Noah Vedral Transferring to Nebraska

Huskers44

10 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

I have no problems with them preventing a transfer to Nebraska.  It makes sense...if the players have more loyalty to the coach than to the school, they all split and go to the coaches new school.

Nothing wrong with this at all...don't go to our competition in AAC, don't open the floodgates to go to the coaches next school.

I'm mostly in agreement with UCF's choice though I do find it minutely petty. The AAC stuff makes 100% sense, but Nebraska and UCF will likely never play a single game against each other unless they match up in a bowl game. It's more of a criticism against the NCAA system than anything else from my my standpoint.

The other caveat to this is most UCF players wouldn't have a spot on Nebraska's team. The transfer works both ways - the player has to want it and (Frost) would have to want it. I think some people are getting too caught up in Vedral's ties to the state. Nebraska is likely going to lose at least one quarterback in the next 6-12 months. Vedral's transfer just makes good football sense. He'll provide depth, strengthen the QB room and compete hard.

• Plus1 1

11 hours ago, Redux said:

So UCF really green lit a transfer, just not to Nebraska?  Can we please schedule them soon and remind them they are a G5 team?  I'm happy for them and their season and all, but a lot of their fans have been total dicks about this situation and now it sounds like their admins are too.

I would love that, but let's put things in perspective: they would have boat raced us by at least 30 this year.

12 hours ago, Redux said:

So UCF really green lit a transfer, just not to Nebraska?  Can we please schedule them soon and remind them they are a G5 team?  I'm happy for them and their season and all, but a lot of their fans have been total dicks about this situation and now it sounds like their admins are too.

This block was not just Vedral.  It was a blanket move to try to prevent any players from following Frost to Nebraska.  It also included a block from them transferring to conference foes.  

I have no problem with this.  It seems like Vedral understands the situation and is working through it.  No need to get all worked up about it.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

I would love that, but let's put things in perspective: they would have boat raced us by at least 30 this year.

Well yeah, they had a vastly superior team and staff.  Schedule them this year or next, let's see what happens.  Most of them hate us now, let's give them a valid reason.

• Plus1 1

There are really 2 convos to be had about a team letting a kid transfer.

UCF did the smart thing. It stops a possible exodus of kids wanting to follow their coach.

But the other convo is these kids aren't employees. They aren't paid a salary. And they're having a non compete imposed on them. These schools and everyone else involved make millions off them. It's hard to not side with the kids and think they should be able to go to whatever the school they want for any reason they want.

But if another team stole our coach it'd suck if a bunch of players left to follow him. We had a little fraction of that with players going to Kentucky and misfit players going to Youngstown State. Imagine if it was Iowa or Clemson.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 3

Here's the official mission statement of UCF athletics:

To positively transform the lives of our students academically, athletically, and personally through a nationally competitive intercollegiate athletics program that enhances the reputation and visibility of the University.

Tell me how restricting a transfer's options "positively transforms the lives of our students".

That universities can even have the option of restricting transfers is horses#!t.

• Plus1 2

It's funny to see the responses from people differ when student-athletes are transferring to NU, compared to when the student-athletes are transferring from NU.

I know that there are a lot of "normal" students who leave/transfer from their original college, why do we expect the percentages to be different among student-athletes?

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

There are really 2 convos to be had about a team letting a kid transfer.

UCF did the smart thing. It stops a possible exodus of kids wanting to follow their coach.

But the other convo is these kids aren't employees. They aren't paid a salary. And they're having a non compete imposed on them. These schools and everyone else involved make millions off them. It's hard to not side with the kids and think they should be able to go to whatever the school they want for any reason they want.

But if another team stole our coach it'd suck if a bunch of players left to follow him. We had a little fraction of that with players going to Kentucky and misfit players going to Youngstown State. Imagine if it was Iowa or Clemson.

