Nebraska’s Ted Carter announced as next president at Ohio State

knapplc

EDIT 

The original post is below. This was announced lightning fast. Carter was already seated at the Ohio State BOR meeting when this news broke, and he was confirmed by their BOR a few minutes later.

Dang. I think he was really good for DONU.

Apparently the Buckeyes thought so, too. 

Nebraska’s Ted Carter expected to be next president at Ohio State

Barring a last-minute change of heart on either side, the University of Nebraska will need a new president soon.

NU system President Ted Carter, the former superintendent of the U.S. Naval Academy and a vice admiral, is expected to be named the next president at The Ohio State University in Columbus.

Ohio State University’s Board of Trustees has a meeting set for 2 p.m. Eastern, in which the trustees are expected to tap Carter. Ohio State officials declined to confirm details Tuesday morning.

But multiple people who have been informed this week of Carter’s pending departure confirmed the hiring to the Nebraska Examiner. Ohio State’s trustees must vote before the offer is final.

“Yes, he is gone,” one university leader said.

“It’s true, what you heard,” an elected official said.

“You’re not wrong,” a state official said. 

Members of the NU Board of Regents reached Tuesday either declined to comment or did not immediately return calls seeking comment. Representatives of the University of Nebraska system did not immediately return calls or messages seeking comment.

Carter just received a positive evaluation and notice for his work during the 2022-23 academic year, including notice that he would receive a $144,000 bonus. 

The regents cited his work boosting a private fundraising campaign to raise $3 billion, his efforts to secure more state funding for NU than Gov. Jim Pillen, a former regent, proposed in his first state budget. They also mentioned increased research funding and improved retention rates for young students.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

Dang. I think he was really good for DONU.

Apparently the Buckeyes thought so, too. 

Nebraska’s Ted Carter expected to be next president at Ohio State

Barring a last-minute change of heart on either side, the University of Nebraska will need a new president soon.

NU system President Ted Carter, the former superintendent of the U.S. Naval Academy and a vice admiral, is expected to be named the next president at The Ohio State University in Columbus.

Ohio State University’s Board of Trustees has a meeting set for 2 p.m. Eastern, in which the trustees are expected to tap Carter. Ohio State officials declined to confirm details Tuesday morning.

But multiple people who have been informed this week of Carter’s pending departure confirmed the hiring to the Nebraska Examiner. Ohio State’s trustees must vote before the offer is final.

“Yes, he is gone,” one university leader said.

“It’s true, what you heard,” an elected official said.

“You’re not wrong,” a state official said. 

Members of the NU Board of Regents reached Tuesday either declined to comment or did not immediately return calls seeking comment. Representatives of the University of Nebraska system did not immediately return calls or messages seeking comment.

Carter just received a positive evaluation and notice for his work during the 2022-23 academic year, including notice that he would receive a $144,000 bonus. 

The regents cited his work boosting a private fundraising campaign to raise $3 billion, his efforts to secure more state funding for NU than Gov. Jim Pillen, a former regent, proposed in his first state budget. They also mentioned increased research funding and improved retention rates for young students.

Booooo......

I liked him and thought he did well.

• Plus1 2

26 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Didn't we just move Trev and the athletic department under him instead of reporting through the new chancellor?  And we did that because Carter was a big "sports guy"?

Yes, and this set of circumstances is something I realllllly hope we don't look back on in 4-6 years and remember as a terrible decision.

• knapplc changed the title to Nebraska’s Ted Carter announced as next president at Ohio State

7 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

I am certain this has absolutely nothing to do with the incredible work of the Nebraska state legislature this year or the current political climate in this state. 

I won't go any further as this isn't the right forum, but you reap what you sow. 

I  have questions as to why we have let both our chancellor and president within a short period of time.  

Both were doing very well here. 

Is there a reason they left?

• Plus1 1