

1 minute ago, gobiggergoredder said:

What if they are not the style of player the next coach wants?  We have a highly ranked DB that is a marshmallow.

I don't think it's a big deal.  JMO

I personally think as a coach you need to evaluate the talent you have in the program when you get here and see what offense and defense those players fit into. If it's different than what you're running you need to adjust your philosophy some and instead of putting a square peg in a round hole, which never works, adjust your scheme and then begin to recruit to it over time and slowly turn the ship towards the direction you want to head. IMO it doesn't appear any of our current coaches have done that, want to do that, are doing that. The 3-4 switch was a perfect example of that. 

• Plus1 1