Bob Wager resigns…

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

In college, I volunteered to help the Nebraska State Patrol with the field testing for drunk driving for new patrolmen. They put us in a hotel room for a few hours, with whatever we wanted to drink. They monitored our BAC on an hourly basis to make sure we weren’t gonna kill ourselves with alcohol poisoning. After a few hours of drinking approximately 8-10 beers, they cut me off at .16 or .18. Needless to say, trying to “pass” the field tests was nearly impossible. If Wager was anywhere near that BAC, with an open beer in his center console, he is beyond stupid. 

Hey, I guess we have that in common too. Except my help with their field testing was more undercover.:lol: I know, I shouldn’t joke about it. It just wasn’t as taboo in the very early 80s.

As long as I’m telling the story. I knew I was screwed when I got pulled over. The officer had me tilt my head back, close my eyes and touch my nose. Nailed that. Then he wanted me to walk a straight line heel to toe. I started walking normal and he said no, no like this and then he demonstrated heel to toe walking. I thought it looked funny with his big belt and gun and all that stuff so I said “you look like a duck”. He kinda laughed and just said “get in the cruiser”. And that was how I ended up at LPD.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Teach and I were at UNL in the mid-90s (you’re welcome for those 3 Natties) and I think there was a big dance hall in that area called The Grove. Like you mentioned, if you were there, you probably weren’t sober. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the same location, with different owners/name. 

That very well could’ve been the same place.

Hey we did all we could in the early 80s. Shoulda had 1 or 2 nattys then for sure. Rozier, Fryar, Gill, Remington years. Stupid Clemson. Stupid Penn State refs.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Hey, I guess we have that in common too. Except my help with their field testing was more undercover.:lol: I know, I shouldn’t joke about it. It just wasn’t as taboo in the very early 80s.

As long as I’m telling the story. I knew I was screwed when I got pulled over. The officer had me tilt my head back, close my eyes and touch my nose. Nailed that. Then he wanted me to walk a straight line heel to toe. I started walking normal and he said no, no like this and then he demonstrated heel to toe walking. I thought it looked funny with his big belt and gun and all that stuff so I said “you look like a duck”. He kinda laughed and just said “get in the cruiser”. And that was how I ended up at LPD.

I don’t think the societal crackdown on drunk driving didn’t happen until the early 2000s. I know I drove drunk plenty of times in the 90s when I was in my late teens and early 20s. I’m fortunate to never harm anyone or be arrested.

Thankfully, with the advent of Uber/Lyft and just overall awareness, drunk driving has decreased over the past 20 years, even though kids will still be morons.  We just had some young kids drive through a fence in my neighborhood this week, and the car ended up on its roof. Of course, the kids who were driving ran away, but the owner of the car is going to face police questioning. 

• Plus1 2
54 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Yep. Wager has to be thinking WTH did I do? He was a HC in TX HS football and his first shot at college ball was a big step up and he blows it to hell in less than 8 months without ever actually coaching in a real game. :facepalm:

Guy might need professional help.

The opportunity was squandered terribly. Alcohol was more important than obligations to his family and our team. I don't want the conduct and lack of self control anywhere near student athletes. While a feel badly about the situation, actions have (or should have) consequences.

Bob gave the impression of someone that pushes himself hard and likes to keep busy. Whatever underlying issues there might be, hopefully he confronts it head on and gets the help he needs.Wishing him the absolute best from here. Could've potentially resulted in a much worse outcome.  

• Plus1 3
4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don’t think the societal crackdown on drunk driving didn’t happen until the early 2000s. I know I drove drunk plenty of times in the 90s when I was in my late teens and early 20s. I’m fortunate to never harm anyone or be arrested.

Thankfully, with the advent of Uber/Lyft and just overall awareness, drunk driving has decreased over the past 20 years, even though kids will still be morons.  We just had some young kids drive through a fence in my neighborhood this week, and the car ended up on its roof. Of course, the kids who were driving ran away, but the owner of the car is going to face police questioning. 

Yeah you don’t think about what could happen when you’re a teenager. You just figure nothing will happen and if it does you don’t consider you could kill someone. I learned all that in the classes I had to take. It’s scary to think about what could happen. So I guess I was scared straight. I too had done it numerous times prior to the time I got caught. Now I’m just thankful nothing bad ever happened.

• Plus1 2

4 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I doubt it. I think McGuire (along with Kaelin) did more recruiting of Nelson. The one area this hurts is that Wager was brought in to be that pipeline to Texas high school coaches. 

His replacement is far from being a legend over several decades but thankfully has his own bona fides and experience and connections in Texas HS as well.

I don't imagine Josh will have the job longer than just this one season regardless.

This is like when Dave Mustaine got booted from Metallica before they even recorded their first album.

20-30 years from now he'll be in a Texas bar still reliving his glory days at Nebraska, rattling on about how he's the one who laid the groundwork for all those championship teams.

• Haha 3
  • TBH 1

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

This is like when Dave Mustaine got booted from Metallica before they even recorded their first album.

20-30 years from now he'll be in a Texas bar still reliving his glory days at Nebraska, rattling on about how he's the one who laid the groundwork for all those championship teams.

And Dave is still bitter about it!  Even though he went on to form probably the second biggest metal group?

• TBH 2
10 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Cherry Hut. I’m sure it’s been gone for years. It was like an old bar/dance hall except they rented it out for parties. I think. It was on Cornhusker highway kinda just north/northwest of campus. It’s all a bit fuzzy. If you were there, you were likely inebriated.

I remember that place….kind of. Do you remember an old warehouse up north called the Brickyard that did the same thing?