Why Nebraska will never return to glory

unl7fan

3 hours ago, unl7fan said:

Maybe it is a sign we stick with the old instead of adapting to the new. Adidas is a sign of old, Nike is always adapting, adidas does the same old boring s#!t. We have had head coaches that were fine, but there are always holes in the quality of assistants. They hire friends instead of the best out there. FWIW People would laugh at you if you wore adidas gear with Jordan’s or Dunks outside of the middle of the country. Whole different world where the best recruits live.

To be honest I think adidas gear is more comfortable and higher quality in clothing, casual shoes and athletic shoes/equipment. I think people in Nebraska and the middle of the country have their s#!t together better than most of the wackos on the east and west coast. So I could care less if some tool in California laughs at my adidas shoes. 

Kids don’t choose their school based on Nike. Sorry but they don’t. I don’t know who created that dips#!t argument. Probably Nike. Oh under armour shoes are total dogs#!t. 

Kids choose their school based on playing time, current roster quality, current recruiting success and other committed players, current success on the field, facilities, how well the coaches sell their vision and who they are as a person. If there are 15 things kids care about Nike logo on the jersey is about the last item. Georgia and Alabama success has nothing to do with apparel. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 2
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, unl7fan said:

Jeff Sims had a much larger sample.. Kirby didn’t choose Stetson, Stetson chose Georgia and found his way to the top over some top QB prospects due to development. Sims has had years of turnovers and starts and we still CHOSE him. These aren’t even comparable situations just an example of how many better QBs there are out there.

And, again, showing that you don't know what you're talking about.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 4

4 hours ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

i-dont-know-if-youre-allowed-to-do-that-

Smart Alec. Kirby Smart. I'm seeing the connection you're intending to make here! Isn't it true that you nearly caused an evacuation of your family home trying to make grits with stinky Raclette? What a goof...It seems that you have the powers of reasoning of a wooden post!!!  :facepalm:

Back on topic. What if instead of a ball, the QB views them as options to throw to and defenders get lost in his field of vision? 

7 hours ago, unl7fan said:

Maybe it is a sign we stick with the old instead of adapting to the new. Adidas is a sign of old, Nike is always adapting, adidas does the same old boring s#!t. We have had head coaches that were fine, but there are always holes in the quality of assistants. They hire friends instead of the best out there. FWIW People would laugh at you if you wore adidas gear with Jordan’s or Dunks outside of the middle of the country. Whole different world where the best recruits live.

I live outside the middle of the country and rock my Adidas slides, cargo shorts and Nike T while buying Kirkland socks at Costco...winning!!!

$20 you watch "Keeping Up With The Kardashians"

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1
7 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

To be honest I think adidas gear is more comfortable and higher quality in clothing, casual shoes and athletic shoes/equipment. I think people in Nebraska and the middle of the country have their s#!t together better than most of the wackos on the east and west coast. So I could care less if some tool in California laughs at my adidas shoes. 

Kids don’t choose their school based on Nike. Sorry but they don’t. I don’t know who created that dips#!t argument. Probably Nike. Oh under armour shoes are total dogs#!t. 

Kids choose their school based on playing time, current roster quality, current recruiting success and other committed players, current success on the field, facilities, how well the coaches sell their vision and who they are as a person. If there are 15 things kids care about Nike logo on the jersey is about the last item. Georgia and Alabama success has nothing to do with apparel. 

http://amp.thecomeback.com/ncaa/uniforms-recruits-college-football-matter.html There are tons of studies and articles out there explaining what you fail to see. This is just one of them. Try to be less inside the bubble and wake up to reality outside the small population of the Midwest 

• Haha 3
  • TBH 2
2 hours ago, UniversalMartin said:

I live outside the middle of the country and rock my Adidas slides, cargo shorts and Nike T while buying Kirkland socks at Costco...winning!!!

$20 you watch "Keeping Up With The Kardashians"

I do not but a lot of people do aka why they still have a show and influence millions

On 9/12/2023 at 1:48 PM, unl7fan said:

Volleyball the big bread winner of sports…

On 9/11/2023 at 1:01 PM, ndobney said:

E90E61FC-858C-4764-BC24-2A9D754264B9.png

On 9/12/2023 at 1:48 PM, unl7fan said:

Let's analyze this, shall we?

