Triaging the QB room

Scarlet

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Watching the Purdy int, I’m not convinced that the War didn’t screw up.  What he did, didn’t make any sense. 

Im of the opinion, at this point, you give Purdy all the reps in practice this week and start him. 

Sims and Haarberg are done. 

To your point, Kemp absolutely allows the defender to flatten out the corner route and we know it was supposed to be a corner route because Rhule said it was.  I'm not sure I appreciate the wisdom of running a short area corner route to a 5'9 receiver in the first place, but I also thought Sims last pic was the result of Kemp flattening that corner route out as well.  Rhule's description of this play in the post game presser painted a picture similar to the pic in the Minnesota game, that's not what I see at all.  Kemp didn't take this to the corner and the CB didn't have to come off the #1 receiver to make the play, it was thrown right to him as he tracked the #1 receiver inside.  

I've watched this numerous times and I have a hard time believing he's not trying to get the ball to Coleman and he quits on the route because he thinks he's a decoy for the corner.  If he's trying to squeeze this ball into Kemp on the 7 he flattened out, all I can say is irrational confidence.  

I'd add, I'm not sure why you would have Coleman delaying his break.  I would think you'd want Coleman clearing that defender so that pass could go behind him.

27 minutes ago, floridacorn said:

To your point, Kemp absolutely allows the defender to flatten out the corner route and we know it was supposed to be a corner route because Rhule said it was.  I'm not sure I appreciate the wisdom of running a short area corner route to a 5'9 receiver in the first place, but I also thought Sims last pic was the result of Kemp flattening that corner route out as well.  Rhule's description of this play in the post game presser painted a picture similar to the pic in the Minnesota game, that's not what I see at all.  Kemp didn't take this to the corner and the CB didn't have to come off the #1 receiver to make the play, it was thrown right to him as he tracked the #1 receiver inside.  

I've watched this numerous times and I have a hard time believing he's not trying to get the ball to Coleman and he quits on the route because he thinks he's a decoy for the corner.  If he's trying to squeeze this ball into Kemp on the 7 he flattened out, all I can say is irrational confidence.  

I'd add, I'm not sure why you would have Coleman delaying his break.  I would think you'd want Coleman clearing that defender so that pass could go behind him.

I believe it was to Colman on a slant route that he doesn’t really run.  

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1

A depressing amount of both bandwidth and time will be spent dissecting Purdy's interception.

There's a reason he's the 3rd string QB. Just imagine how bad the kid must have consistently been in practice over the last 8 months to have been beaten out by Sims & Haarberg. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 2

Almost can't even bring myself to dissect our offensive box score in this game. It's like watching Iowa on ketamine.

Our "starting quarterback" has a 20% completion percentage with 1 interception. The guy who was supposed to be the starter at the beginning of the year - handpicked by the $72M coach - has a quarterback rating of 9.5. I'm not sure I've ever even seen a number that low...oh wait...Haarberg's was 0.6.

The 3rd string guy comes in and attempts 3 passes. One of them is a game-ending interception.

Combined, they threw for 47% and accounted for 5 total turnovers. And their combined QBR according to ESPN is 29.3.

**Jack Woche has entered the chat**

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

54 minutes ago, Undone said:

Almost can't even bring myself to dissect our offensive box score in this game. It's like watching Iowa on ketamine.

Our "starting quarterback" has a 20% completion percentage with 1 interception. The guy who was supposed to be the starter at the beginning of the year - handpicked by the $72M coach - has a quarterback rating of 9.5. I'm not sure I've ever even seen a number that low...oh wait...Haarberg's was 0.6.

The 3rd string guy comes in and attempts 3 passes. One of them is a game-ending interception.

Combined, they threw for 47% and accounted for 5 total turnovers. And their combined QBR according to ESPN is 29.3.

**Jack Woche has entered the chat**

It's not funny. The ridiculous of it is. :)

9 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I believe it was to Colman on a slant route that he doesn’t really run.  

