2023 Fall Camp Notes - Quarterbacks

40 minutes ago, admo said:

Oh please,...

Sims:

His completion % year by year:
54.9%... 60.1%.... 58.5%...... Nothing to try hard about with those numbers.

Georgia Tech threw a ton of quick snap bubble screen passes, which ultimately increased his completion %.  The same way it helped Taylor Martinez with his overall completion % - and TMart threw that sideline quick pass twice a quarter all game.

Don't come at me with snark for putting up some alarming numbers as if the results are not what they are.

Don't tell me Nebraska doesn't have windy Saturdays at home and cold Saturdays later in the year. @ColoradoHusk On one side of the mouth you say is does happen, and the other side says it's not impactful.  Which is it?  I have seen enough games to know it will be an issue.

Don't take these caution alerts about our new QB and misunderstand me.  I have nothing do to with his previous results.

I am hoping Sims can have a great season, because I like him and love Nebraska football.  
We are going to throw short passes often, like he did at GTech.  But please don't get on me as if a few down field interceptions happen, or defender jumps a timing route, or a fumble or sack occurs.  Or if he scrambles for his life and tries to make something happen because the OLine hasn't improved much.  

He's the guy now and it's a long season.  His previous 3 years of results cannot be attributed to me for having some concern and pause. There is nothing from what he has done previously in 3 years that has anything to do with trying hard to reach a bad conclusion. 

Like I said, I hope this is the year he finally puts it together.  We need him and need him to be successful.  Time will tell, because it is a long season.  What I say should make sense, and if not, twist and turn it however you want and add the snark.  

you know that my post you quoted was me saying that Sims isn't that good?

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

@admo What do you consider a "windy" game day?  How cold does the temp need to be to where it impacts the passing game?  You are throwing out thoughts of wind and cold impacting the game, without showing how much the wind or cold has impacted the game or how often NU plays in windy conditions or very cold (which is still subjective) conditions.

Huskers.com has box scores for historical games, which includes the temp, wind, and sun conditions at kickoff.  Try doing some research to provide data which backs up your claims.  https://huskers.com/sports/football/schedule/season/2022

If you disagree, fine.  No worries. 

Sorry, but I do not have to provide you with anything.  Whatever I assert from years of games and from the pregame broadcasts showing temp and wind before kickoff, and mentioning it's windy or chilly or cold which might impact throwing the ball, field position, punting and field goals.  Why do I have to come up with proof for you?  It does get windy, it does get really cold, it does get super hot, it does impact numerous games and how things are played out.  I'm not trying throwing out thoughts.  If I mention it, accept or don't. 

• Fire 1

@admo What do you consider a "windy" game day?  How cold does the temp need to be to where it impacts the passing game?  You are throwing out thoughts of wind and cold impacting the game, without showing how much the wind or cold has impacted the game or how often NU plays in windy conditions or very cold (which is still subjective) conditions.

Huskers.com has box scores for historical games, which includes the temp, wind, and sun conditions at kickoff.  Try doing some research to provide data which backs up your claims.  https://huskers.com/sports/football/schedule/season/2022

Are you suggesting weather conditions don't affect outdoor sports?  It's a fairly basic observation.  It's the reason indoor sports exist.  I don't think you need data.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 3

54 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Are you suggesting weather conditions don't affect outdoor sports?  It's a fairly basic observation.  It's the reason indoor sports exist.  I don't think you need data.

It’s not my point at all. I’m not a moron. But, at what point is the wind affecting the passing game.  At what point is it so cold it impacts the game. My comment is that I don’t think that weather impacts the game as much as the OP commented on.  I was just looking for a percentage of games (with numbers/examples) to back it up which are impacted by weather. I don’t think it’s an unreasonable ask. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

It’s not my point at all. I’m not a moron. But, at what point is the wind affecting the passing game.  At what point is it so cold it impacts the game. My comment is that I don’t think that weather impacts the game as much as the OP commented on.  I was just looking for a percentage of games (with numbers/examples) to back it up which are impacted by weather. I don’t think it’s an unreasonable ask. 

