A decision could be made sooner than we thought

Vince R.

Just now, Bornhusker said:

My bad, when you said Diaco will fill in, I assumed you meant as a replacement for Riley.

Only if Riley were fired mid season.  I assume that hasn't changed, but this info is over a month old.  With two games to go, it's anyones guess now.  But after NIU, Diaco was the go to if Riley was fired.

I may be wrong, but didn't Moos say something about he didn't fire coaches mid season because it can cause the team to lose focus? Well, the team has lost focus, they've lost interest and they have given up on this staff. If Moos decided to fire Riley tomorrow morning it wouldn't hurt the program and in my mind it could help.

Will it help us win the next two games? No, it won't. Will it help us get a new head coach quicker? No, it won't. Will it help us get a better recruiting class? No, it won't. Although Riley is already losing recruits.

But what does it accomplish? It accomplishes hope for the future of the program. It shows the fan base that he university and Moos will not tolerate this type of performance.

Yes we all know that Riley isn't going to be here next year, its obvious. I also don't need Riley fired on Monday, but you know what would be nice? For an announcement to be made on Monday that Riley will not be back next season. Let him coach out the season, I don't care at this point because we lose the next two games anyways. But it would be nice for the university, that is apparently more dedicated and directed to better the football program, to give us fans, who really is all this program has left and the reason its even slightly relevant, know they will not accept this type of coaching, and performance and the future for a better program starts Monday.

Let him coach this out, let him ride off into the sunset into retirement , but just give us an announcement that this is it. 

1 hour ago, lo country said:

If Riley is fired, I do not think the new coach will inherit the divided locker room Riley did.  With that you had guys who loved Bo and would run through walls for him.  You also had ex staff calling players.  Players themselves admitted there was an issue with Buy in.  

I have never ever played a down at the college level,  but have watched enough football to recognize good or bad play.  No doubt the kids who are talented enough to play at this level no good and bad coaching.  IMHO, there won't be guys who miss the "coach" Riley.  Maybe the man, but many have seen games slip away with poor play calling, time management and confusing decisions......There won't be guys not buying in to a new culture.  You bring in a winning coach, a guy who is passionate and makes the passion contagious, the team won't have any issues IMHO.  

You instill expectations from day one.  A person tests those boundaries, even a captain or apparent leader, make an example.  There can be only one person setting the agenda and culture of the team.  That's the head coach.  

There is no doubt there was divided locker room and childish issues like former staff calling players, but the writing should have been on the wall that players were having issues with buying into a new staff. Every coach will have some issues with scholarship and loyal players to the previous coach, but for goodness sake, if you bring in a positive vision, a little excitement and confidence that rubs off onto the players rather quickly.

Look at Minnesota. They loved Claeys, he got fired for supporting his players, you don't think row the boat guy had a locker room that was divided? Row the boat guy is annoying, but what does he have that you see improvement from a very sub par talent group of players? He has energy, focus, and a vision. A very positive image that he sells to the players and they've bought in.

4 minutes ago, BoneyardHusker said:

There is no doubt there was divided locker room and childish issues like former staff calling players, but the writing should have been on the wall that players were having issues with buying into a new staff. Every coach will have some issues with scholarship and loyal players to the previous coach, but for goodness sake, if you bring in a positive vision, a little excitement and confidence that rubs off onto the players rather quickly.

Look at Minnesota. They loved Claeys, he got fired for supporting his players, you don't think row the boat guy had a locker room that was divided? Row the boat guy is annoying, but what does he have that you see improvement from a very sub par talent group of players? He has energy, focus, and a vision. A very positive image that he sells to the players and they've bought in.

I agree with you.  A smart coach knows going in there are issues they have to over come. They start doing so day one.....I found myself liking PJ because of his sideline actions.  And they were beating us down.  I can imagine his kids respond very favorably to him.

6 minutes ago, lo country said:

I agree with you.  A smart coach knows going in there are issues they have to over come. They start doing so day one.....I found myself liking PJ because of his sideline actions.  And they were beating us down.  I can imagine his kids respond very favorably to him.

I think he is a little over the top, and a lot of it comes off as a schtick then anything, but you are right, his players buy in and that is all that matters.

16 minutes ago, BoneyardHusker said:

I think he is a little over the top, and a lot of it comes off as a schtick then anything, but you are right, his players buy in and that is all that matters.

Read his story about rowing the boat.  Came about from losing a baby to a congestive heart issue......Talked about just having to keep rowing....Took that tragedy and turned it into his mantra.

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, BoneyardHusker said:

Thanks for making feel like a complete a$$. I had no idea of his personal story.

My apologies.  Not my intent at all.  Heard the announcers mention his child so I googled it.  prior, I thought it was kind of like Cally's "burn the boats" .  A little team thing to motivate I had no idea it was personal to him.

Edited by lo country
3 hours ago, knapplc said:

Will firing Mike Riley after this game give the players purpose? Or will it piss them off that the coach who recruited them has been let go?

How did that work out when we fired the last staff?

What are they going to do? Not play hard? Think that ship has long since left port. 

I agree, probably no upside to him going now, but really no downside either. How much worse can we get? We’re getting trounced the next two weeks anyway, especially with this lackluster attitude that prevails through the entire program. And then at least we don’t have  to watch that clueless, aw shucks attitude on the sideline. 

I actually see more upside than downside. 

Just now, 3rd and long said:

I agree, probably no upside to him going now

/thread

1 minute ago, 3rd and long said:

but really no downside either

There is, and I've explained it in about ten posts in this thread.

I mean, the downside is probably pretty nil at this point, but it's still the lesser choice. If they fire Riley tomorrow I won't be upset because it won't change anything.  I just think it's (slightly) more practical to let him coach out the last two weeks.