What did we learn

Just now, Waldo said:

That the fans are actually the losers for showing up to every game the last 10 years of misery. 
The football team gets participation trophies 7 times each year with a sold out stadium. Win or lose, they think they’re special. If you tell an ugly person they’re beautiful enough, they’ll eventually believe it. Nebraska football is evidence. 

It's true, and I thought the same for a long time, but now I see if the fan support dries up any hope is gone. The place would just crumble if the last good thing goes away, the fan support.

You absolutely can’t lose that game in that manner.  

The defense played well in spots. That’s it, the rest of it was the same old sh!t.  Thompson and Palmer are way better than any QB and WR we have and we were terrible last year. It’s going to be a long season. 4 wins max.  

I get some stud stud stud freshman recruits and hand them the starting time. We have too much dead weight and loser mentality. Colorado will drub us and enjoy it.  Another laughing stock national tv game incoming. 

• Plus1 1

I'll go against the grain and answer seriously.

I learned that what a lot of us had said about our potential offensive formations & scheme wound up being accurate - a ton of two tight end/big sets to try to get misdirection & lead blockers on running plays.

Sims was unsurprisingly the leading rusher. However, Gabe Ervin played much better than I had expected.

Special teams was solid.

The team just can't get away from false starts & turnovers that blow the game.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 2
6 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Spot on for the #1 and thank you for saying it.

#2- Tough to say, we dont have a trey palmer on this team.  Not sure how great casey would've looked either.  

I mean Casey was capable of actually throwing it to the right team and hitting the broadside of a barn. He at least would have hit the wide open post route, and probably won the game right there.

20 minutes ago, runningblind said:

This was never getting fixed in one offseason, despite all the videos and culture talk people love to eat up. Be patient. This is all about building for the future in 24 and beyond. A bowl isn't happening probably, save yourself that disappointment now, that isn't a good Minnesota team we saw tonight.

It's fair to make a theoretical trajectory based on sample size. This game - the sample size - is tainted with all the same specifics of regimes prior. The trajectory is not favorable.

This isn't to say anything is definitive. This is just as stated: a theoretical trajectory. I'm aware of the dichotomy of Rhule's starts and finishes at all of his college stops, and hopefully the same happens here. But tonight's game is not a good sign - not because we lost, but because we lost due to all the same specifics of regimes prior.

• Fire 1

A formative time for the offense and what I learned about this staff.  We threw the ball to Haarburg coming across the flat, after in-motion, in the first half.   Nice play.  We brought him in one more time on O and ran the same play in the 2nd.  He was option 1, Sims, who struggles with progressions didn't have him, and it was a mess of an incompletion.

Too predictable.

What I learned?  The offense killed us.  They HAVE to be better.

And Minny needed miracles to win.  All were answered.  

No shock.

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I mean Casey was capable of actually throwing it to the right team and hitting the broadside of a barn. He at least would have hit the wide open post route, and probably won the game right there.

This.

It's why I thought the preseason discussion of the wide receiver room holding us back was premature. I thought "let's wait until we see if Sims hits guys that are open/doesn't throw it into traffic."

I think this staff dialed into the idea of zone read because it was what they thought Alberts wanted. I'm happy to take a bunch of s*** for saying that. Thompson would have been a major asset on this roster, no matter what anybody says.

• Plus1 3