Stanley Morgan Listed as #5 WR for 2019 NFL Draft

On 6/26/2018 at 8:40 PM, Bigred_inSD said:

If the #1 receiver is a poor man's hakeem nicks this must be a poor draft for WR

It actually says a rich mans Hakeem Nicks. Which is an analogy I've never heard before, but still it'll be awesome if Stanley can have the kind of season were expecting and he becomes a top 20 pick!

3 hours ago, Husker from Kansas said:

It actually says a rich mans Hakeem Nicks. Which is an analogy I've never heard before, but still it'll be awesome if Stanley can have the kind of season were expecting and he becomes a top 20 pick!

I'm going to dip into the red kool-aid for a moment and predict that Morgan is one of the top two, with Spielman being number 5, although Spielman will pass on the draft and return.

Not to be too critical as Stanley Morgan is one of the better WRs for the Huskers in many years certainly, but he has not had anything close to what I'd call an top NFL draft pick type of season yet.   He needs to catch and score alot more and with dam few drops of anything he can touch.   He'll need to be all Big Ten to be a first rounder.  I am doubtful he has the kind of true speed to get taken that high but hopefully we'll see.   

3 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Not to be too critical as Stanley Morgan is one of the better WRs for the Huskers in many years certainly, but he has not had anything close to what I'd call an top NFL draft pick type of season yet.   He needs to catch and score alot more and with dam few drops of anything he can touch.   He'll need to be all Big Ten to be a first rounder.  I am doubtful he has the kind of true speed to get taken that high but hopefully we'll see.   

Physically, he's borderline. Has the attributes to be a late first rounder, not the ones that help force him into the first round. He has to get there on tape, and I agree he's yet to do that.

What hurts Morgan more than anything in this regard is how few receivers are taken in the first round. Like running back, the position is seen as too high of risk for how very few game changers there are at the position. If a team has deficiencies in the passing game, the root cause is more likely at QB or pass protection, and even if it's not, those are seen as better positions to take early than receiver. The NFL Draft is very much a game of asset management.

The good news is he'll get his chance. The prior offense often limited his yards after catch, this one will give him an opportunity to showcase those skills. Just catching the ball, a skill he still needs to work on, is considered the bare minimum at the next level. The ability to turn it into something is what will get you drafted high.