Triaging the QB room

Scarlet

2 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Why are you surprised by that? Don't watch many Ohio State games I take it?

It doesn't have anything to do with if I watch OSU football or not.  It surprises me that any team, especially a good team, wouldn't have one QB rushing TD in 3 years.  Not even a QB sneak at the goal line?  A scramble from the 5 or 10?

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

It doesn't have anything to do with if I watch OSU football or not.  It surprises me that any team, especially a good team, wouldn't have one QB rushing TD in 3 years.  Not even a QB sneak at the goal line?  A scramble from the 5 or 10?

I can see that, but that team specifically doesn't call runs for QBs. That's the reason I asked if you watched them much.  I like it, I'd rather not have a QB run outside of a scramble or maybe a sneak as you mentioned. Always ends in them being knicked up late in the year.

• Plus1 1

Maybe I missed it, but isn't Jeff Sims eligible to play another year? And doesn't everyone agree, Jeff Sims included, that he probably should never take the field again? And can we congratulate Hendrick Haarberg on stepping in, having to learn quick, and getting three wins while also agreeing there's probably no place on the QB depth chart for him? And for that matter, give Chubba Purdy props for playing pretty well for 2.25 games while hoping he is not our best hope for next season?

If so, when and how does Rhule give these guys his honest appraisal of their chances next season?  He said all the diplomatic things to the press, but does he really think HH or Purdy can still be groomed, or should any QB coming through the portal get the job by default?  

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Maybe I missed it, but isn't Jeff Sims eligible to play another year? And doesn't everyone agree, Jeff Sims included, that he probably should never take the field again? And can we congratulate Hendrick Haarberg on stepping in, having to learn quick, and getting three wins while also agreeing there's probably no place on the QB depth chart for him? And for that matter, give Chubba Purdy props for playing pretty well for 2.25 games while hoping he is not our best hope for next season?

If so, when and how does Rhule give these guys his honest appraisal of their chances next season?  He said all the diplomatic things to the press, but does he really think HH or Purdy can still be groomed, or should any QB coming through the portal get the job by default?  

I think he knows HH is not a QB, and he tells him that.  I think Purdy stays and gets a legit shot, with competition from a portal QB and a freshman. Purdy still has potential and has the tools to succeed.

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Sims is done. He knew that mid season. 

HH knows he’s not a QB long term, but he stepped up amazingly on a very difficult situation and tried. Now….you're a tight end. 

Purdy….You're a QB.  We want you to stay and compete. We are going to bring at least one more in to possibly be the starter. He’s going to be someone with a lot of hype and probably experience. If you beat him out, you’re the guy. If not, we would love to have you as the back up. 

if he transfers, we need to find a late transfer in and he can compete with Kaelin for the backup. 

• Plus1 1

12 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I think he is close to graduating so he could be a grad transfer if he felt he needed to play another season. 

1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

Could also transfer down a level I think - not sure if that's something he would be interested in, but he could dominate and probably have some actual fun playing QB again.

How often does this happen?  Specifically with QBs.

They go down to FCS or D2 and just light the world on fire (dominate).  You're still going to get pressured.  Your receivers are still going to be covered.  You probably still going to throw picks.

• TBH 1
7 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

How often does this happen?  Specifically with QBs.

They go down to FCS or D2 and just light the world on fire (dominate).  You're still going to get pressured.  Your receivers are still going to be covered.  You probably still going to throw picks.

It happens much slower though, that's the idea. No guarantee of success, but you have to admit it's easier in FCS or D2.

• TBH 1
8 minutes ago, runningblind said:

It happens much slower though, that's the idea. No guarantee of success, but you have to admit it's easier in FCS or D2.

I suppose the likelyhood of success if solely looking at athletic ability (speed, strength, explosiveness, quickness) would be higher at a lower level.  If you run faster or jump higher I guess it could be an 'easier' playing field.  For example, there's a girl at Wesleyan that ran track and Nebraska.  She transferred and is now a D3 national champion.

Many of the characteristics that make a good QB are skill driven or even between the ears.  Sims issues don't appear to be athletic related.  Because you're in FCS it doesn't all the sudden mean evaluating a defense is easier.  Eluding a rush doesn't become easier because you're playing South Dakota State.

32 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I suppose the likelyhood of success if solely looking at athletic ability (speed, strength, explosiveness, quickness) would be higher at a lower level.  If you run faster or jump higher I guess it could be an 'easier' playing field.  For example, there's a girl at Wesleyan that ran track and Nebraska.  She transferred and is now a D3 national champion.

Many of the characteristics that make a good QB are skill driven or even between the ears.  Sims issues don't appear to be athletic related.  Because you're in FCS it doesn't all the sudden mean evaluating a defense is easier.  Eluding a rush doesn't become easier because you're playing South Dakota State.

The stuff between the ears doesn't necessarily become super easy, but I would argue the physical part is quite different. It should be much easier to elude a rush against South Dakota State.  There's a reason those kids aren't starting for Ohio State.  He can win being more physically gifted at a lower level is what I am getting at, making the mental part less important.

14 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Sims is done. He knew that mid season. 

HH knows he’s not a QB long term, but he stepped up amazingly on a very difficult situation and tried. Now….you're a tight end. 

Purdy….You're a QB.  We want you to stay and compete. We are going to bring at least one more in to possibly be the starter. He’s going to be someone with a lot of hype and probably experience. If you beat him out, you’re the guy. If not, we would love to have you as the back up. 

if he transfers, we need to find a late transfer in and he can compete with Kaelin for the backup. 

Couldn't agree more with your breakdown here.  You would think Rhule would be able to tell Chubba, just look at this program the past 13 years... there may have been a handful of years, if that, where one qb played every single game (assuming a transfer comes in and wins the job). 

Im actually not too fearful of chubba transferring- he's kind of at the point now where its time to s#!t or get off the pot.  If he takes another step in the offseason and wins the job, great.  If he doesnt, I'm not sure what kind of market there is for him from other P5 teams when he's already transferred once and isn't necessarily that young.

46 minutes ago, runningblind said:

The stuff between the ears doesn't necessarily become super easy, but I would argue the physical part is quite different. It should be much easier to elude a rush against South Dakota State.  There's a reason those kids aren't starting for Ohio State.  He can win being more physically gifted at a lower level is what I am getting at, making the mental part less important.

Doesn’t happen much.

What is more typical is a guy moving up and excelling.  The running back from Missouri or that all purpose guy at Arizona State.  A local example would be Toure.

Don’t hear many going down and dominating stories.  It’s an assumption that rarely pans out.

3 hours ago, runningblind said:

I'm not sure using South Dakota State as the example is probably the best one.  They are probably better than half the teams in the BIG West, and he failed miserably playing against said teams.  But I get what you are saying.

• Plus1 1