In the post-game, Rhule said the pass was a corner route which was read by the defender on Coleman who came off him picked off the pass.  Slot corner passes can work great, by design, but the execution on this is poor.

1) Kemp doesn’t get enough depth in his route which would put him in a 1 on 1 matchup with his defender.

2) Coleman runs a poor route and doesn’t run a hard slant inside his defender and doesn’t clear enough space for the slot-corner route to work.

3) Purdy throws a flat pass at the goal line putting it deep in the corner giving Kemp a chance to run under and try for a catch.

This play sums up a lot of what is wrong with the offense.

1) Kemp hasn’t been healthy to practice much, but they want to throw him into games.  His timing and route-running isn’t as crisp as it should be to be effective.

2) Fans say “throw in the young WR’s like Coleman so they can get experience” but this route by Coleman shows why he wasn’t getting many reps ahead of more-experienced WR’s earlier in the season. Yeah, Coleman can look great running free in open space against NW, but he dropped a well-thrown ball by Haarberg in the first half, and he ran a poor route on this play. Having to count on young guys will get them experience, but it may also cost NU wins for this year. So fans have to understand both sides.

3) Fans have been calling for Purdy to get a series in games, what can hurt? Well, he’s not getting many reps in practice. So, yes, he can look good in a few plays, but look confused and not run the offense as called/designed on others. He was confused coming out of the huddle and burned a timeout earlier in the drive. He kept the ball on first and goal, when he was told to handoff. He then throws a poor pass into traffic on 3rd and goal.  With every possession being important, coaches can’t just throw in a guy for a series because they can’t trust to run the offense. 

Now, I actually agree that Purdy is the healthier than Haarberg right now, so he should get the first-team reps this week. Sims makes too many mistakes to ever see the field in a meaningful snap.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 2
9 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

In the post-game, Rhule said the pass was a corner route which was read by the defender on Coleman who came off him picked off the pass.  Slot corner passes can work great, by design, but the execution on this is poor.

1) Kemp doesn’t get enough depth in his route which would put him in a 1 on 1 matchup with his defender.

2) Coleman runs a poor route and doesn’t run a hard slant inside his defender and doesn’t clear enough space for the slot-corner route to work.

3) Purdy throws a flat pass at the goal line putting it deep in the corner giving Kemp a chance to run under and try for a catch.

1) Kemp hasn’t been healthy to practice much, but they want to throw him into games.  His timing and route-running isn’t as crisp as it should be to be effective.

2) Fans say “throw in the young WR’s like Coleman so they can get experience” but this route by Coleman shows why he wasn’t getting many reps ahead of more-experienced WR’s earlier in the season. Yeah, Coleman can look great running free in open space against NW, but he dropped a well-thrown ball by Haarberg in the first half, and he ran a poor route on this play. Having to count on young guys will get them experience, but it may also cost NU wins for this year. So fans have to understand both sides.

3) Fans have been calling for Purdy to get a series in games, what can hurt? Well, he’s not getting many reps in practice. So, yes, he can look good in a few plays, but look confused and not run the offense as called/designed on others. He was confused coming out of the huddle and burned a timeout earlier in the drive. He kept the ball on first and goal, when he was told to handoff. He then throws a poor pass into traffic on 3rd and goal.  With every possession being important, coaches can’t just throw in a guy for a series because they can’t trust to run the offense. 

Now, I actually agree that Purdy is the healthier than Haarberg right now, so he should get the first-team reps this week. Sims makes too many mistakes to ever see the field in a meaningful snap.

This. Sims should never play another snap again. He is the worst QB I have ever seen play football on any level. 

12 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

That pretty much sums it up. 

Purdy should get the starting  reps this week. But, fans need to understand that he’s going to make mistakes…..but, maybe he can do just enough to win (not lose the game)

• Plus1 3

1 minute ago, Cy the Cyclone said:

I don’t know how come the Huskers are so incapable of finding and developing decent QBs.  Hell…even lowly Iowa State puts more QBs into the NFL over the years than the Huskers and we all know how much ISU sucks…

Funny enough i was thinking this last night watching Iowa St drop dimes on there Wrs.  True enough though, i think its nebraska just dead to rights desire to find a dual threat qb.  That is where the problems always seem to lie.

