2023 Fall Camp Notes - Wide Receivers and Tight Ends

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

I don't think anyone has been making it out to be the strength of the team.

And I'm not trying to pump sunshine either.

But we also (still) have four receivers who have caught a combined 364 passes in Division 1.  I would venture to wager that there aren't too many years of Husker football where that claim could be made going into the season.  

This is a very solid observation 

• TBH 1

10 hours ago, Mavric said:

I don't think anyone has been making it out to be the strength of the team.

And I'm not trying to pump sunshine either.

But we also (still) have four receivers who have caught a combined 364 passes in Division 1.  I would venture to wager that there aren't too many years of Husker football where that claim could be made going into the season.  

It ain't intramurals, brutha!

1 hour ago, BIG ERN said:

We aren't too far removed from Kanawai Noa or Levi Falck as our third WR option...

Who had career lines of 96/1267/6 and 54/577/2 (albeit at South Dakota, but he did go 11/140 against K State while there) respectively before coming to Nebraska. Washington has 56/837/4 coming into this year, IGC 47/759/5, Fleeks 69/707/3. Kemp doing the heavy lifting with 192/1774/8. 

I am generally an optimist, and I do fully believe the current guys are much better than Noa and Falck. But Kemp is the only one with enough career production to feel really good about, and he may catch 80 passes this year. I expect a few guys to put up solid numbers. But my biggest concern is getting explosive plays and he has a 9.2 career yards per catch. Going again by yards per catch Washington and IGC have definitely shown a bit - 14.9 and 16.1 are both great numbers. I'm just not convinced that will hold up when there's no Trey Palmer or Xavier Worthy attracting attention away from Washington, and IGC has very little experience against P5 teams. 

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Who had career lines of 96/1267/6 and 54/577/2 (albeit at South Dakota, but he did go 11/140 against K State while there) respectively before coming to Nebraska. Washington has 56/837/4 coming into this year, IGC 47/759/5, Fleeks 69/707/3. Kemp doing the heavy lifting with 192/1774/8. 

I am generally an optimist, and I do fully believe the current guys are much better than Noa and Falck. But Kemp is the only one with enough career production to feel really good about, and he may catch 80 passes this year. I expect a few guys to put up solid numbers. But my biggest concern is getting explosive plays and he has a 9.2 career yards per catch. Going again by yards per catch Washington and IGC have definitely shown a bit - 14.9 and 16.1 are both great numbers. I'm just not convinced that will hold up when there's no Trey Palmer or Xavier Worthy attracting attention away from Washington, and IGC has very little experience against P5 teams. 

Isn't Fleeks supposed to be the speedster and he's only a step or so slower than Palmer?

I would be interested in knowing what Kemp's QB was like.  We have had QBs here before that really struggled throwing past 20 yards so all of the passing game was short passes.  Maybe that's the type he was with.

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Isn't Fleeks supposed to be the speedster and he's only a step or so slower than Palmer?

I would be interested in knowing what Kemp's QB was like.  We have had QBs here before that really struggled throwing past 20 yards so all of the passing game was short passes.  Maybe that's the type he was with.

I think he is considered speedier than average, but nowhere near Palmer. The speed guys we have are freshmen, and if one or two of them can step up that would help a lot.

Look, I want to believe in this group. But every year I convince myself that a weakness on the team is not a weakness going into the year, and it's always blindingly obvious that it was in retrospect. Some guys are getting glowing reviews from the coaches - the RBs, the TEs, Sims, several guys on defense. Kemp is the only WR where I've heard comments better than "he's coming along, doing some good things," and he's going to be good. But I do think the WRs will be the limiting factor for the offense this year. If something happens to a Tackle that may quickly change to OL.

I don't think it will doom this team to 3 wins or anything, but I do think it will hold them back from really competing with the top teams on the schedule. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Is Fleeks back to practicing yet?

I think he only ended up missing a couple of days. As in, there’s no way being significantly overweight was the only issue. Perhaps somewhat out of shape and a bit overweight. But it seems to me there was probably either something else involved or it was more of a “we brought you in here to be a leader, not a slacker” kind of thing. Which is fine with me. But I don’t see the little time he missed holding him back, as long as the attitude is right. 

• TBH 3
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

I think he only ended up missing a couple of days. As in, there’s no way being significantly overweight was the only issue. Perhaps somewhat out of shape and a bit overweight. But it seems to me there was probably either something else involved or it was more of a “we brought you in here to be a leader, not a slacker” kind of thing. Which is fine with me. But I don’t see the little time he missed holding him back, as long as the attitude is right. 

Yeah....if it were because he was out of shape and heavy, a few days at home isn't going to fix that.

• Plus1 1