Louisiana Tech Week Pressers

Mavric

4 hours ago, AZRaiderH8r said:

Whenever the conversation comes up in our group of bands that people seem to really like but that you hate, my answer is always Def Leppard. Man, I can't stand that band or their music. 

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

I always filed Def Leppard away with all the other crappy hair metal acts of the time.  

4f626de5-32b9-4d43-9de0-1054af318493_tex

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 3
2 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

He's saying that there are more, and thus presumably more good, older songs than newer by virtue of the pool being bigger.

If you define new music as the last 15 years, then the size of the catalogue of EVERYTHING OLDER is 50-60 total years of output compared to 15. 

2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

It’s simple math. Any new song adds to the all time music body of work. The older songs never go away. So sort of, yeah, there are more old songs than new.  Even if you figure in significantly more songs being released in the 2000s than prior, really how many of those can even be considered? There has to be a much higher percentage of crap songs now than when people actually had to have talent to get a song recorded and released. A bunch of dips#!ts with a youtube channel aren’t really adding much to the talent collective.

So yeah, I realize more music is available due to technology. I just don’t think significantly more of it happens to be quality music or worthy of this discussion. More doesn’t equal better.

Exactly….and much more succinctly than I put it.

I understand your point.  I was saying more music gets produced per year now than any decade prior.  I tend to look at music by era, 50s/60s/70s, etc. If you sum up all of musical history prior to 2000 into one group, you're correct, there's more volume.  It feels like more good music was produced then, but that's only because what remains has stood the test of time, as you said.  That doesn't mean there wasn't a bunch of crap back then, because there was, it is just lost now.  The good stuff from today will live on as songs and albums always have, but the crap today will be lost to time as well, it just takes time passing to complete that.

I will listen to any genre, or any era, of music as long as the artist was good at what they do.  I don't care when it was made, but some things work better in certain situations.  I guess that was the crux of my argument, that I simply didn't feel Thunderstruck fits well in the 3rd quarter break.

5 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Love their early stuff. Excellent blues based rock. But Start Me Up sucks. I puke a little bit in my mouth every time it plays. As for Jagger….I have no idea what lyrics he is ever singing, but somehow it works.

I’ve never felt good music was dependent upon a person’s age or when it was released. Many songs stand the test of time. Many don’t and won’t. Have never understood why some people will snidely brand you a Boomer because you may like some music that is older than them. I also like some newer music but the body of work of older songs is much larger so it stands to reason that there are way more good older songs than good newer songs.

Completely agree. I’ve never understood why one age group disses another age groups music. 

But, it’s been happening since the beginning of time. 

Mozart and Beethoven were the on the edge rockers of their time. And….much of the popular music now days has influence from them. 

1 hour ago, runningblind said:

I guess that was the crux of my argument, that I simply didn't feel Thunderstruck fits well in the 3rd quarter break.

I won’t say that’s wrong. I love me some acdc and Thunderstruck but it has had it’s time. Heck even Sirius has run it’s course. I’ve always been jelly of Va Tech with Enter Sandman and Wiscy with Jump Around. Best entrance and 3rd quarter songs ever. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 1
50 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Completely agree. I’ve never understood why one age group disses another age groups music. 

But, it’s been happening since the beginning of time. 

Mozart and Beethoven were the on the edge rockers of their time. And….much of the popular music now days has influence from them. 

The mid-60's through the 90's was great --- 90% of everything from 2000-on, sucks.

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, runningblind said:

It feels like more good music was produced then, but that's only because what remains has stood the test of time, as you said.  That doesn't mean there wasn't a bunch of crap back then, because there was, it is just lost now. 

Good news, nobody was arguing against this point!