Gabe Ervin and Rahmir Johnson out for the season

Red Five

Has anyone heard any updates on Johnson and Ervin coming back from their injuries?

I know Rhule said in October that Johnson planned to be back, but I don't think I've seen anything else since then. Our RB depth seems dreadfully thin, but the coaches don't seem to be too outwardly worried.

I'm especially worried about Ervin's hip injury, I have no idea how severe it was but I'm still traumatized by how Bo Jackson's career ended I guess.

13 minutes ago, Ulty said:

I know Rhule said in October that Johnson planned to be back, but I don't think I've seen anything else since then. Our RB depth seems dreadfully thin, but the coaches don't seem to be too outwardly worried.

Assuming they are all healthy for next year, I think we are about as well-stacked as anyone can expect.  We have three guys who have seen extensive game action plus a redshirt freshman.  Now, productivity can be argued but I doubt there are many depth charts that have more experience than that.

• Plus1 4
  • TBH 1
12 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Assuming they are all healthy for next year, I think we are about as well-stacked as anyone can expect.  We have three guys who have seen extensive game action plus a redshirt freshman.  Now, productivity can be argued but I doubt there are many depth charts that have more experience than that.

I kinda hate this assumption based on history for Rahmir and Gabe, but unless you tell them they can't come back you do have to assume health to some degree. You aren't going to convince any solid portal RB "these guys will probably get hurt which will free up some snaps," and even if you did I don't think the players would like it. Rhule also seems weirdly confident about Ives, brings him up a lot - hopefully a good sign for if/when we do need the depth. 

TL;DR, I'd like another RB but understand we only need one if multiple injuries happen and that's a tough sell.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
48 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I kinda hate this assumption based on history for Rahmir and Gabe, but unless you tell them they can't come back you do have to assume health to some degree. You aren't going to convince any solid portal RB "these guys will probably get hurt which will free up some snaps," and even if you did I don't think the players would like it. Rhule also seems weirdly confident about Ives, brings him up a lot - hopefully a good sign for if/when we do need the depth. 

TL;DR, I'd like another RB but understand we only need one if multiple injuries happen and that's a tough sell.

I think you can sell them on the "what we have is good but we're looking for great" aspect.  What we have is plenty serviceable.  And there are a lot of extenuating circumstances, injuries being one.

But someone coming in wouldn't really be scared of being locked into being #2 at best.  They would see a chance to be the lead guy.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

I hope it plays out this way.  I thought the same thing about the rb room heading into this past year.  Was not expecting a clear decline in AG's level of play and obvi didn't forsee the injury bug ending Rhamir and Gabe's season early (and at the same time)

Having a deep RB room is great.  What's even better is if 1 of those guys can clearly separate themselves.

Based on the bold highlighted below, Rhule expects Gabe and RJ to recover well from their injuries.  But with that said, I think it is a great move to add another strong back into the mix.   Hopefully next year we won't be reliant on the QB runs and will need more productivity from the RBs.  Dante Dowdell, from Oregon, may be a good addition to the RB room. 

https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/article/dante-dowdell-visiting-nebraska-football-program-in-early-january--223704164/

Could the Huskers still add a running back to the mix? We can provide an update to one back the Nebraska staff was in contact with before signing day.

Dante Dowdell, who spent his first year of college football in the Oregon program, now has a scheduled official visit to Nebraska from Jan. 5-7, his father Lawrence Hopkins confirmed to Husker247.

Husker head coach Matt Rhule expressed interest in still adding a running back to the room in the days after the Iowa game.

NU did not add one in this recruiting class, but Dowdell is a young college player who certainly is enticing given that he was the No. 135 ranked player overall by 247Sports in last year's class. He entered the portal a week ago.

“We have four scholarship guys and a couple guys who have walked on who we feel good about,” Rhule said Wednesday. “We weren’t going to reach and we could always look in the portal if our numbers allow us to. We feel so good about Kwinten Ives, I love what Emmett Johnson did this year — Emmett has a bright future ahead, three more years for us. We get Gabe (Ervin) back, we get Rahmir (Johnson) back. We like the room.”

Dowdell had a great high school career down in Mississippi.

He finished senior season with 2,165 yards and 31 touchdowns on 8.3 yards per carry. He had 386 receiving yards in addition to that. He finished high school career with 5,301 rushing yards and 65 TDs on 8.0 yards per carry.

And in 2021, he was the MaxPreps Mississippi High School Football Player of the Year as a junior, helping Picayune to a 14-1 record and the Mississippi 5A state championship. He an for more than 2,500 yards, averaging 7.76 yards per carry and 170.2 rushing yards per game. During that season he ran for 100-plus yards in 13 of 15 games and eclipsed 200 yards five times, per MaxPreps.

At Oregon, the 6-2, 215-pound Dowdell had 90 yards on 17 carries in his first season, playing in five games. He still has three years of eligibility.

While Nebraska's roster numbers are tight, Rhule said in a press conference a few days after the Iowa game that running back could be a spot to pick up another player if the right fit came along. He was encouraged at that point with how Gabe Ervin and Rahmir Johnson were tracking from season-ending injuries in 2023.

