A decision could be made sooner than we thought

Vince R.

3 hours ago, Vince R. said:

Everyday in Nebraska, feels like a week. I just cannot see this lasting until Iowa. The noise will be deafening to where Moos will have no choice.

3 hours ago, SUHperman said:

I was all for letting him finish the season but this team has quit. He needs to be gone now and maybe an interim can at least get some effort out of the team for the final two games. 

Yep. These two posts sum it up. Moos can’t afford to alienate the fans any further even though we already know, worst case, it won’t extend past the Iowa game. Absolutely nothing is being gained by keeping them at this point. The sad thing is, it would be nice to be in a situation where one of the coordinators could assume interim HC duty. We don’t have that situation and that may be thing that allows Riley to remain through the Iowa game. Not sure you can send the top 3 guys packing and dump it on a position coach. I mean I would but....

Edited by Comfortably Numb

30 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Please stop calling for Riley to get fired. We're paying him through the end of the season. There is no reason to shuffle the coaching staff with two games to go. Riley will finish out the year and what happens after that happens. 

It serves nothing, other than to satisfy some fans' bloodlust, to fire Riley right now.  It won't turn the season around, it won't make anything better, and it won't ensure that we get your favorite coach. 

Regarding the bolded, we’re paying him for the next 4 years. Don’t know why 2 games makes a difference in the grand scheme of things.

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Yep. These two posts sum it up. Moos can’t afford to alienate the fans any further even though we already know, worst case, it won’t extend past the Iowa game. Absolutely nothing is being gained by keeping them at this point. The sad thing is, it would be nice to be in a situation where one of the coordinators could assume interim HC duty. We don’t have that situation and that may be thing that allows Riley to remain through the Iowa game. Not sure you can send the top 3 guys packing and dump it on a position coach. I mean I would but....

How many times are we able to change usernames. Getting ridiculous.

6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Because he fills a function for the team. He has a job to do. If he doesn't do that job, someone else has to.  There is zero point in making everyone shuffle the work they do because people want Riley fired today.

This will all be resolved. It just takes a little patience.

Pretty sure we can find a GA to stand on the sidelines with his hands in the pouch of his hoodie chewing gum.

• Plus1 2

It's not really about that. I just think, it's already over, why drag this out. Give the last two games some real meaning.

I certainly will not be angry. I just think circumstances have come to the point where a midseason firing is not only justified, but typical. We could avoid going that route, but I'm not sure what that accomplishes either. *Unless* keeping Riley is actually in the equation, which I'd be on board with but seems really, really unlikely right now.

• Plus1 1

So we fire Mike Riley tomorrow. 

What happens then? We can't talk to the coaches we're targeting until after the regular season anyway.

We aren't going to a bowl game no matter who coaches the next two games.

Our recruiting class won't improve if we fire Riley now. 

There's literally no upside to firing him right now.  He is not hurting the program any more by staying two more games than if he's let go after this game. 

• Plus1 3
4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

So we fire Mike Riley tomorrow. 

What happens then? We can't talk to the coaches we're targeting until after the regular season anyway.

We aren't going to a bowl game no matter who coaches the next two games.

Our recruiting class won't improve if we fire Riley now. 

There's literally no upside to firing him right now.  He is not hurting the program any more by staying two more games than if he's let go after this game. 

I really don’t care either way because I know he will be gone by a few minutes after the Iowa game but I would offer that these coaches are now hurting the program and these players. He’s lost the team and in the game of football you need a reason to go into battle. Riley hasn’t instilled that they need to battle for their fellow teammates and he sure hasn’t inspired them to play for him. It isn’t about winning or a bowl game at this point. It’s about giving the players a glimmer of hope and possibly a reason to play these two remaining games. That’s the way I see it anyway.

I disagree with everyone saying there isn't an upside to firing a coach who has lost control of the team.  Its been seen before where a firing points the team in a unified direction (which we are lacking) for the remainder of the season.  It can then be apparent to the players that instead of blindly following a dead man walking you are playing for the future, and the film the next Head Coach will watch.  That is for sure an improvement. I also believe it gets the attention of the recruits who are on the fence or recently decommited.  None of they guys he had committed were committed to Mike Riley, they were committed to the University of Nebraska. We still have so much of what they liked, they need to know we are moving forward. 

Seriously how great would it be to watch a Parella lead Huskers with nothing to lose? Sounds pretty fun to watch. 

How are they "hurting the program?"  We're losing games.  Every team does that.  Is Mark Dantonio hurting Sparty?  Was Kirk Ferentz hurting Iowa in 2012?

"Hurting the program" is doing something unfixable. It's the kind of PR damage Bo did to the program, or Eichorst did with his "Had to evaluate where Iowa was" comment. 

Riley is just losing games.  Most coaches do that at some point, which is why they get fired.

Most coaches end their time at a school by being fired.  This is normal.

• Plus1 2
15 minutes ago, zoogs said:

It's not really about that. I just think, it's already over, why drag this out. Give the last two games some real meaning.

I certainly will not be angry. I just think circumstances have come to the point where a midseason firing is not only justified, but typical. We could avoid going that route, but I'm not sure what that accomplishes either. *Unless* keeping Riley is actually in the equation, which I'd be on board with but seems really, really unlikely right now.

I have to ask.....Can you explain your rationale for being on board with keeping Riley another season? I don’t need any slam dunk answer just maybe some brief example of how you’ve seen any indication whatsoever that Riley can possibly be successful here, in the face of a 20 year career that screams otherwise. I mean are you okay with 5 or 6 win seasons being the ceiling as long as he’s a nice guy and otherwise (other than football) helps develope these young men, keeps their grades up etc.? That seems like a job for others at the University and shouldn’t be the sole success of the head football coach.

9 minutes ago, knapplc said:

How are they "hurting the program?"  We're losing games.  Every team does that.  Is Mark Dantonio hurting Sparty?  Was Kirk Ferentz hurting Iowa in 2012?

"Hurting the program" is doing something unfixable. It's the kind of PR damage Bo did to the program, or Eichorst did with his "Had to evaluate where Iowa was" comment. 

Riley is just losing games.  Most coaches do that at some point, which is why they get fired.

Most coaches end their time at a school by being fired.  This is normal.

Meh......it's getting increasingly difficult to throw Pelini's name out as damaging to the program.

• Plus1 4