malachi coleman

BoSolich

16 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

You seem like a good guy, but you’re exhausting. 

Thank you.  You are absolutely right tho, because I was exhausting. 

Just needed to vent and get it out of my system :).  So I am now back to good.  

If I read the room, I definitely don't want to upset the masses here, because this is the only place where I have Husker friends to talk with (or vent like I have been doing :dumdum ).  Which is why I feel good about everything I said and can move on now without any worries.  

I have nothing else to add lol.  All is good - GBR :cheers

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

People have no idea why a certain player isn’t seeing the field.  Rhule clearly has no problem playing young players his first year. He did it at Temple, Baylor and is doing here on defense. 

It sure seems like people are upset with Rhule for not playing Colman more before now. 

Upset would be way too strong a term for me. Can't speak for Admo. 

It's not the craziest take, nor a slam on Rhule, that a fan might want to see more meaningful snaps for the younger players, given a season already pegged as a learning experience with low expectations. It's working on defense, and on offense we might not have much choice. For me it's not just Coleman, it's every WR and RB who was good enough to make the team. We are lacking a breakout offensive player at the moment, and history suggests there's probably one waiting in the wings. And nobody's talking about supplanting that hard-working starter --- just giving the youngsters a little more time, rhythm and play design. 

A player who is permanently scarred by a humbling freshman experience isn't likely to make the cut further down the line. 

I mean, if we accept that coaches always know more than the fans, HuskerBoard itself will cease to exist. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
6 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Upset would be way too strong a term for me. Can't speak for Admo. 

It's not the craziest take, nor a slam on Rhule, that a fan might want to see more meaningful snaps for the younger players, given a season already pegged as a learning experience with low expectations. It's working on defense, and on offense we might not have much choice. For me it's not just Coleman, it's every WR and RB who was good enough to make the team. We are lacking a breakout offensive player at the moment, and history suggests there's probably one waiting in the wings. And nobody's talking about supplanting that hard-working starter --- just giving the youngsters a little more time, rhythm and play design. 

A player who is permanently scarred by a humbling freshman experience isn't likely to make the cut further down the line. 

I mean, if we accept that coaches always know more than the fans, HuskerBoard itself will cease to exist. 

I think everyone would love to have our hough WRs and RBs out tearing it up.  But...they have to be doing what it takes to earn those snaps.

21 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I gotta be careful not to read too much into press conference comments, but I do think Rhule is pushing for this more than has happened. Position coaches (and the playcaller) have control over who is in on a given snap, and Rhule has brought up guys he "wants to see more of in games" a few times. Just mentioned today that he's been on Knighton about getting Van Poppel more snaps. 

But there is a lot to balance - I do think the position coaches feel more pressure to show loyalty to the guys doing everything right, even if their ceiling is lower. And there's absolutely a CYA element, if the freshman messes up Rhule is going to be on them about why the player wasn't able to handle it. It's also easy for a playcaller to draw up a handful of plays designed for the young guys. But then they run out there and the defense is doing something they didn't show on film, or the QB has to scramble, or we've only had 6 plays in a quarter and need to drain some clock, and it just doesn't get called. They had a play specifically for Doss this week but checked out of it due to the defense showing a corner blitz. 

I'm with you in general on this - at the end of the day, if it matters to the coaches (which it should) they need to find a way to make it happen. It's gonna happen now no matter what though, Bullock and Hahn can't play every snap of every remaining game.

4 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I don't necessarily think the narrative around Coleman is hinged upon accepting the coaches are always right. I think it's more about setting the tone of how we want to think about or critique it.

There's been quite a lot of insinuation (and maybe this is just me thinking there's insinuation :) ) that the coaches somehow aren't doing their jobs good enough because they're putting some young guys in. I just think it's a slippery slope. Plus, we don't really know if any of these young guys are part of the Nebraska future with how the transfer portal is, and there are other guys on the roster who have also earned snaps.

I think it's fair to ask the questions and posit for more playing time but not if it comes with the suggestion that there's some disservice happening towards the young guys or towards the future. I think the latter goes a bit overboard.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
7 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I don't necessarily think the narrative around Coleman is hinged upon accepting the coaches are always right. I think it's more about setting the tone of how we want to think about or critique it.

I was trying to be funny. It's basically impossible to express criticism of any team without throwing a little shade on the coach, and without criticism there are no fansites. 

• TBH 1

I know myself was never critical of Rhule. I was frustrated that we have a top 100 recruit that is not getting targeted through no fault of his own. It lies 100% at the feet of the current QBs. 

If he’s out there getting snaps (before Washington got hurt) it absolutely means the coaches like what they have seen and want him out there. Do the rumorville people really think Rhule and Satterfield are  the type of coaches that are going to reward laziness or immaturity with playing time? 

I also don’t buy into that he’s not getting targeted because we play slow and not a lot of passing plays are being ran. While that’s true, it’s a symptom of subpar QBs and the coaches don’t trust them to make those plays. Again it falls at the feet of the QBs and their subpar play. He has been open and our QBs suck. Deal with it, embrace it. 

We better get a qb that is a qb and fast or this rebuild is not going to break ground.