A decision could be made sooner than we thought

Vince R.

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

This is one of those things where there is no downside and no upside.  It is weird that way.  Might as well keep him

Yep.  Don't really see an upside or downside.  I think most folks know he is gone at the end of the season.  With that being the case, fired now or later doesn't change the fact....Figure staying 2 more games isn't going to hurt a thing.  Recruits have made up their minds based upon whats happening next year.  not tomorrow or in 2 weeks.  Same with the team.  They have either quit or haven't.  Two more games won't change their minds in to play or not.  As a fan, I'll cheer the last two games, ticked we have no bowl game whether Riley is on the side lines or not.....

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

/thread

There is, and I've explained it in about ten posts in this thread.

I mean, the downside is probably pretty nil at this point, but it's still the lesser choice. If they fire Riley tomorrow I won't be upset because it won't change anything.  I just think it's (slightly) more practical to let him coach out the last two weeks. 

You’ve explained why you think there is a downside. Which is your opinion. One several people share. 

An equal amount of people think there really isn’t a downside. Which is their opinion. 

Neither is a absolutely correct, we all know that. The only thing that right now looks to be a sure deal is that he is giving this team nothing. 

I’m simply tired of watching the ineptitude that he is absolutely personifying right now. 

2 minutes ago, BoneyardHusker said:

The upside is no more threads created about "What it will take for Riley to stay"

Cracked me up. We were going to lose the next two no matter what, he will be gone in two weeks. We can keep going round and round for 13 days, but that is as pointless as whether he goes now or later I think.

I might be the minority in this but i will be very surprised if riley is not let go tomorrow.  To lose to NIU closely is one thing, to get blown out by Wis and Ohio is another.  To get totally piss pounded by a bad Minn team like they were a frigging big 10 west contender with playoff hopes alive is another.  I dont see how moos could not do something by tomorrow.  

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I don't think Riley deserves to lead the team any longer. 

It isn't if Riley deserves to lead the team the next two games.

It's, "Who on this staff deserves to lead the team the next two games MORE."

Because you can fire Mike Riley tomorrow, but that means you have to promote Langs or Diaco to Interim.  And there's zero chance in my mind that Riley is better suited to be the head coach than either of those two.

I would think the upside to not firing Riley before the end of the season is it lets Moos do the job search a little more discretely and lessens the distractions for potential future coaches. Now, if any potential coach gets asked about the Nebraska job, all he has to say is "Nebraska already has a coach."  That changes the instant we fire Riley.  I would think potential future coaches would appreciate that.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, knapplc said:

It isn't if Riley deserves to lead the team the next two games.

It's, "Who on this staff deserves to lead the team the next two games MORE."

Because you can fire Mike Riley tomorrow, but that means you have to promote Langs or Diaco to Interim.  And there's zero chance in my mind that Riley is better suited to be the head coach than either of those two.

Lil Red 

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Dbqgolfer said:

I would think the upside to not firing Riley before the end of the season is it lets Moos do the job search a little more discretely and lessens the distractions for potential future coaches. Now, if any potential coach gets asked about the Nebraska job, all he has to say is "Nebraska already has a coach."  That changes the instant we fire Riley.  I would think potential future coaches would appreciate that.

V01V6yK.gif

9 minutes ago, MacNCheeze said:

I might be the minority in this but i will be very surprised if riley is not let go tomorrow.  To lose to NIU closely is one thing, to get blown out by Wis and Ohio is another.  To get totally piss pounded by a bad Minn team like they were a frigging big 10 west contender with playoff hopes alive is another.  I dont see how moos could not do something by tomorrow.  

He said he doesn't make changes in season. I wouldn't expect a change until after Iowa. 

5 minutes ago, Dbqgolfer said:

Listen to you, talking all logical like you don't even own a pitchfork.

Edited by runningblind
29 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Based on what?

12 hours ago, Redux said:

Only if Riley were fired mid season.  I assume that hasn't changed, but this info is over a month old.  With two games to go, it's anyones guess now.  But after NIU, Diaco was the go to if Riley was fired.

There is a downside, regardless of want some what to believe. The risk is blowing up the recruiting class versus only losing a few.

If you drop the coach now, you risk losing more recruits than if you waited until after the season. This gives the recruits less time to rethink their decision. Some will bail, we know that, but if you let this go until the end, but in the mean time you do your due diligence and have a coach lined up, which I think is going to happen, you can announce the new coach sooner risking less turnover on recruits.

just my opinion..

Edited by Bornhusker