malachi coleman

BoSolich

If I’m the HC, I am evaluating guys based on talent/abilities every day.  IF, Coleman is as advertised, but lacks the knowledge/grasp the playbook, maybe needs to get bigger/stronger I am still going to get a few plays that he would be an asset to use. Ie if he has break away speed, I get him and the staff) confident in his ability to run them. Maybe just 2-3 plays and out of multiple formation to not be telegraphing the play. See what he can do.  Now that 19 receivers are injured, the fact several are seniors, and the young guys are the future I’d throw them in as much as possible.  Without lessening our chances to win or getting them destroyed by perhaps not being physically ready.  

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

You obviously aren’t going to accept that Coleman wasn’t ready to play a lot of snaps early in the season despite reasons that people have given. You played sports, and while I am sure you were a great athlete, don’t you agree that sometimes the  best athletes aren’t ready to contribute right away? We aren’t pushing back on Coleman’s playing time, but we see reasons why he wasn’t coming in, being an automatic starter, and not getting many snaps until Illinois. 

I’m excited for Coleman to play more. It’s a great opportunity for him. Plus, this playing time will help him be a bigger contributor the next 2-3 seasons. I hope he plays great as a Husker, goes to the NFL as a draft pick, and makes great money.

Thank you, and yes I was a great athlete, so sometimes my frustrations come out in the worst way.  And from experience, I have seen some talent that took time to gain confidence and slowly develop instead of shining right away.  So you are most definitely right about that.  

My main concern about this program, this process, this new hire and staff, is that I would much rather put guys on the field this year so that it will build them up for next year.  I am already looking beyond this year, towards next season, with the mindset to get them a lot of snaps this year, some catches, some runs, some kind of positive energy, so they can have confidence going into Spring/Summer/Fall.  I don't want to waste a year if that makes sense?  I would give MC a few quick screens to feel the game, some routes, and some blocking assignments.  Shouldn't be so hard to incorporate the future into the present.  

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Enhance said:

You're asking this question after using recruiting rankings, blaming media/hype videos, and the hypothetical belief that he'd be catching passes for Caleb Williams as some of the reasons for why a freshman WR should be more involved?

Surely that level of fanatical irony isn't being lost on you, but the fact you're defending your perspective so ardently and combatively suggests it might be.

I don't think that was very kind of you to say, especially as a MOD?  The way you said it comes off snarky and calling it fanatical irony and combative?  Good grief dude.  

To answer your question, Yes.  I have explained why.  I am speaking my opinion.  They are strong opinions.  Read the room.  We our discussing our views.  Some don't agree with me, and that's fine.  And it may not align with your viewpoint, but that doesn't matter, or does it?

Message board sir.  Opinions.  Thoughts.  Discussions.  Disagreements.  No personal attacks though, okay?  If you disagree, just say it.  I'm fine with that.  And I disagree with what you said from what you took from me.  So there, all is good.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, admo said:

Do you?  Speak for yourself.

Me?  For how coveted he was throughout the nation?  Yeah I would. 

Going into the year, your Huskers went 4-16 in their last 20 games.  Lost the first 2 as well.  That's an 18% winning percentage, and 82% losing percentage.  By that alone I look at putting the best talent on the field.

And so the season starts, and you run onto the field with 2 transfer players at receivers - Casteneda who played 2 games last year, got hurt, quit, went into the transfer portal, came back.......  and Billy Kemp - who might be 5'7" tall in cleats.  That shorter than 2 yards on the field.  Plus you run out a walkon from Nebraska - Bullock. 

Casteneda, Kemp, Bullock.  Day 1 starters.  

Are you even thinking this through ??   

Damn straight I would put Malachi Coleman out there.  He deserves as much opportunity as those guys did.  I want my best talent on the field and we can grow from there.  

I see you don't think so which is probably why you responded with that type of question.  And that's fine.  We just think differently obviously.  

Words, words, and more words that still don't say a damn thing about how ready he actually is to see the field in a P5-level game.