"All signs with Gabe's and Rahmir's injuries is that they'll come back and be fine," Rhule said. "I thought Emmett did a good job and proved that he can be the guy. And you guys have heard me talk about Kwinten Ives. I think Kwinten is a star. I think he's got a lot of talent." 

Rhule then added a key line, "We'd love to recruit one, but it has to be the right one."

• Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
5 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Based on the bold highlighted below, Rhule expects Gabe and RJ to recover well from their injuries.  But with that said, I think it is a great move to add another strong back into the mix.   Hopefully next year we won't be reliant on the QB runs and will need more productivity from the RBs.  Dante Dowdell, from Oregon, may be a good addition to the RB room. 

https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/article/dante-dowdell-visiting-nebraska-football-program-in-early-january--223704164/

I'd take it.  First year challenges to play at Oregon has little translatable bearing to success with how Rhule is building this team.

• TBH 1
On 9/18/2023 at 7:02 PM, secretasianman said:

Glad I read the thread because I was going to say exactly this.

Also, through 3 games: 

Johnson- 12 carries, 65 yds., 0 TD’s

Ervin Jr.- 38 carries, 196 yds., 1 TD 

Neither are game breakers.  Feel bad for the guys, but realistically, shouldn’t be difficult to replace. 

Can't go on beginning of year stats.  Our line was awful & improved as the year went on.  Johnson is a 3rd down back, if Ervin can stay healthy can be a sold starter. 

• TBH 2
5 hours ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Can't go on beginning of year stats.  Our line was awful & improved as the year went on.  Johnson is a 3rd down back, if Ervin can stay healthy can be a sold starter. 

Agree.  Two of those games were Minnesota and Colorado that were on the road and the entire offense played like crap with Sims as the QB. 

• Plus1 1

Ervin's numbers there for 2023 come out to 5.15 yards per carry. Honestly that's pretty decent. I think there were some flashes where I thought he had made some big strides.

Rahmir at one point was considered to be one of the three fastest guys on the team. Would love to see him catching some well-thrown passes into the flat from Raiola and tearing up the outside.           :koolaid2:

• Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 4

I don't see a need for a transfer portal RB.  We've done it before with mix results.  We have enough good backs that keep putting in the work, fighting for the opportunity, dealing with injuries, and bouncing back.

Emmet Johnson proved he is 70+ yards a game.  He is only going to get better.  And bigger and quicker and stronger.

Gabe & Rhamir are coming back from injuries.  However, don't count them out.  They are good with their opportunities, and older and mature.  They are serviceable and talented.  

Ives is the 4th guy in the mix, needs to bulk up a bit, be he want's to be out there too.

Why go get someone else's trash (Portal) and claim it as gold???  We have the running backs with experience and a mix of different set of skills to get it done.  And now we have a Quarterback.  A good one too.

2 minutes ago, admo said:

I don't see a need for a transfer portal RB.  We've done it before with mix results.  We have enough good backs that keep putting in the work, fighting for the opportunity, dealing with injuries, and bouncing back.

Emmet Johnson proved he is 70+ yards a game.  He is only going to get better.  And bigger and quicker and stronger.

Gabe & Rhamir are coming back from injuries, but they are serviceable and talented.  

Ives is the 4th guy in the mix, needs to bulk up a bit, be he want's to be out there too.

Why go get someone else's trash (Portal) and claim it as gold???  We have the running backs with experience and a mix of different set of skills to get it done.

Maybe get more good OL guys who can block well

• Plus1 3
14 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Maybe get more good OL guys who can block well

Yes, but I think we are all coming together.  As we build this thing.  The OL, the RBs, the WR/TEs.

We see and saw what the defense did and can do.  And we hope they continue.  While our offense puts in the work with who we have.  

5 hours ago, admo said:

Gabe & Rhamir are coming back from injuries.  However, don't count them out.  They are good with their opportunities, and older and mature.  They are serviceable and talented.  

Why go get someone else's trash (Portal) and claim it as gold???  We have the running backs with experience and a mix of different set of skills to get it done.  And now we have a Quarterback.  A good one too.

You need more than 4 rb, especially when you have 2 that are injury prone. 

• TBH 3
On 12/29/2023 at 9:04 PM, SouthLincoln Husker said:

You need more than 4 rb, especially when you have 2 that are injury prone. 

Even just for reps this spring - Ives and Emmett can't take every single spring rep. I don't want to quite say reps to the walk-on back are wasted (sometimes it turns out a walk-on is actually good), but if you're giving a lot of reps to guys you don't expect to ever contribute as RBs it's not really helping your team. 

Trevon Kinchen is interesting among the walk-on options, seems to have had a good HS career but didn't get recruited at all and joined the team in the middle of the season. Guys like Luben are always going to do what they're supposed to, but if he's doing more than special teams and getting carries in blowouts we're in trouble. Maybe Mazzccua or Kenneth Williams can get big enough and keep their speed/shiftiness - but another guy with a better shot at being a contributor would be nice this spring.