I don't know if they're are stats kept on this either, but I think the "lore of the B1G outside in November" is overblown a bit.  For every terrible weather game, a team gets 2-3+ moderate to mild games in November I'd say.  The weather never turns bad for long stretches until December, which makes sense if winter doesn't actually start until almost Christmas.

I get that it's not 70+ degrees like in the south, but it's not like it's hard to play in 45-50 degrees and partly cloudy skies with a slight breeze either. 

Screenshot_20230822_201622_Google.thumb.jpg.0e68af27eab038d73e30eb54e72ba99b.jpgScreenshot_20230822_201603_Google.thumb.jpg.c38e56883febeb0800b26387a81d9132.jpgScreenshot_20230822_201543_Google.thumb.jpg.c666ca2d6e9c15e98305844b65d3c908.jpg

• Plus1 2

I went thru the box scores of the 2022 games, which show the weather conditions at kickoff for every game. In September and October, all of the games were above 50 degrees and had winds in the 5-12 MPH range (not what I would call strong winds).

In November, Minnesota and Michigan had early kickoffs with 40 degree temps and winds 10 MPH or less. The only games which were colder or had strong winds were Wisconsin (another early kick which had a cold morning) and Iowa (which may be the windiest location in the Big Ten).

So, out of 12 games, only 2 games had conditions which I would consider mildly adverse. That’s what I mean by saying the outdoor conditions not having a big impact in most games. 

EDIT:  Adding in the 2021 games, there was only one game with winds higher than 15 MPH (home vs. Purdue) and one game which kicked off with temps lower than 50 degrees. Yes, adverse weather conditions CAN happen, and we generally remember those games because of “crazy” weather, but those bad weather games are OUTLIERS, and not the norm. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 1
4 hours ago, The Dude said:

The amount that cold and wind affect Nebraska football games is greatly overstated by people trying to convince good players to come here. 

maybe there is one really cold and windy game here per year average where it would greatly affect the passing game. …..maybe. 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
50 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The amount that cold and wind affect Nebraska football games is greatly overstated by people trying to convince good players to come here. 

maybe there is one really cold and windy game here per year average where it would greatly affect the passing game. …..maybe. 

Might be age talking here, but I feel like adverse weather during games happened way more 20 years ago than it does now.

• Plus1 2

6 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Might be age talking here, but I feel like adverse weather during games happened way more 20 years ago than it does now.

Two things at play here.

1) Global climate changes

2) You remember the adverse weather games more often than the normal weather games, so you get a perception bias in that “adverse weather games occur more often”. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
7 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Why don’t people talk about all the games in the south are playing in horrible heat and humidity?

The weather in Nebraska is over blown as it pertains to football. 

• Plus1 2
19 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:
20 hours ago, The Dude said:

The question you are asking is very hard to answer though, and impossible to answer just based on historic box scores.   

The wind conditions effect of the passing games depends on a few factors.  What type of wind a QB is throwing in crosswind/headwind/tailwind along with whether it’s a consistent strong wind or what we all might call blustery I guess with strong wind gusts.   You also have to consider the velocity a specific QB puts on the ball along with the rotational force he generates (how well he can spin it).  You might see one QB affected a great deal more than his counterpart during the course of a game in the same conditions.

Cold conditions (wind chill factor below 25 degrees or so) I hated the most because the ball became slick, you lose feeling in your hands and touch becomes more problematic.  

Rain conditions are also variable amongst QB’s because what type of rain (downpour, slight constant drizzle, etc), how well they spin the ball and hand size quite frankly.   Someone with larger hands/longer fingers can grip the wet ball better and allow more pressure to be applied and generate more force and velocity.  

Long winded way of saying “it depends”. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2