Tell me: how much have you actually seen Coleman play against college-level competition? You know, the thing that actually DOES matter in determining how much he should see the field?  Do you suppose maybe, just maaaaaybe the coaches have seen a little more of his performance than you have, and they aren't just holding him out because they want to sabotage themselves for some inexplicable reason?

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, admo said:

Do you?  Speak for yourself.

Ok, will do.

I have to believe that the head coach is doing whatever he needs to do to be successful.  That doesn’t mean all his decisions are correct, but I’m sure he believes they are.

Id assume those decisions are based upon several factors.  Probably none of them have to do with how they performed at a Nike camp.

Given you know literally know nothing about him other than his bio, you have to trust your coach is doing what is right.  He’s at every practice and has probably had many conversations with him.  He’s going to have some opportunities now and we can see what he does with them.  I saw him open several times as well as a few solid blocks.

• Plus1 4

1 hour ago, Toe said:

Words, words, and more words that still don't say a damn thing about how ready he actually is to see the field in a P5-level game.

Tell me: how much have you actually seen Coleman play against college-level competition? You know, the thing that actually DOES matter in determining how much he should see the field?  Do you suppose maybe, just maaaaaybe the coaches have seen a little more of his performance than you have?

Oh man.  I'm done.  I'm over it.  

I would like to build toward the future, to next year.  I wanted to see MC out there 25-30 snaps a game since Day 1.  I have said why.  Coaches disagree fine.  You disagree fine.   

Don't ask me "Do Do Do" with all the questioning like I am on stand in the Peoples Court.  I'm just giving my strong thoughts and opinions again.... just like I did when you scratched through all of my previous words. 

He played 57 snaps last game.  Made a few terrific blocks. He ran routs ok. He got open a few times, and he also caught a 5 yard pass another time.  That's the only extended time I've seen him play in a game, and for that it sure wasn't bad on film.  

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
29 minutes ago, admo said:

I don't think that was very kind of you to say, especially as a MOD?  The way you said it comes off snarky and calling it fanatical irony and combative?  Good grief dude.  

To answer your question, Yes.  I have explained why.  I am speaking my opinion.  They are strong opinions.  Read the room.  We our discussing our views.  Some don't agree with me, and that's fine.  And it may not align with your viewpoint, but that doesn't matter, or does it?

Message board sir.  Opinions.  Thoughts.  Discussions.  Disagreements.  No personal attacks though, okay?  If you disagree, just say it.  I'm fine with that.  And I disagree with what you said from what you took from me.  So there, all is good.  

You asked another poster if they were "sensitive much" and condescendingly asked another post if they were "thinking something through." That's just a couple of instances of your posts combative and condescending, which is well within my right to point out as an admin.

There also was not a single personal attack in anything I said, so don't try to blow smoke on a fire when there isn't one.

As for your posts on the topic, yeah, I think they're fanatically ironic. It's a message board, and as you so kindly pointed out, I'm well within my right to share that opinion with you and disagree with you. I'm not sure why that necessitates getting a tutorial on how a message board works. The fact you posted it opens yourself up to contradiction and dissention. Such is life.

• Plus1 5
  • TBH 1

We’re going to go through all this with Carter Nelson next year, aren’t we?

People are going to assume he should be a day 1 starter because of his recruiting rankings and who else wants him.  When in reality he is not going to ready coming from 8 man football and never playing TE before.

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, Enhance said:

You asked another poster if they were "sensitive much" and condescendingly asked another post if they were "thinking something through." That's just a couple of instances of your posts combative and condescending, which is well within my right to point out as an admin.

There also was not a single personal attack in anything I said, so don't try to blow smoke on a fire when there isn't one.

As for your posts on the topic, yeah, I think they're fanatically ironic. It's a message board, and as you so kindly pointed out, I'm well within my right to share that opinion with you and disagree with you. I'm not sure why that necessitates getting a tutorial on how a message board works. The fact you posted it opens yourself up to contradiction and dissention. Such is life.