37 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

And all of this points directly back to WHY CALL A PASS PLAY.  Satterfield should know this better than anyone.  Kemp had the issue of running flat on an earlier route when he tried to set the football like a volleyball.  

Then the call a pass play that puts an inexperienced young receiver in the same area of a not 100% receiver who had some issues earlier on with running a route to have a QB who probably got slightly more practice at QB this week than a DB just throwing the ball before starting practice.....

That's all on SATT.  He's the OC/QB coach/idiot that thought that play or an RPO or anything other than simply running the ball was a cute/tricky/look how smart I am decision.  

• TBH 1
2 minutes ago, lo country said:

And all of this points directly back to WHY CALL A PASS PLAY.  Satterfield should know this better than anyone.  Kemp had the issue of running flat on an earlier route when he tried to set the football like a volleyball.  

Then the call a pass play that puts an inexperienced young receiver in the same area of a not 100% receiver who had some issues earlier on with running a route to have a QB who probably got slightly more practice at QB this week than a DB just throwing the ball before starting practice.....

That's all on SATT.  He's the OC/QB coach/idiot that thought that play or an RPO or anything other than simply running the ball was a cute/tricky/look how smart I am decision.  

I don’t disagree with you. Satt shouldn’t have called that play. It’s not all on Satt though. Maybe it’s a play that they have repped well in practice.  I like slot corner routes when run well.  This was run very poorly. 

Satt called 2 runs to the RB on first and second down. The QB decided on his own to run a different play on first day and the run was stuffed on 2nd down. I do agree that on 3rd down, they should have ran again to get a chip shot FG attempt.  NU had to get a lead, and force Maryland to get a TD to win in regulation.

I don’t know how to fully judge Satt this year. I understand if some fans are out on him though.  I do get frustrated with his situational play calling, but it has to be difficult to call plays for players who aren’t executing what you call. 

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

I don’t disagree with you. Satt shouldn’t have called that play. It’s not all on Satt though. Maybe it’s a play that they have repped well in practice.  I like slot corner routes when run well.  This was run very poorly. 

Satt called 2 runs to the RB on first and second down. The QB decided on his own to run a different play on first day and the run was stuffed on 2nd down. I do agree that on 3rd down, they should have ran again to get a chip shot FG attempt.  NU had to get a lead, and force Maryland to get a TD to win in regulation.

I don’t know how to fully judge Satt this year. I understand if some fans are out on him though.  I do get frustrated with his situational play calling, but it has to be difficult to call plays for players who aren’t executing what you call. 

The O is a complete crap show for sure.  Injuries at every position, no real QB, young receivers, etc....Then you look at play calling and ask how can you call plays effectively as an OC with all of that.  But at the end of the day, Satt is OC/QB coach.  It's his job to prepare guys mentally and physically for the game in addition to play calling.  Imho, he has shown lacking in all of those.  Did he coach Purdy to ad lib on plays?  Does he allow QB's to do this?  And then seeing Michigan, with Heisman hopeful McCarthy, not throw one pass in the entire 2nd half to eat the clock, run the ball and win the game against PSU says a lot.....Their OC gets "it".  I realize we do not have the talent of UM, but we didn't face the talent of PSU either.....I wasn't a fan of the hire to begin with (a lot of Gamecock family/friends are fans who were delighted he left) and have gotten more so as the season has progressed.  His pressers do not instill me as a guy players would run through a wall for.  But again, that's just me....

• Plus1 1

So, who starts Saturday? Listening to “Severe Reaction “.  Sipple and Severe at a loss on who takes snaps. Apparently, Sean Callahan eluded to Sims???? Sip says Purdy has had significant groin injury all season (which may require surgery at end of year). HH is now on a bad ankle and has been really, really inept, Sims is a turnover machine and looks shellshocked, and they are very concerned about Purdy’s health!!