Triaging the QB room

Scarlet

1 hour ago, Vizsla1 said:

Does it really matter how that play went down?  First and goal from the 5 with about 3:30 left. Most important, you want to run clock, that’s more urgent than scoring. Then you need to ensure points, yet somehow we passed twice in this situation and stopped the clock. Should have dialed up three runs and a field goal if needed. Using the whole click each time

First down play was not a called pass. It wasn’t even an RPO. It was a run. They blew it up and Purdy pulled the ball and rolled out because of that. Rhule said that in his presser 

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I do truly see your view point. You didn’t like the Satterfield hire and your opinions are based on that. I was the same way with Riley and his coaching staff. It’s all good. 

Definitely tainted by my initial reaction, but not a fan of his 10 games it at NU.   Hated the Riley hire top to bottom...Like you said, all good.  Appreciate the discussions.

• Plus1 1
39 minutes ago, lo country said:

Definitely tainted by my initial reaction, but not a fan of his 10 games it at NU.   Hated the Riley hire top to bottom...Like you said, all good.  Appreciate the discussions.

I have been indifferent to Satterfield’s play calling and his offense as a whole given the roster he has, and the injuries that has hit the offense this year. Until yesterday, I don’t think there is a game where his “play calling” cost NU the game. I think it must be very challenging to call plays given the lack of talent and experience.  I don’t like everything he has done this year, and agree that he should have done the final 3 plays of the game yesterday differently. Running 3 relatively conservative plays to assure at least a FG and burning more time off the clock is what should have been done.

Despite that, the players did him no service by their lack of execution on the final 3 offensive plays.  You seem to put lack of execution on the coaches, I put that on the players. It’s another difference of opinion, which is fine.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Scarlet said:

It actually went behind him.  You can see the ball disappear behind Coleman in the second photo.  

Screen Shot 2023-11-12 at 9.23.38 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-11-12 at 9.23.56 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-11-12 at 9.24.07 AM.png

The ball didn't go behind him. You can see the stripe on his shoulder right below the shoulder stripes on his jersey in the second frame. If it did go behind Coleman, like it should have, it's a TD.

• TBH 1

45 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I have been indifferent to Satterfield’s play calling and his offense as a whole given the roster he has, and the injuries that has hit the offense this year. Until yesterday, I don’t think there is a game where his “play calling” cost NU the game. I think it must be very challenging to call plays given the lack of talent and experience.  I don’t like everything he has done this year, and agree that he should have done the final 3 plays of the game yesterday differently. Running 3 relatively conservative plays to assure at least a FG and burning more time off the clock is what should have been done.

Despite that, the players did him no service by their lack of execution on the final 3 offensive plays.  You seem to put lack of execution on the coaches, I put that on the players. It’s another difference of opinion, which is fine.

Totally with you on this. I did t like the Satt hire but I just think it’s hard to fully judge him based on the tools he has available right now. Also agree the plays calls at the end weren’t great but the play calls to get them down there were pretty damn good. It’s a work in progress and the verdict on him is out for me right now. We can’t just burn the house down every time a coach makes a bad play call

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, ZRod said:

The ball didn't go behind him. You can see the stripe on his shoulder right below the shoulder stripes on his jersey in the second frame. If it did go behind Coleman, like it should have, it's a TD.

That's the stripe of his uniform.  Where's the ball in the first photo here?  And why when it goes by him does he turn around and look behind him if it went in front of him.  

Screen Shot 2023-11-12 at 3.19.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-11-12 at 3.19.53 PM.png

26 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

That's the stripe of his uniform.  Where's the ball in the first photo here?  And why when it goes by him does he turn around and look behind him if it went in front of him.  

Screen Shot 2023-11-12 at 3.19.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-11-12 at 3.19.53 PM.png

i haven't seen the play...but if purdy was in the pocket....wouldn't the ball have gone out of bounds around the 1 yard line if he threw it behind coleman?

The throw was where it needed to be and Kemp was in the right spot.  The only thing that blew the play was Coleman.  He was supposed to be inside, thereby vacating the outside, but he didn’t get his a$$ to where he needed to be, this his defender happened to be in the throwing lane and got an easy pick.  

Purdy throws that ball assuming the receivers do their jobs.  Kemp did his, Coleman did not.

3 hours ago, ZRod said:

It’s an interception either way.  The timing on the routes and they way the routes were not run properly allowed the corner to play both areas.  The only possible completion is hitting the slant right out of the break 

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, ZRod said:

Actually I went back and looked at this again frame by frame on desk top and I stand corrected.  It damn near hit Coleman in the face mask.  It almost makes one wonder if he was Purdy's target and Coleman just didn't make the play.  I know Rhule said it was a corner route but Purdy went off script earlier in the series so who knows.  

16 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Actually I went back and looked at this again frame by frame on desk top and I stand corrected.  It damn near hit Coleman in the face mask.  It almost makes one wonder if he was Purdy's target and Coleman just didn't make the play.  I know Rhule said it was a corner route but Purdy went off script earlier in the series so who knows.  

I do think it seems like he was throwing it to Coleman but Coleman was lazy out of his break - both with his feet and with his eyes.

• Plus1 1
58 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

42 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I do think it seems like he was throwing it to Coleman but Coleman was lazy out of his break - both with his feet and with his eyes.

I'm pretty sure Coleman was trying his damnedest not to catch it because that's not supposed to go to him. He looks like he tried to push his body back away from the ball so he doesn't disrupt the pass. That lines up with how Rhule said the play should work.

There's a lot we could say Coleman "could have done", but I think it was ultimately a bad throw by Purdy. It needed to be just inside the pylon, not 4 yards inside of it.