When a poster scratches out nearly every word I said, which were my opinions, somehow you think I was wrong ? for asking if they were sensitive to my thoughts?  

Did you skip over this part?  Because that is what I responded to.  

I understand your POV and @Hilltop POV as well.  However, there are certain 4 star recruits that are just more gifted and talented than other recruits.  The two examples that come to mind are Fidone and Coleman.  

Malachi got schollie offers from USC, Penn State, Oklahoma, Kentucky, Missouri, Colorado, MICHIGAN, Oregon, Ole Miss, Florida State, etc.  

These are guys you get onto the field and into the rotation Day One. 

6 hours ago, admo said:

I understand that and so do others.  There is nothing wrong with Husker fans getting excited about guys like Coleman and Fidone playing right away and making contributions and small impacts throughout their first season.  

But is it really their fault?  

Seriously, who talked about Malachi Coleman his entire JR and SR year when he was in high school?  The media and the writers from Omaha and Lincoln, and UNL twitter feed shoved amazing highlights and stories about him for more than a year and during the offseason too.  Blame those guys for the hype and not the fans.  He committed to Nebraska and more highlights and stories followed.  What is a fan to do?  Ignore all that from the past 16-24 months?  And be patient?  And wait until next year while walkon recievers are getting schollies?  It's not the Husker fans fault when they have been fed the hype and kool-aid.  Malachi could be at USC right now playing with Heisman QB Caleb Williams..... and he'd probably have 7-10 catches while in the 2 man rotation through 6 games.  Nebraska, with Haarberg and Sims need him even more.  And fans can see that too.  

"There, I crossed out the stuff that doesn't matter at all with regards to whether or not Coleman should be on the field for you. Hopefully that helps clear some things up."

Also, I was never condescending as you keep echoing and implying about my posts.  Please stop with that.  Asking in a suggestive manner if one is "thinking it through" is not an insult.  It refers to if someone is carefully considering a possibility to something.  It's not derogatory.  

As far as the rest of the stuff you said, whatever.  I'm just talking football and not contradiction and dissention.  So again, misunderstanding.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, lo country said:

If I’m the HC, I am evaluating guys based on talent/abilities every day.  IF, Coleman is as advertised, but lacks the knowledge/grasp the playbook, maybe needs to get bigger/stronger I am still going to get a few plays that he would be an asset to use. Ie if he has break away speed, I get him and the staff) confident in his ability to run them. Maybe just 2-3 plays and out of multiple formation to not be telegraphing the play. See what he can do.  Now that 19 receivers are injured, the fact several are seniors, and the young guys are the future I’d throw them in as much as possible.  Without lessening our chances to win or getting them destroyed by perhaps not being physically ready.  

Kind of sounds like how the Staff has handled Coleman.  

• Plus1 4

13 hours ago, admo said:

He played 57 snaps last game. 

Wait, you mean to tell me that on Monday, Rhule said that the younger WRs were on the precipice of seeing more playing time, and then on the following game day Coleman played a bunch of snaps? It's almost like Rhule was keeping him out because he wasn't ready to see the field yet, but kept an eye on him until he was ready and then played him! :dunno

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 3
Just now, Toe said:

Wait, you mean to tell me that on Monday, Rhule said that the younger WRs were on the precipice of seeing more playing time, and then on the following game day Coleman played a bunch of snaps? It's almost like Rhule was keeping him out because he wasn't ready to see the field yet, but kept an eye on him until he was ready and then played him! :dunno

I'm with you in general, but a big part of the snap count being that high was Washington being hurt. Coleman's role had been increasing already though.

• TBH 2
8 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

And Coleman didn’t play against Michigan because of a concussion suffered in practice that week, but the coaches need to be criticized for not playing him. 

That is what we were told, but then how did Malachi practice Sunday immediately after the Michigan game?  There are vids of him making plays.

That's a super quick clearance for concussion protocol if you ask me.  Not trying to be a jerk here either.  

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1