Spring Game Overreaction Thread

On 4/23/2023 at 6:28 PM, runningblind said:

Here's my "over" reaction, which is the same as it was before. This is a 3-4 win team. Prepare yourselves folks. Don't drink the kool-aid....yet.  Save it for year 2.

Yeah.  Well... some action there.. I didn't see a Husker team as we once knew Husker teams.  I think this coach has a huge job, even more so than a few previous ones;  Our Hero From The Past left quantum disarray as the norm.  That is difficult to coach out of an athlete who has accepted it, and too many of those players are still right there in that headspace. 

Transfer portal, in and out, could help if the new staff is trying to do that (I think they are, going by words and some actions).

I felt pretty bad through most of that Spring Game, but was glad to be there.  My expectations were unreal. 

Year 2?  Uh.. well.. 4 wins this year (maybe) and the same or 1 better for a few years.  Expectations deflated after watching that scrimmage. 

I did love seeing Coach Frank getting repeated compliments and accolades he has deserved and were overdue;  that made the day.

Culture?  It's simply embracing and allowing what management permits.  Nothing more nothing less.  You can have a phenomenal leader, co-worker, etc, but if substandard performance is allowed/excepted It becomes the norm or the "culture".  NU has faced this issue for years.  Humans by nature rise to the level of the lowest expectation. Rhule sets the bar higher and "inspects his expectations", NU will improve regardless of scheme, "better athletes" "insert reason here".  It's not going to change over night.  Some guys will respond faster than others as they "have wanted" a high expectation coach and others might take longer to "flip".  Once this happens and the inspected (and explained) expectations are met NU will be on the return.  The spring game shows Rhule is actually coaching.  Has expectations that he is going to make the team meet.  Unsure how many wins that translates too this season, but NU is in this for the long haul.  Reckon I am as well after the previous 8 years...

• Plus1 1

The defense will be fun to watch, and we'll have a lot more TFLs than we're used to. But we're also going to give up more big plays than we have in the past few years. Others have said it, but the offense is going to be painful to watch until we get dynamic receivers. We have a bunch of freshmen who could be that down the road but won't be this year. I don't have a W/L prediction, but we will win ugly and lose really ugly this year.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

The defense will be fun to watch, and we'll have a lot more TFLs than we're used to. But we're also going to give up more big plays than we have in the past few years. Others have said it, but the offense is going to be painful to watch until we get dynamic receivers. We have a bunch of freshmen who could be that down the road but won't be this year. I don't have a W/L prediction, but we will win ugly and lose really ugly this year.

One good thing is I have learned that over the past upteen spring games we have had, I really learned nothing that accurately translated to our season.  I do agree that I would give the advantage to the D.  I'd feel better had Wynn stayed if nothing more than experience and depth.  But as some said, maybe he is simply testing the waters....Unless the OL can really improve, the O (regardless of talent) will struggle.  I do like the idea of a FB.  Yes I am a run the damn ball guy, but it gives us an extra blocker and as Rhule has said a "swiss army knife" type position that can make it hard for a defense to acct for.   I also like Rhule talking about 2 and possibly 3 TE sets.  That'll help as well. I do think for the first time in a while we have a HC who can scheme, develop, and recruit to a specific scheme that will pay off. How long that takes is anyones guess.  Just please don't lose to the Buffs.....

• TBH 1
42 minutes ago, lo country said:

One good thing is I have learned that over the past upteen spring games we have had, I really learned nothing that accurately translated to our season.  I do agree that I would give the advantage to the D.  I'd feel better had Wynn stayed if nothing more than experience and depth.  But as some said, maybe he is simply testing the waters....Unless the OL can really improve, the O (regardless of talent) will struggle.  I do like the idea of a FB.  Yes I am a run the damn ball guy, but it gives us an extra blocker and as Rhule has said a "swiss army knife" type position that can make it hard for a defense to acct for.   I also like Rhule talking about 2 and possibly 3 TE sets.  That'll help as well. I do think for the first time in a while we have a HC who can scheme, develop, and recruit to a specific scheme that will pay off. How long that takes is anyones guess.  Just please don't lose to the Buffs.....

It also gives the defense an extra defender.  Possibly two.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

It also gives the defense an extra defender.  Possibly two.

Very true.  I just like the idea until the O and OL can get up and get going.  Hoping it's sooner than later.  Having a QB run threat will also help to keep the defense more "honest" than I think they were last year.  

Hoping to see improvement next year in the category that matters and that's wins.  Close hasn't gotten us anywhere yet.  Time to show progress.  It's hard to say, but bowling would be huge.

No Ty Robinson, Luke Reimer, Nick Henrich in Spring game.... That's quite possibly 3 our best returning starters on D.

Also, great to see Farmer with 2nd team :) which means someone is paying attention to the safety position (like, all of the coaches) :thumbs  

5 hours ago, The Dude said:

Nothing about the spring game changed my outlook on the season.  We'll start 4-0 then the lack of depth will hurt us down the stretch and we'll barely limp into a bowl game.

We aren't beating Minnesota on the road in the first game.  I'll be impressed if we even beat CU to not start 0-2. CU will lose to TCU on the road, then we are the first home game for Prime Time in Boulder. It'll be a zoo, probably a night game, the place will be rocking and I could see us losing that also.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1
4 minutes ago, runningblind said:

We aren't beating Minnesota on the road in the first game.  I'll be impressed if we even beat CU to not start 0-2. CU will lose to TCU on the road, then we are the first home game for Prime Time in Boulder. It'll be a zoo, probably a night game, the place will be rocking and I could see us losing that also.

If we lose to the cluster f*&# that is Colorado this is going to be a long sad year. I don't see us beating Minnesota though.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, runningblind said:

If Frost were still here I would agree with you.  I can't help but thing we'll just steamroll those tiny defenses.  Minnesota lost too much and Colorado is too far behind.  If Deion is really that much better than Rhule why didn't we go after him?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1
58 minutes ago, The Dude said:

If Frost were still here I would agree with you.  I can't help but thing we'll just steamroll those tiny defenses.  Minnesota lost too much and Colorado is too far behind.  If Deion is really that much better than Rhule why didn't we go after him?

I don't think we will know much of anything about either Rhule or Deion by game 2. We just start out with back to back road games in year one, and Minny is established already.  Plus the crazy environment in Boulder for this game. Smells of 0-2 to me.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

Note that Colorado has what should be a much harder Week 1 opponent than we do: at TCU. Have to give them credit for making 2 of their 3 non-conference games this year against P5 teams.

• Plus1 2
On 4/29/2023 at 5:49 PM, runningblind said:

I don't think we will know much of anything about either Rhule or Deion by game 2. We just start out with back to back road games in year one, and Minny is established already.  Plus the crazy environment in Boulder for this game. Smells of 0-2 to me.

I guess I'm not as high on either team as you.  Ibrahim carried  Minnesota last year.  Between losing him and losing a ton of experience on the defensive side, I don't view them as all that established.   I give Nebraska the edge on both sides of the ball.   Deion is starting at a much lower place than Rhule.  They only way his program surpasses Rhule's by week 2 is if he's just significantly better.