A decision could be made sooner than we thought

Vince R.

19 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

won't pretend to know the psychology behind it, but when coaches are fired mid-season, even coaches the players love, there is often an uptick in performance the next couple games

Yes, there is usually a small uptick initially that is later offset such that the net effect is zero. With only two games left, both where Nebraska will be big underdogs, we probably won't notice such an effect. 

24 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

If Riley is fired tomorrow, the team is not going to suddenly beat Penn State and Iowa, but they might actually play better.

How? Why?'

Well for starters, they could not possibly play more disheartened and technically flawed football than they did yesterday, from the opening kickoff through the two humiliating sacks that ended it. No one is enjoying this. At all. 

I won't pretend to know the psychology behind it, but when coaches are fired mid-season, even coaches the players love, there is often an uptick in performance the next couple games.

In some cases I think everyone just desperately needs change. 

This is the only analogy I can think of. Have you ever had a close family member or friend die after being sick for some time- like from cancer?  It's excrutiating  to watch  and when they finally pass, there is a sense of relief.  Not that you don't miss them or don't love them, but relief that it has ended.  The same feeling of relief for players.  The weight has been pulled and they can just play football again.  I imagine the feeling of knowing what's coming to a coach they probably have positive feelings for is probably pretty burdensome.  

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, 8th Street said:

Tennessee fired Jones, gave him the option of finishing out the year, and he declined. Sounds like a plan to me.

Maybe that happened and Riley said yes.

The only viable reason I see to announce the firing right this second is to stop MacNCheeze's temper tantrums.

Edited by runningblind
Clarification.
  • Plus1 3

4 minutes ago, MacNCheeze said:

Tell me how what im saying doesnt make sense.  You dont keep the bad around you get rid of it. How is common sense throwing a temper tantrum.

uimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1Vue3fXLo-4d8k3cx4fj

No one is saying you don't make sense. What they're saying is you need to work on how you communicate. As a mod, I'm inclined to agree that you have at times toed a line. You state many opinions as fact and you word it very strongly. That type of speaking gets strong responses. I'm encourage you to be mindful of it. 

4 minutes ago, MacNCheeze said:

Tell me how what im saying doesnt make sense.  You dont keep the bad around you get rid of it. How is common sense throwing a temper tantrum.

uimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1Vue3fXLo-4d8k3cx4fj

I agree with your sentiment, but not the logic in that it changes anything if it is today or in 12 days he is fired.

You mentioned an employee who is underperforming, good example. But in what other job are candidates only available during a certain period? Makes sense to wait until they are available. You can be putting feelers out sure, which I bet they have to Frost. 

All I am saying is relax. All a firing today would do is make you feel better, its not going to change Nebraska football one iota for the future.

15 minutes ago, Huskerzoo said:

No one is saying you don't make sense. What they're saying is you need to work on how you communicate. As a mod, I'm inclined to agree that you have at times toed a line. You state many opinions as fact and you word it very strongly. That type of speaking gets strong responses. I'm encourage you to be mindful of it. 

What, is this school its a internet forum board.  Would you prefer i give you an xs and os type of analytical approach.  I mean im not keyed up but the fact that some people think waiting 2 weeks vs doing it today or tomorrow is just crazy talk and it will ruin this or that.  Not much else bad could be done at this point so other then moos word in still waiting for a good reason.  Toed a line, opinions as fact.  This is the internet man.  Perhaps im trying to enforce my agenda, starting a protest, a riot even.  No man, in just talking coaching changes in a college football forum. I havent attacked anyone or anyones character, and i kinda think your post is alittle out of line.  

21 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I agree with your sentiment, but not the logic in that it changes anything if it is today or in 12 days he is fired.

You mentioned an employee who is underperforming, good example. But in what other job are candidates only available during a certain period? Makes sense to wait until they are available. You can be putting feelers out sure, which I bet they have to Frost. 

All I am saying is relax. All a firing today would do is make you feel better, its not going to change Nebraska football one iota for the future.

But if that employee is causing the entire ship to go down then i get rid of that employee and try to salvage whatever i can.  You make it sound like there is no one else capable of calling the plays.  And as far as both of you are concerned, i am relaxed im not upset at all.  Frankly im just waiting for the frost (no pun intended) to get off the grass so i can rake some leaves.  They could fire him now or 2 years from now.  Whatever...i still have bills to pay and kids to feed.  The fact that your dismissing what im saying because of the context i put it in means you arent paying attention to the message.

7 minutes ago, Rike Miley said:

So did your source say they are going to pull the trigger on Riley or something?

All I will say is that you would be well advised to snap up ‘Frott Scost’ very very soon.  And if you need a temporary name for a couple weeks ‘Barbarella” might suffice nicely.

6 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

All I will say is that you would be well advised to snap up ‘Frott Scost’ very very soon.  And if you need a temporary name for a couple weeks ‘Barbarella” might suffice nicely.

Letting Mike go and making JP the interim is the best way to go imo. Maybe they would at least play hard the next two weeks.

Edited by alwayshusking