** 2023 Opponent Preview : Michigan (Game 5) **

3 hours ago, nic said:

True. Seems like someone would know. Watching TV, youtube and game film was part of it though. If he paid people to go to games it was because he couldn't be there himself. I doubt he studying the rulebook. He didn't do a very good job in 2020. 2-4 record. :D I doubt it offered much advantage anyway since coaches change signs to try and avoid them being stolen...which is legal. they just need headsets and be done with it.

I mean... people keep talking about watching on TV.  But I've watched a lot of football and it's not very often that they are showing a team signaling in a bunch of plays.  You sometime see a little when they cut to a shot of a head coach but that's about it.

And if you could get so much off of TV, it wouldn't make much sense to waste a bunch of time and money flying all over the country to go to games.

34 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I mean... people keep talking about watching on TV.  But I've watched a lot of football and it's not very often that they are showing a team signaling in a bunch of plays.  You sometime see a little when they cut to a shot of a head coach but that's about it.

And if you could get so much off of TV, it wouldn't make much sense to waste a bunch of time and money flying all over the country to go to games.

There is a paywalled WashPost article, that I cannot read, but I heard it claimed another team paid a private investigator who somehow got into an assistant coaches laptop and got the evidence needed to start this investigation. I wish I could read the article. Anyway, that would mean some assistant knew and someone may have illegally hacked a computer to get it. Not to mention some other school that didn’t like getting beat hired a PI. Lol.

most in the football world seem to be shrugging their shoulders on this. 
It stinks pretty bad given the timeline when the guy joined M, flew to games, stood on the sideline with maps of signals and what their win/loss record during that same time is. 

hell, I’m a “do things right, the N way” but I’m kinda intrigued by 10-12 win seasons too. 

you ain’t cheatin, you ain’t tryin…up to a point lol. 

I kinda don’t care about this that much until the players aren’t really dictating the wins on execution and play.
Players are  put in perfect position to make plays may raise their draft profile. Players who are instructed illegally get national awards and more NIL. Betting lines get f#&%ed, team strategies are tossed out, a 5-6 win team loses out on a bowl…you see how bad it can damage so many people as it trickles down and it makes me feel like it is kind of a big deal. Then the slippery slope of paying for inside information, playbooks, game plans etc. 

if you were a grad coach at N making $41k and a guy offered you $10k for signs or game plans…I know I’m off in c theory now but that’s how things go if you don’t have a tight leash 

10 hours ago, nic said:

There is a paywalled WashPost article, that I cannot read, but I heard it claimed another team paid a private investigator who somehow got into an assistant coaches laptop and got the evidence needed to start this investigation. I wish I could read the article. Anyway, that would mean some assistant knew and someone may have illegally hacked a computer to get it. Not to mention some other school that didn’t like getting beat hired a PI. Lol.

UM fired their co-offensive coordinator last Jan after it came to light that he had accessed computer accounts that weren't his.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35654295/michigan-says-had-proof-fired-assistant-matt-weiss

There are rumors (that are coming from the OSU corners of the internet) that UM was hacking (or trying to hack) into OSU's "cloud" and getting game plan info, practice film, etc.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Red Five said:

UM fired their co-offensive coordinator last Jan after it came to light that he had accessed computer accounts that weren't his.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35654295/michigan-says-had-proof-fired-assistant-matt-weiss

There are rumors (that are coming from the OSU corners of the internet) that UM was hacking (or trying to hack) into OSU's "cloud" and getting game plan info, practice film, etc.

That's funny. The UM boards called out the same OC for possibly giving access to the PI firm. The cops came out this morning and said the investigation into Weiss was not related, however. Conspiracy theories abound. The other Conspiracy theory is Ryan 'Karen' Day hired the firm to dig up dirt to help justify his loses. Sounds like this is flushing out quickly. Lots of leaks. My prediction is that since stealing signs is legal, and the rule about Scouting applies to employees, M will wiggle their way around it. Then the NCAA will adopt helmet headsets.

44 minutes ago, nic said:

That's funny. The UM boards called out the same OC for possibly giving access to the PI firm. The cops came out this morning and said the investigation into Weiss was not related, however. Conspiracy theories abound. The other Conspiracy theory is Ryan 'Karen' Day hired the firm to dig up dirt to help justify his loses. Sounds like this is flushing out quickly. Lots of leaks. My prediction is that since stealing signs is legal, and the rule about Scouting applies to employees, M will wiggle their way around it. Then the NCAA will adopt helmet headsets.

