malachi coleman

BoSolich

12 minutes ago, Enhance said:

If memory serves, the logistics of the transfer portal were set up some time around 2018. Rhule took over as the Panther's HC in 2020. So from a timing perspective he got some taste or experience with it.

I thought that the the current transfer rules (immediate transfer without sitting out a season) started in 2021 or 2022, because that was the same time that NIL started, and I remember the talk about how the combination of the two threw college sports in a loop.  So, while it may have been discussed for a while, it wasn’t in place until Rhule was gone from Baylor. I do think that the new transfer rules, has forced Rhule to adjust his mindset of building a program, in terms of both keeping players and bringing them in as transfers.

• Plus1 2

11 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I thought that the the current transfer rules (immediate transfer without sitting out a season) started in 2021 or 2022, because that was the same time that NIL started, and I remember the talk about how the combination of the two threw college sports in a loop.  So, while it may have been discussed for a while, it wasn’t in place until Rhule was gone from Baylor. I do think that the new transfer rules, has forced Rhule to adjust his mindset of building a program, in terms of both keeping players and bringing them in as transfers.

You may be right TBH I was going mostly off memory.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, soup said:

Omarion Miller would like a word about freshmen WR starters. (that was in the running to come to NE but went to CU)  BUT, to be very clear it took him until the Buffs 5th game and a top 5 QB throwing him the ball for him to finally "breakout"

So, there is some truth to the fact that it takes a hot second for an offensive player as a freshmen to gain some footing.

We should be comforted in the fact that we have had so many freshmen playing on defense, that playing freshmen for this coaching staff will not be an issue.  But we do need them to at least know the playbook first.

Plus a rash of injuries in CU's receiver core. 

• TBH 1

33 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Well, with Washington’s injury last night (which didn’t look good), the coaches had no choice but to play Coleman, and Coleman was in for 57 snaps. Coleman will be getting first team reps in practice now, so maybe we can see good things from him the second half of the season. 

Probably could have seem him run for a td but HH can't hit the broad side of a barn when throwing 

• TBH 1
17 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Yeah the old "You are in or your are out" idea is okay...but not when you are talking about super talents.

Do all you can to keep them.

He was wide open at least three other times Friday on plays that he didn’t see the ball come his way (2 of which looked like he should be the first read even) but HH decided that wasn’t open enough to throw the ball in his direction. 

• TBH 2

5 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

He was wide open at least three other times Friday on plays that he didn’t see the ball come his way (2 of which looked like he should be the first read even) but HH decided that wasn’t open enough to throw the ball in his direction. 

Yeah, well, Coleman will be playing next year.  HH will not be, so, there is that.

• Plus1 2
25 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

We need to keep talent here, we need to keep home state talent here also.  The persuit on this guy in the off season by the coaches was crazy to just let that go.  Get him in the mix, hes loves this place and this is the type of young man you want representing the program.  

I don’t think the coaches have handled him poorly. Coleman struggled with some things, and that’s why he wasn’t seeing the field for a lot of snaps. Coaches have to play the guys who they think can do best in the games. For most coaches, that’s showing it in practice first. However, the coaches seemed to be trying to find ways to get him on the field.  Coleman is now going to play a lot, and that’s exciting. He has a lot of talent. He just needs to match that talent with everything else required to be successful. 

• TBH 5

He got a real taste by being out there a lot, catching a pass, running routes, making some key blocks, and could see how happy Coleman was when HH ran that option play for a touchdown run.  He was so excited celebrating with him. 

Little by little he's going to become more comfortable out there and wanting to make more plays.  I was happy for MC.  

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, teachercd said:

Yeah the old "You are in or your are out" idea is okay...but not when you are talking about super talents.

Do all you can to keep them.

I don't disagree with this concept in general but there are plenty of players labeled 4 & 5 stars that take a year or two before they are ready for this level.  Not saying Coleman won't be the guy by the end of the year but fans need to understand that not every "star" freshman is ready to excel out of the gate.    

• TBH 3