The volleyball team plays 29 regular season games, with up to 5 playoff games in the post season. (I think? Not too sure about how that all works...). Of the 29 regular season games, 17 of them are home games. 

So. Take the premise that a dome should be built over Memorial Stadium and the field should be converted to a volleyball court on a more permanent basis. Second, assume that ticket prices will be roughly comparable to football tickets. Third, assume good attendance (~80% capacity, if not full sellouts).

Compare 7 sellout home games for football to 17 80% or greater attendance at home games for volleyball. Ticket revenue, in that situation, would be substantially greater for volleyball. 

Granted, that wouldn't take into account the revenue from the conference TV deal, since only 20 of the 29 volleyball games are expected to be televised this year, whereas every football game certainly will be. This might not be a significant factor if the football games are played at some other venue, if only to keep us in the conference and keep that TV deal money coming in, since the media rights money is paid to the conference, then distributed to the schools from there. As long as we remain in the B1G, we should still continue to receive the TV deal money, even if the football program was put on the back burner.

Of course, this assumes that the volleyball program can generate as much diehard fanaticism as the football program does. The recent volleyball sellout at Memorial Stadium could be attributed to it being a special event. If fans could expect a home volleyball game at Memorial Stadium 17 times per season, would all 17 games be sellouts? Could the athletic department rely on 80% or greater attendance on a regular basis? Is the demand for tickets high enough to meet the significant increase in supply that converting Memorial Stadium to a volleyball court on a more permanent basis would create? I don't know.

If the demand can soak up a good portion of that supply, then volleyball would generate more revenue, as far as ticket sales were concerned, than the football program would simply because they play more home games each year. If regular attendance averages less than 50%, though,  then the overall revenue would likely be less.

And, as I alluded to earlier, this assumes Nebraska stays in the B1G conference and the TV deal revenue does not change. Scrapping or significantly downsizing the football program could possibly jeopardize that membership. Remember, only 20 of Nebraska Volleyball's 29 regular season games are expected to be televised this year. The demand for televised volleyball games is certainly much lower than the demand for televised football games, and projected viewership and the subsequent add revenue plays a major part in determining the value of that TV deal. 

IF volleyball can generate regular ticket sales in Memorial Stadium, and IF the volleyball games can draw TV viewership, then volleyball could potentially generate more revenue than the football program. However, one sellout of Memorial Stadium for a special event does NOT prove that attendance will be that high if all 17 home volleyball games were played in Memorial Stadium, and the fact that only 20 of 29 regular season games are expected to be televised this year means that the viewership numbers are likely too small to justify the current media rights revenue. 

In short, volleyball COULD be a major revenue generating sport, but only if a number of factors come together just right. But since the general popularity of volleyball is far lower than the popularity of football, those factors are highly unlikely to positively reward such a major change. Even a below average football program (like what we have now) is more likely to generate more revenue than a premier volleyball program (like what we have now). 

But hey, the way things are going, maybe that will change...

• Fire 1
13 hours ago, M.A. said:

Smart Alec. Kirby Smart. I'm seeing the connection you're intending to make here! Isn't it true that you nearly caused an evacuation of your family home trying to make grits with stinky Raclette? What a goof...It seems that you have the powers of reasoning of a wooden post!!!  :facepalm:

Back on topic. What if instead of a ball, the QB views them as options to throw to and defenders get lost in his field of vision? 

That cheese was a terrorist attack by someone from the north. The fact that Rhule hasnt thought of simple illusions like that to trick the defense is good reason to fire him already and move on. 

• Haha 1

I do believe we will return to the 9-10 win seasons. I also think Rhule can turn this thing around. The defense is playing their hearts out. Special Teams are a little better. Our punter kicking 20 plus yards in a high altitude stadium is puzzling. 

I honestly think we all head to Memorial stadium one night with candles and expel whatever curse is plaguing this team. 

As always, I will put my flag up the day before the game. Get enough alcohol to knock out Andre the Giant and root for the Huskers! 

GBR!!!

• Plus1 1