What did we learn? NIU Edition

7 hours ago, Hilltop said:

Our fan base still overreacts when we play good against a weak opponent.   HH played ok but the defense he faced was significantly weaker than Sims faced in the first 2 weeks.   That said,  I think you have to continue the trial by fire with him until it doesn't work.   

But this is the first time in a few years where the weak opponent didn't leave Lincoln with a W or lose in a nail biter.  That credit goes to coaching 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • TBH 1

Offense:

-I hate calling out play calling, but there were several times Satterfield had me scratching my head.

- Fidone needs reps.  
-Grant has improved over last year and I think he needs to be primary back.  One thing that he did previously was “stop and wait” in the hole.  He’s eliminated that from his game and he looks solid.

-I’m not sold on Sims or HH yet.  HH had a great game.  I think his performance in his first significant time show’s potential.  I think a mistake free (who knows if that’s possible) Sims is still a lot better.

Defense:

-Mostly the same guys playing at a different level.  Frost/Chins being fully exposed.

-Being able to get pressure with 4 guys is an absolute game changer.

-Young talent is promising.

General:

-  Weird to say how exciting it was to see back ups in at the end of the game.

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1

I’m more pessimistic than I thought. Every flag I saw against us on a good play…. I was expecting it to be against us and take the good play away. At least that’s what it feels like it’s been the past several years spanning 2 different coaches.

This year the bonehead plays were after the ended. So the positive at least stood.

phew.

• TBH 1

9 hours ago, Enhance said:

I'm leaning this direction, as well.

Maybe (and I mean, maybe) Sims has a higher ceiling or 'wow' factor that stood out during the spring, summer and fall camp, but he had two games to show that and didn't. Haarberg got one shot to show his capabilities and did.

I honestly think Rhule feel in love with Sims’ potential upside after he received feedback from some NFL folks. 

HH should start. Period. It was a completely different offense and I wasn’t on the edge of my seat every shotgun snap and pass. 

GBR!!

• TBH 1
14 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

-Grant has improved over last year and I think he needs to be primary back.  One thing that he did previously was “stop and wait” in the hole.  He’s eliminated that from his game and he looks solid.

He did that last night on a play that could have been a big gain if he hadn't. Seems like it's a muscle memory thing that he can barely shake off.

• Plus1 1
34 minutes ago, BlackHillsHusker said:

But this is the first time in a few years where the weak opponent didn't leave Lincoln with a W or lose in a nail biter.  That credit goes to coaching 

Just one year ago North Dakota left with losing the same type of game.

Plenty of fans last night we’re still nervous at halftime.

38 minutes ago, BlackHillsHusker said:

Exactly. I’m really sad for a lot of the people being overly pessimistic. I wonder where they will find joy in life if they can’t at least enjoy the 24 hours after a beat down at home. We did what we should’ve done with a quarterback making his first start. He managed the game well. 

The team we beat last night beat Boston College, which almost beat Florida state, were it not for their own mental mistakes. Alabama has more talent than most people in the world and is struggling mightily. Upsets and close calls all over college football. Just enjoy the progress and the process. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
7 minutes ago, Kayvan said:

Exactly. I’m really sad for a lot of the people being overly pessimistic. I wonder where they will find joy in life if they can’t at least enjoy the 24 hours after a beat down at home. We did what we should’ve done with a quarterback making his first start. He managed the game well. 

The team we beat last night beat Boston College, which almost beat Florida state, were it not for their own mental mistakes. Alabama has more talent than most people in the world and is struggling mightily. Upsets and close calls all over college football. Just enjoy the progress and the process. 

I enjoyed last night. But I also enjoyed last week. It was a fun story that had a disappointing ending.

I think we just get frustrated by fans who will get excited over one game but then cuss and scream next week when things don’t go so smoothly and demand people be fired.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1

I learned that HH can play well within a simple offense and then this team is more than capable of beating inferior opponents or opponents of somewhat equal caliber. 

I learned the defense is really good until proven otherwise.  I liked the pressure White and the players have been able to generate these last two weeks.  

I also learned some people get pretty upset when the other team plays hard the entire game.  

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
7 hours ago, Hilltop said:

Our fan base still overreacts when we play good against a weak opponent.   HH played ok but the defense he faced was significantly weaker than Sims faced in the first 2 weeks.   That said,  I think you have to continue the trial by fire with him until it doesn't work.   

Playing at home versus Boulder does make a difference but in terms of overall quality NIU's defense is plenty comparable to CU's. We handed CU four turnovers on a silver platter and that sent the game snowballing out of control. Now on offense NIU does struggle plenty,  their receiving corps should get a NIL deal with Butterfingers after their performance last night. Not going to say HH was great  and we've found our guy to take us back to glory but he made solid reads in both the pass and run-game, passed and ran solidly, and took care of the ball. He had one fumble but that was more the fault of a major protection breakdown. He looked like a legit starter out there against a decent defense. If he can keep it up he should remain starter. Sims is athletic enough that we could find way to keep him involved in the O. 

• TBH 1