Gabe Ervin and Rahmir Johnson out for the season

Red Five

4 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I don't remember if it was the last drive, but I do remember seeing him walk off the field holding his hip near the end of the game. That really sucks.

My best to both of them. Hopefully the coaches/players can identify some opportunities to work around this news and find other players who can step up.

I also remember seeing that and thinking “Great, he’s hurt now. Why was he even in, this game is over.” 

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

His last carry was with 6:30 to go in the 4Q when we were up 28-3.  Took a handoff 10 yards and limped off.  Nothing in the tackle looked off to me.

Thanks for finding that.

I understand anything can happen at any time with football, but man this it is wildly frustrating. Given that Rahmir was already injured at this point in the game, is it asking too much for the coaches to have a little wherewithal to pull some starters with the game in hand? 

3 minutes ago, Fru said:

I also remember seeing that and thinking “Great, he’s hurt now. Why was he even in, this game is over.” 

Right? This is why you have walk-ons, give them a handful of carries that mean a lot to them and protect the guys we need healthy. I think Grant proved he's the most natural runner and appears to be going North/South consistently, but we are thin now. Wondering if they start looking at guys like Hill for some plays, the fact that both staffs have felt like they need to give him opportunities with the ball in his hands is interesting.

But it's a dead giveaway that it will be a run, no way he's up for pass protection from either the technique or size perspective. And that's the most concerning part about this for me - Ervin was the #2 3rd down back because of pass pro. That is not Grant's strength, and maybe Emmett is more advanced but he's small. This makes us weaker in the passing game, while also limiting our options in the running game. Using Bonner probably is a good move because I'd guess he can pass block, but we are going to be even more predictable unless Satterfield finds a insane new level of creativity.

• Plus1 1
Just now, Fru said:

Thanks for finding that.

I understand anything can happen at any time with football, but man this it is wildly frustrating. Given that Rahmir was already injured at this point in the game, is it asking too much for the coaches to have a little wherewithal to pull some starters with the game in hand? 

We were up by 24 with 4 mins left.. pretty sure every coach in college would have made the same personnel call as Rhule did. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
8 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

maybe Emmett is more advanced but he's small

I'm going to make a very surface level body comparison and come to a ridiculous conclusion because of it. Prepare your butts.

Ameer Abdullah was 5'9" and 180 lbs as a freshman. Emmett Johnson is 5'11" and 190 lbs.

Based on that metric and that metric alone, I say play him. :w00t:w00t:w00t

Oh, I'm laughing to hide the tears right now.

• Oh Yeah! 1

15 minutes ago, Fru said:

Thanks for finding that.

It seemed to me that most of the game, they switched Grant and Ervin in and out.  So....who do you have in the game to run out the clock?  I know we were up 25 points, but we have lost so many games in unbelievable style that I'm sure they just wanted an RB that takes care of the ball and they can trust.

This was a freak injury.  Very unfortunate, but I don't blame the coaches for this.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 6
4 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I'm going to make a very surface level body comparison and come to a ridiculous conclusion because of it. Prepare your butts.

Ameer Abdullah was 5'9" and 180 lbs as a freshman. Emmett Johnson is 5'11" and 190 lbs.

Based on that metric and that metric alone, I say play him. :w00t:w00t:w00t

Oh, I'm laughing to hide the tears right now.

On a more serious side of this.  At least the RB position is one that is easier for a true freshman to come in and play than some that take way more time to learn and develop the body for.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

This was a freak injury.  Very unfortunately, but I don't blame the coaches for this.

Agreed.

I can think of several times over the last 15-20 years where we had starting running backs in the game with about that much time left and we were up by a few scores. That's a circumstance where I think most coaches will still have a large volume of their starters in, especially for a program like Nebraska that's trying to rebuild itself and grow confidence.

16 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

We were up by 24 with 4 mins left.. pretty sure every coach in college would have made the same personnel call as Rhule did. 

Iowa was up 24-6 against Utah St with 7 min left when they pulled Cade McNamara. 

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It seemed to me that most of the game, they switched Grant and Ervin in and out.  So....who do you have in the game to run out the clock?  I know we were up 25 points, but we have lost so many games in unbelievable style that I'm sure they just wanted an RB that takes care of the ball and they can trust.

This was a freak injury.  Very unfortunately, but I don't blame the coaches for this.

I’m confident there are several RBs on the roster that could have filled in during garbage time. A 25 point swing in 6 minutes? C’mon. 

• TBH 1