What did we learn

4 hours ago, corncraze said:

I just am incredibly frustrated at the lack of urgency to win now. Deion might fail, but you have to give him credit that he completely overhauled the talent at CU in an offseason. Same can’t be said for us, and while some may disagree with me here, I don’t think we have the luxury for a slow rebuild. Our program has been in a dire state for these last few years - I really wish we’d see the win-at-all costs ASAP mentality SEC schools are taking here.

I agree.

The scary issue is that - How do you build towards a future when the passing game is this abysmal? It's one thing to be bad, which the passing game was, but it's another thing where each passing attempt is a calamity waiting to unfold. Sims was pretty close to throwing 1 or 2 more interceptions. It was that bad. Thing is, Haarberg or Purdy will have to play this season and they are worse.

This team is going to basically field the 2022 Iowa offense but with turnovers and a Line that is terrible and commits penalties. 

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, ZRod said:

#1 Husker fans are the worst. It's game one of the first season. Defense did pretty well, and they've been a huge liability for the last 5 to 10 years. 

#2 Rhule & Co are absolute fools for letting Casey go, and even more foolish for thinking Sims was some kind of answer. You have a decent passer back there tonight and this game is 35 to 3 or 42 to 10

What do the fans have to do with this? Husker fans have been enduring this BS for 20 damn years and still spending their money and showing up for games for a program that quite frankly doesnt deserve to have any fans at all. Any other school would be playing in front of only their family and friends if they played like Nebraska has for 20 years. The fans are great and we have every right to be upset. 

This game was lost because of coaching. Terrible clock management. Terrible situational coaching. Playing players in crunch time that two weeks ago you publically called out. Not using a TO at the end of the first half on the half yard line which resulted in rushing to the line and getting a false start penalty. Three straight incomplete passes with the lead in the fourth quarter when the running game has started to open up. Trotting Sims out there at all, etc. 

Its time for the sellout streak to end and for this program to get the fan support they deserve. 

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 4
6 hours ago, C-4 said:

Reckless. Sims was reckless with decision making on many of his throws, particularly on his INT's. Grant was reckless with ball security on his fumble. Rhule was reckless for putting Sims in so many dropbacks and for putting in Grant when ball security was the #1 priority while tied, late in the 4th (Rhule was aware of Sims' turnover history at GATech and Grant's problems in practice).

I believe Grant funbled after a big first down with 5 minutes to go and we were up by 7. One or two more first downs would have sealed it because I think they only had two timeouts left. 

It’s been mentioned  that we don’t have an abundance of talent at WR (eveidenced by Hill being the intended receiver on the deep ball and  his complete lack of any attempt to come back to the ball), but what is the situation with Malachi Coleman? I know he’s just a freshman, but he’s one who has the physical attributes to actually being a difference maker for us at WR. 

Just still too new and young? 

8 hours ago, SECHusker said:

-Corcoran got beat like a drum.

-Satterfield... So many questions. What happened to TEs? Why did you throw on the first drive in the fourth? And why did you put an RB with fumble issues in on a key drive.

-Why didn't Ervin carry more?

I remember reading we might have the 2 best TE's in the B1G this year....Didn't even realized they played. Carter must be chomping at the bit to be non-existent like that.

Didn't see the commitment to get 75 yards on the ground in the 4th.

Didn't see the O throwing "body blows"

Sims needs to roll out to throw.  

We need to run Solich's O when he had Crouch and JLo-2 back set, PA, run Sims, roll him out, use the TE's...

RB by committtee-WTH

OL is still bad

Satt play calling was horrible.  Carolina fans were correct

Washington looks legit

Bullock did well receiving

Alvano was as advertised

ST play better

D played well enough to win

NU will get no holding calls

The left tackle was off sides (false start)  by a mile on their last TD

A lot of folks talked talked about Prime and his first meeting with his team.  About they were 1-11 and he was bringing his own luggage.  He said they were part of the losing culture.  It wasn't just the staff, but them.  They accepted the losing.  I think that's true with NU.  This team, other than the true Fresh have built and accepted a culture of losing.  Two coaching staffs, multiple position coaches, OC/DC etc....and nothing has changed.  Players need to take ownership of this culture.  The 4th quarter they all play with the mentality of "not if, but when" will we screw up.  I have no idea how to fix that.  Next Saturday we will see if flipping 100% of your roster is the fix or not.  NU will face two of the best DB's they'll see all season and a RB who can run....

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Ratt Mhule said:

I believe Grant funbled after a big first down with 5 minutes to go and we were up by 7. One or two more first downs would have sealed it because I think they only had two timeouts left. 

Yeah, but the issue is that with proper game management the situation for a comedy of errors to lose the game never arrives.

Instead of trying to win the game given to him 10-3, Satterfield got the ball with 9 minutes left and called two passes with a QB who can't see the field. Why try to win the game 17-3 instead of taking the win Minnesota is handing to you? Just play complimentary football and use timeouts properly and they win. Instead of winning like Iowa/Minnesota/Wisconsin, he wanted to go for the dagger which was completely unnecessary. 

In my week 1 overreaction I think the defense appears to have improved considerably. They were considerably more stout in the run game then they've been in recent years. I also think that Sims is the answer and the liability all at once. The dude can ball out but he definitely needs to be safer with the ball. The OL is still terrible and until that improves, we're going to see QBs make bone headed plays because he can't get comfortable. 

All in all I think I'm more optimistic then a lot of fans this morning. We all knew the offense was going to struggle early in the season, and we HOPED the defense would be able to keep games close. We know that Rhule wants to grind out wins and he damn near did last night, in his first game at NU,  on the road against a program that has won a lot of games in recent years. This is a process and I think we are heading in the right direction.  

• Plus1 7