No problem with the move by UCF. They aren't blocking Vedral specifically, its across the board. The only issue i have with blocking the transfer is the bolded, but this goes beyond UCF. They are just using the tools in their toolbox to keep their team as intact as possible. That being said, holding a players scholarship hostage is a problem the NCAA has to deal with. Would an academic transfer not be allowed to accept scholarship money from a new school if the old school didn't want them to leave for somd reason? We only see this type of thing in the realm of sports scholarships, which I understand are a bit different, but the point is the same. Why are we restricting the students options?

1 hour ago, Redux said:

Well yeah, they had a vastly superior team and staff.  Schedule them this year or next, let's see what happens.  Most of them hate us now, let's give them a valid reason.

This year? They probably still boat race us. 

Next year? We probably have a decent chance. 

23 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

This year? They probably still boat race us. 

Next year? We probably have a decent chance. 

Remember how Jon Gruden and the Buccaneers beat the snot of out the Raiders, Grudens former team?  I would liken a meeting between the two schools at the end of the year to that.

Edited by Redux

5 hours ago, Bornhusker said:

Sorry, but from my perspective you are trolling and in the process derailed the thread. I shouldn't even comment and further derail the thread, but I think you should be called on it. That posters comment was 100% appropriate. I completely understood what he said and why. You said yourself you didn't like the comment, so you tried to tell someone how they should post.

Lol exactly, especially since it was 3 weeks ago. I stopped reading after that.

• Plus1 1

The interesting thing is even with the power tilted to UCF in this specific instance, Vedral left and will not play for them.  The NCAA was looking into the matter last year and from how most articles read, they'll stop the practice of blocking students.

So does he count against UCF's scholarship limits.  If so, when Heuphel wants to free it up, he should threaten to go back just to mess with them.

Schools should start adding these sorts of clauses into the coaching contracts too.  That way our AD could block any coach from any other school he pleases.  The coach could quit and work coach at the other school for free if they want.

Edited by InOmaha

The problem of letting players walk any time they want to as opposed to abiding by their contract (that is exactly what a letter of intent and agreement to accept a scholarship and play for the team and attend to school is - legal contract).   You can't have a one-way contract which says the player is free to come or go as he pleases while binding the school to pay for 4 years of education simply for attending.  It is unfair to the school and arguably lacks fundamental consideration to support a binding agreement.  Both parties agree to the terms and conditions and enter the deal freely.  The school binds itself to furnish a college education, etc for t he player's commitment to participate earnestly in sports on behalf of the school.   

If you argue that the player ought to be able to walk away anytime without consequence is unworkable.  The letter of intent is with the school - not the head coach.  Players need to know this if they don't already know it - before they sign on the line.  The are playing for NU, not Scott Frost.   If Frost decides to quit the contract is really unchanged.   The deal is football for the school - not for Frost nor because the girlfriend attends there or lives nearby or they like the weather.   Perhaps they should include a penalty clause which would require the player to pay back a portion of the scholarship given them if they opt to quit early.   Or, atleast let the school have the option to non-renew if the player gets that option.   It needs to be employment at will or a personal services contract but it cannot be both.   The must be consequences.'  If players are free to follow their favorite coach, then the inevitable result would be head coach salaries would mushroom upto to 40 million a year as the schools would then be offering Saban or Meyer a $50 million a year salary to come and bring his entire team with him.   Why not?   It would be cheap way to 'buy' a national championship.   

Personally, I think the transfer and sit out a year is a reasonable compromise along with the school being able to somewhat limit which school may be permitted to poach their players.   Otherwise maybe the better idea would be to simply prohibit all scholarships and make athletes all be walk-ons only.  They pay their way and come and go at their own choice anytime, subject maybe only to a restriction to being properly enrolled and attending school in good standing as a student and perhaps transfer is limited to any months outside of August through December (no mid season recruiting of enrolled players.   Let recruiting go on for all players at any age or grade in school.   Or simply let the schools field their teams and they don't even need to be students at all.  Just athletes playing a game they love.  

Edited by 84HuskerLaw