There are always crazy conspiracy theories.  Like "The NCAA is just out to get us."

7 hours ago, Mavric said:

There are always crazy conspiracy theories.  Like "The NCAA is just out to get us."

https://www.on3.com/teams/michigan-wolverines/news/michigan-football-what-kind-of-advantage-does-sign-stealing-give/

Or that the Big10 is out to screw NU, but then read this. Also Bolded part of the quote. And added a second to back up you comment.

“I actually spoke to a Big Ten source, who gave me a quote — if other people are out there sharing anonymous quotes and these ESPN and SI articles, I can too. So, here is what I learned, ‘Every Sunday, coaches and support staff with mutual connections throughout the conference contact each other to trade not just schematic notes, but also to trade signals. Some of the top teams who consistently trade signals and have very accurate information on common opponents are Michigan, Rutgers, Ohio State, Indiana, and Purdue. Other teams who are decent at it and would always look to trade are Illinois, Northwestern, Maryland, Minnesota, and Penn State. Wisconsin was oblivious to it but is likely no longer with the new staff. Michigan State, Iowa, and Nebraska appear to be oblivious and out of the loop.’

“The other note I wrote down from my conversation, ‘Each team knows who each team’s person is, and they have their phone number.’ So, this is a pretty common practice, and clearly this also suggests that teams aren’t necessarily as afraid of Michigan as they are publicly proclaiming — or, I should say, anonymously proclaiming. This gives credence to, ‘Michigan is annihilating everything in its path. What can we do in order to kind of keep Michigan from achieving its goals?’”

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, nic said:

https://www.on3.com/teams/michigan-wolverines/news/michigan-football-what-kind-of-advantage-does-sign-stealing-give/

Or that the Big10 is out to screw NU, but then read this. Also Bolded part of the quote. And added a second to ba k up you comment.

“I actually spoke to a Big Ten source, who gave me a quote — if other people are out there sharing anonymous quotes and these ESPN and SI articles, I can too. So, here is what I learned, ‘Every Sunday, coaches and support staff with mutual connections throughout the conference contact each other to trade not just schematic notes, but also to trade signals. Some of the top teams who consistently trade signals and have very accurate information on common opponents are Michigan, Rutgers, Ohio State, Indiana, and Purdue. Other teams who are decent at it and would always look to trade are Illinois, Northwestern, Maryland, Minnesota, and Penn State. Wisconsin was oblivious to it but is likely no longer with the new staff. Michigan State, Iowa, and Nebraska appear to be oblivious and out of the loop.’

“The other note I wrote down from my conversation, ‘Each team knows who each team’s person is, and they have their phone number.’ So, this is a pretty common practice, and clearly this also suggests that teams aren’t necessarily as afraid of Michigan as they are publicly proclaiming — or, I should say, anonymously proclaiming. This gives credence to, ‘Michigan is annihilating everything in its path. What can we do in order to kind of keep Michigan from achieving its goals?’”

Boy, that situation right there might, in itself, lead to a preposterous number of losses in one score games. Then throw in the refs swallowing thier whistles when Nebraska is on defense and not being able to breath without blowing them when Nebraska is on offense, and you have Nebraska siting out bowl games for a few years. 

58 minutes ago, commando said:

i never want to hear anyone who defends michigan and their rule breaking to ever call out a ref for missing a call.  if rules don't matter why should we even have refs on the field?  

First of all, just because a rule exists doesn't make it correct or proper. Second, why must people put everything into the same box? You can have opinions on different subjects, it's allowed in America.  These aren't the same thing, sorry it isn't all bibary like you want it to be

For the record, I despise people whining about the refs, they're human and it's part of the game, and I also think this Michigan thing is over blown and dumb.   We arguing over HOW they steal signs, and not IF, because doing so is totally legal and it would be stupid not to do so.

• TBH 1
2 hours ago, nic said:

Or that the Big10 is out to screw NU, but then read this. Also Bolded part of the quote. And added a second to ba k up you comment.

If it's not much of an advantage, why is half the Michigan sideline jumping up and down and pointing when they've got one stolen?

That article went to a lot of lengths to not talk about what Michigan is (accused of) doing.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Boy, that situation right there might, in itself, lead to a preposterous number of losses in one score games. Then throw in the refs swallowing thier whistles when Nebraska is on defense and not being able to breath without blowing them when Nebraska is on offense, and you have Nebraska siting out bowl games for a few years. 

I was thinking the same thing.