Oregon & Washington to the B1G - Clemson & Florida State Next?

4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Losing good OOC games sucks.  It's fun for fans and it's at least a little bit of a taste to how your team/conference stacks up with other conferences around the country.  

However, many of the top teams in the SEC have refused to play tough OOC games, especially if they are away for years.

Do you know what else tells you how your team/conference stacks up again the rest of the country?  A playoff. :)

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, Red Five said:

But how do you compare teams in different conferences when picking the teams for the playoff if there are no non-con games?

I've never been a fan of the subjective picking method at all.  I think you should have set criteria, like the NFL does, so there is no gray area.  Win your conference for these 6 conferences and you are in.  Win 10 games and you are also in, subject to tie breakers if there are too many.  Something like that. 

In your example only two teams played in that scenario, and you can't effectively "six degrees of Kevin Bacon" them based on conference games later either.  It will always be subjective unless there are specific hurdles that you can clear to punch a ticket. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
On 8/15/2023 at 3:19 PM, nic said:

Michigan has Texas and OU on future schedules. I bet those games never get played.

The multi-million dollar question is which school balks first--Oklahoma (and separately, Texass) or Michigan? 

Unless there's some sort of clause for conference realignment, one of the schools is paying the other not to play. 

19 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

The multi-million dollar question is which school balks first--Oklahoma (and separately, Texass) or Michigan? 

Unless there's some sort of clause for conference realignment, one of the schools is paying the other not to play. 

Conspiracy theory time.  What if the B1G just happened to give them an extra Rutgers/NW/Indiana in the schedule in order to keep that OU/Texas for potential conference bragging rights? Even out the schedule overall via in conference cupcakes.

Spoiler

Notice how I left Nebraska strategically out of the in conference cupcake group

• Oh Yeah! 5

On 8/15/2023 at 5:15 PM, runningblind said:

I've never been a fan of the subjective picking method at all.  I think you should have set criteria, like the NFL does, so there is no gray area.  Win your conference for these 6 conferences and you are in.  Win 10 games and you are also in, subject to tie breakers if there are too many.  Something like that. 

In your example only two teams played in that scenario, and you can't effectively "six degrees of Kevin Bacon" them based on conference games later either.  It will always be subjective unless there are specific hurdles that you can clear to punch a ticket. 

Everything you say, almost every time, in almost all posts, seems to me to make so much sense.  I don't why but I just enjoy the hell out of it.  I like you dawg 

• Thanks 1
On 8/15/2023 at 6:06 PM, Red Five said:

But how do you compare teams in different conferences when picking the teams for the playoff if there are no non-con games?

The 12 team solves that imo.  The best teams from each conference will get in.  Maybe the 3rd best team in the SEC gets the nod over the 3rd best in the Big Ten next year but that has more to do with the perception that the SEC is better because they have been beating everyone in the playoff, not the non con preseason games.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
9 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

Michigan and Texas adjusted after USC and UCLA joined. Not sure what happens now. But are right….someone pays, unless they both ditch their away games and call it even. :cowbell:

On 8/15/2023 at 3:35 PM, runningblind said:

Do you know what else tells you how your team/conference stacks up again the rest of the country?  A playoff. :)

A playoff tells me which team has recruited depth to play two or more hard games in a row.  That is not a problem in the NFL of course.  There has never been a TCU or BYU to win in the CFP era and I expect that to continue as they have made it worse. 

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

A playoff tells me which team has recruited depth to play two or more hard games in a row.  That is not a problem in the NFL of course.  There has never been a TCU or BYU to win in the CFP era and I expect that to continue as they have made it worse. 

So it does tell us who the better team is.  :thumbs

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 2
37 minutes ago, funhusker said:

So it does tell us who the better team is.  :thumbs

I wasn't going to argue with him, but it does.  Teams like TCU/BYU can upset the big teams and cause drama, just like the NCAA basketball tourney.  Sure it's hard for them to win it all, but there are favorites in any sport.  This isn't new, but it's better than random subjectivity and arguing like we've had in college football for all time. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
7 hours ago, runningblind said:

I wasn't going to argue with him, but it does.  Teams like TCU/BYU can upset the big teams and cause drama, just like the NCAA basketball tourney.  Sure it's hard for them to win it all, but there are favorites in any sport.  This isn't new, but it's better than random subjectivity and arguing like we've had in college football for all time. 

A playoff tells you which team is best equipped to win an elimination tournament.  Pollsters can take into account all factors when deciding which team had the best season. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 5