Nebraska’s Ted Carter announced as next president at Ohio State

knapplc

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I  have questions as to why we have let both our chancellor and president within a short period of time.  

Both were doing very well here. 

Is there a reason they left?

I can't remember where the chancellor went, but Ted Carter leaving for Ohio State is a step up.  The Ohio State University system is much bigger than the University of Nebraska.  It's similar to a leader leaving a mid-size company to go lead a large company which can pay more.

Plus, leaders at these schools don't stick around very long.  They go to a school for a few years, accomplish what they set out to do, and then leave for a new challenge (along with more money).  It's not necessarily an indictment against the University of Nebraska, but it does show the "pecking order" which NU is in vs. other colleges and universities in the country.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 2

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I  have questions as to why we have let both our chancellor and president within a short period of time.  

Both were doing very well here. 

Is there a reason they left?

Probably a better question for the P/R Forum. 

• Plus1 1

11 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

I am certain this has absolutely nothing to do with the incredible work of the Nebraska state legislature this year or the current political climate in this state. 

I won't go any further as this isn't the right forum, but you reap what you sow. 

No doubt in my mind this has at least something to do with it.  I just hope it doesn’t someday chase Trev or Coach Rhule away too.  

• Plus1 1

Meh it’s fine. Don’t go cheap and find another well respected individual who agreed with Ted’s stance that football and athletics should be a priority that greatly benefits both the university and state.

My hope is the on the field results improve dramatically and we can go back to a world where 99% of the ppl don’t even know the university president’s name.

• Fire 1
4 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I can't remember where the chancellor went, but Ted Carter leaving for Ohio State is a step up.  The Ohio State University system is much bigger than the University of Nebraska.  It's similar to a leader leaving a mid-size company to go lead a large company which can pay more.

Good analogy, tOSU has $1.2B in R&D expenditures, that's 4x UNL.

National Science Foundation

• Plus1 2
20 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Seriously?  You hadn’t heard of him before Rhule?  Seriously?

Well I certainly didn't know he was an admiral before Rhule brought it up one hundred times.

Probably heard about him when he got the gig, but it's not like university presidents are out the in the public eye.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

14 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

$350,000 to $1.1 million.  Now I guess we know why.  

I figured he got a nice bump in salary, but that's REALLY NICE!!  Also, the OWH guys mentioned that his new role with Ohio State would be similar to UNL's Chancellor position, where Carter will be heading up the individual Ohio State University, and not the State of Ohio university system, as he did with the University of Nebraska campuses.  One of Carter's first tasks at Ohio State will be to hire a new AD, as Gene Smith is retiring at the end of this academic year.

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I figured he got a nice bump in salary, but that's REALLY NICE!!  Also, the OWH guys mentioned that his new role with Ohio State would be similar to UNL's Chancellor position, where Carter will be heading up the individual Ohio State University, and not the State of Ohio university system, as he did with the University of Nebraska campuses.  One of Carter's first tasks at Ohio State will be to hire a new AD, as Gene Smith is retiring at the end of this academic year.

Trev wouldn't leave us for a pay day would he? 

• Haha 1
15 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Trev wouldn't leave us for a pay day would he? 

It's possible, but unlikely.  From what I know/have heard about Trev is that he doesn't hurt for money.  Even though it was 30 years ago, he made great money in the NFL.  His wife is also a former model, who had her own money.  Trev loves working at Nebraska, and has a passion for NU and the football program.  I don't think he would just leave for a bigger paycheck, because I don't think he would have that same passion at another school.

If anything, Trev wants to see this through for the next few years, be confident that he's leaving NU in a good place for the future, and then he and his wife can retire to someplace closer to his kids.

• TBH 3