** 2023 Opponent Preview : Purdue (Game 8) **

Just a little "in your face" truth about the Husker Helmets from an opposing coach. If you haven't yet watched the Purdue Presser today (here's the link 3:30 - 3:45 mark) you should if only to hear from his point of view how he feels about the red "N" on the helmet. Those that believe our brand is fading should maybe take notice. There remains loads of tradition in this program and the single letter on the side of a helmet still means something. Enjoy his (Purdue Coach's) sentiments and remember what he said come Saturday.

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2

Well if they're allowed to start 12 defenders this could be a long game:

I didn't realize how big they are, I'd assume we see more of the 3-4 than whatever they do (2-4-5, 4-2-5, 3-3-5) for nickel. 

Some mildly interesting things that I will happily read into too much on our depth chart -

• Doss is the only slot, and I would think given Purdue's size defensively we'd like to get them in space. It would be nice to have Kemp, guess we'll see what Doss can do.
  • This might have more to do with Hill's play, but it's odd to me that we have Hartzog starting at Safety over Brown (no OR)
  • Curious who shows up out of nowhere like James Williams this week. They definitely have different guys targeted for different weeks, Wallin was a rotational DL early but will probably keep his redshirt, I'd assume we see more Williams in 3 other games.
  • At this point the ORs are definitely not alphabetical, but does that mean they mean something or they just don't bother sorting? It sure seems like the OR now means starter/backup - at least with RB, and I think for the defensive positions as well. I don't think they've touched TE, or QB since Sims got fully healthy.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

Well if they're allowed to start 12 defenders this could be a long game:

I didn't realize how big they are, I'd assume we see more of the 3-4 than whatever they do (2-4-5, 4-2-5, 3-3-5) for nickel. 

Some mildly interesting things that I will happily read into too much on our depth chart -

• Doss is the only slot, and I would think given Purdue's size defensively we'd like to get them in space. It would be nice to have Kemp, guess we'll see what Doss can do.
  • This might have more to do with Hill's play, but it's odd to me that we have Hartzog starting at Safety over Brown (no OR)
  • Curious who shows up out of nowhere like James Williams this week. They definitely have different guys targeted for different weeks, Wallin was a rotational DL early but will probably keep his redshirt, I'd assume we see more Williams in 3 other games.
  • At this point the ORs are definitely not alphabetical, but does that mean they mean something or they just don't bother sorting? It sure seems like the OR now means starter/backup - at least with RB, and I think for the defensive positions as well. I don't think they've touched TE, or QB since Sims got fully healthy.

I like the fact Purdue has pronunciations for the players names.  The announcers for the NW game could have used that for our guys 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Husker03 said:

Good for you. I hope you're wrong. I'm 0-0 when caring enough to bet against you.

Sorry if I offended you I thought this was the Purdue thread. I still got us in a bowl game. I just have a feeling this could be a bad match up and I think a lot of people think that too. Although this Purdue team is different than we have seen in years past. If we win this game though man I really think we look good 7 or 8 wins would be a real possibility. 8 wins and we could actually get a decent bowl game

23 minutes ago, ndobney said:

I just have a feeling this could be a bad match up and I think a lot of people think that too. 

Fair enough, although. Without any semblance of offensive starters, I have a feeling we don't match up well with any team who puts a defense on the field.  

This team is so screwed up it is time to just say F it all, get dirty, have fun and laugh at the ride.

If Rhule and Co find a way to etch out any more wins this season, I feel real good about our chances of competing for titles w/i the next 5 because that is some miracle worker level coaching.

• Plus1 2