Does NU have a chance in the B1G West?

Red Five

I still don't think there's a comparative defensive stat that excuses Jeff Sims fumbling two perfect snaps and the absolutely horrible interception in the end zone. Which careful stat observers might note come from a previous history of turnovers. 

Haarberg's the man. And by that I mean he's probably the best QB we have at the moment. 

• Fire 1
  • TBH 3

On 10/7/2023 at 11:33 AM, Red Five said:

B1G West has to be home to the worst quarterbacking in the country

2023 ESPN QBR (through Friday night's game)

1) JJ McCarthy 94.2

2) Tyler Van Dyke 94.0

3) Michael Penix 91.6

4) Dillon Gabriel 89.5

5) Caleb Williams 88.5

49) Athan Kaliakmanis 64.9 (Minnesota)

75) Hudson Card 54.7 (Purdue)

82) Tanner Mordecai 51.5 (Wisconsin)

88) Heinrich Haarberg 47.3

89) Luke Altmeyer 47.1 (Illinois)

98) Ben Bryant 41.6 (Northwestern)

123) Cade McNamara 28.1 (Iowa)

124) Casey Thompson 28.1

Jeff Sims 30.2 (Not ranked due to only playing 2 games)

It got worse after Saturday.  Just god awful QB play in this division.

1) JJ McCarthy 93.6

75) Tanner Mordecai 56.7 (Wisconsin)

77) Athan Kaliakmanis 55.9 (Minnesota)

87) Heinrich Haarberg 48.5

88) Hudson Card 48.2 (Purdue)

90) Luke Altmeyer 47.8 (Illinois)

102) Ben Bryant 41.4 (Northwestern)

Not ranked due to not enough playing time:

Jeff Sims 30.2

Cade McNamara 28.1 (Iowa)

Casey Thompson 28.1

Deacon Hill 8.7 (Iowa)

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
On 10/8/2023 at 10:18 AM, Guy Chamberlin said:

I still don't think there's a comparative defensive stat that excuses Jeff Sims fumbling two perfect snaps and the absolutely horrible interception in the end zone. Which careful stat observers might note come from a previous history of turnovers. 

Haarberg's the man. And by that I mean he's probably the best QB we have at the moment. 

I am not sure if it is a new thing but I have seen more bobbled and fumbled shotgun snaps this year than I ever have before.  

What is going on?  

• Plus1 1

Just now, Red Five said:

It got worse after Saturday.  Just god awful QB play in this division.

1) JJ McCarthy 93.6

75) Tanner Mordecai 56.7 (Wisconsin)

77) Athan Kaliakmanis 55.9 (Minnesota)

87) Heinrich Haarberg 48.5

88) Hudson Card 48.2 (Purdue)

90) Luke Altmeyer 47.8 (Illinois)

102) Ben Bryant 41.4 (Northwestern)

Not ranked due to not enough playing time:

Jeff Sims 30.2

Cade McNamara 28.1 (Iowa)

Casey Thompson 28.1

Deacon Hill 8.7 (Iowa)

This is why NU can win all these games.  Play man to man on defense and dare those horrible QB's to beat you, they can't.  

It has been that way for years in the West, only Wisconsin and Iowa seemed to know that.

Wisconsin brings pressure and Iowa sits back in their version of a prevent defense.  It is why NU dominated (and could have picked the score vs Iowa) them last year, NU had a QB and WR that no one had an answer for.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I think Sims is slightly more dangerous, to both the Huskers and our opponents.  The problem is that the ratio was more against than for the Huskers through the first couple of games.  I'd stick with HH, but hopefully he can get more comfortable and effective in the passing game very soon.

• Fire 1
54 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I am not sure if it is a new thing but I have seen more bobbled and fumbled shotgun snaps this year than I ever have before.  

What is going on?  

IMO the culprits are usually the same: confusion, nerves, lack of focus, and a lack of repetitions between center/QB. Some combination therein. Tough to say exactly what's going on but that's why we usually don't see a lot of snap issues between upperclassmen QB's/centers that have been playing together a long time. Usually, the less experienced one part of the equation is, the higher likelihood of mistakes.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

Irrespective of the conversation about our chances of winning the West, if we beat Northwestern (which we should be favored to do) I think the team's confidence is higher than it's been since the 2016 season.

Maybe that helps calm down some of the stuff that's possibly happening because guys are just so scared to make mistakes out there (some of the earlier false starts come to mind).

• Thanks 2
  • TBH 1

1 hour ago, Undone said:

Irrespective of the conversation about our chances of winning the West, if we beat Northwestern (which we should be favored to do) I think the team's confidence is higher than it's been since the 2016 season.

Maybe that helps calm down some of the stuff that's possibly happening because guys are just so scared to make mistakes out there (some of the earlier false starts come to mind).

I liked Sanfords comments on the 2 week break.  Basically said fall camp 2.0.  I like it.  The article had Huskers in previous seasons talking about taking a break, needing to get away from each other etc....This team just "seems different".  Unsure if this will translate into wins this season, but there is a positive change.  I think this speaks to "calming down some of the stuff" comment.  2 weeks to take a breath and build on what is working and get healthy.  3 more wins baby.  3 more wins...Obviously I'd like more, but the extra practices that we would get would be HUGE.  Be great for recruitment as well showing what Rhule and Co are building is working.

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, teachercd said:

What is going on?  

I don't know. Haven't noticed it myself.

But having declared Nebraska's frequent false start and delay of game penalties utterly unacceptable, I just spent Sunday watching some of the finest NFL teams get flagged repeatedly for these. 

23 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I don't know. Haven't noticed it myself.

But having declared Nebraska's frequent false start and delay of game penalties utterly unacceptable, I just spent Sunday watching some of the finest NFL teams get flagged repeatedly for these. 

I feel like delay of game happens a lot now.

• TBH 1