Does NU have a chance in the B1G West?

Red Five

37 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Actually it appears as .4%.  Less than 1%. Or essentially a snowball’s chance on Miami Beach July 4th.

Let’s all focus on the game each week.  Our season is flying by and we need to enjoy this time.  Wins are so hard to come by lately let’s just let the Huskers decide for us!  GBR 

First of all, we can focus on whatever we want to. Especially since we aren’t playing in the game. If I want to think ahead to our Rose Bowl match against Oregon, because we’re the Big Ten champion and the PAC-12 champion Washington is in the playoff, I can do that if I please. And it has no impact on the game. 

Second, no. I said “if we win the division.” 0.4% is the chance they are giving of winning the conference, as of right now. 

4-5% is the chance of winning the conference (i.e. beating the East winner, probably OSU or UM like I mentioned) if we win the division. The important part is “if we win the division.” This is calculated by:

0.084X = 0.004

X =4.76%.

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 1

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That’s .4%.  

That is the percentage today. The important part of my sentence is “if we win the division.” Based on their #s, they think if we win the division, we will then have a 4.76% chance of winning the conference. 

Based on where we are today, they think we have a 0.4% chance of winning the conference. 

Long story short they think we have very little chance of beating UM or OSU even if we win the division (which I agree with). I’m just doing basic stats to calculate what they think our chance is of winning the conference given that we have won the division.

Another calc we can do is 85%X = 8.4%. They think if we win 6 games there is a 9.88% chance we win the division. (Though this one obviously could/would change drastically each week).

• Plus1 4
On 10/25/2023 at 7:41 AM, Undone said:

Our chances keep going down now because of injuries on offense. Having actually won the last two games the odds of course started to go way up, but the latest round of injuries hurt the chances pretty bad.

Honestly though, if our defense plays like it did against Northwestern in each remaining game I don't know who is really scoring more than 17-20 points on us. We just can't seem to get away from turnovers, but at least false starts were better.

Hey guys, move it to the math forum, please. :frenchy

• Haha 1