What did we learn? La Tech version

Red Five

When we get into the stretch of Illinois/Northwester/Purdue/Michigan State, as long as we have no major injuries on either side of the ball we'll be in each of those games.

I think one really big thing on offense in those games is lining up in the 12 man personnel sets but finding some creativity that we haven't shown on film up to that point, or just line up with single tight end & 3 guys wide and try to work the ball out quickly in the passing game.

I'm not entirely convinced that we're running the play mix we're running because the coaches have zero faith in our passing game, I think they just really want this kind of "grind it out" offense. Bring something to the table in that stretch of the season that teams haven't seen & prepared for.

17 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I'm with you.  I often watch games and think back to the glory days.  I was never an o lineman, but if I had to ask myself "How would I look as a Tackle at Nebraska?", I could just watch his film.

With respect to Turner I think any one of us would be lucky to last a few plays before injury. 

20 minutes ago, Undone said:

When we get into the stretch of Illinois/Northwester/Purdue/Michigan State, as long as we have no major injuries on either side of the ball we'll be in each of those games.

I think one really big thing on offense in those games is lining up in the 12 man personnel sets but finding some creativity that we haven't shown on film up to that point, or just line up with single tight end & 3 guys wide and try to work the ball out quickly in the passing game.

I'm not entirely convinced that we're running the play mix we're running because the coaches have zero faith in our passing game, I think they just really want this kind of "grind it out" offense. Bring something to the table in that stretch of the season that teams haven't seen & prepared for.

I agree.  I believe La Tech was the first time we saw a play with orbit motion.  I think I only saw it once.  But, it gives teams one more thing to think about.  And, I expect to see it again sometime in the next 5 games.  running the option with orbit motion could be fun.

1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

1. Is Teddy not completely healthy? There's no reason for Corcoran to start over a healthy Teddy. 

2. I have no idea how this offense is going to move the ball against Michigan. 

Rhule has indicated that TC is the guy.  Now, there is obviously an injury at play.  But Teddy has been healthy enough to be on the field for several snaps the past 2/3 games.  So he can't be completely out of the picture.

Rhule has also indicated repeatedly that Sims is the guy.

We'll see how both of those situations play out.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
31 minutes ago, Undone said:

I'm not entirely convinced that we're running the play mix we're running because the coaches have zero faith in our passing game

Do you have any faith in our passing game with HH? If so, er, why?

• Plus1 1

Just now, Toe said:

Do you have any faith in our passing game with HH? If so, er, why?

When he's in a designed drop back, "stand in the pocket and scan the field" kind of play, no. I don't. But he's been better with play action.

Same basic answer applies to Sims, even though I feel like I haven't even really seen all that much of Sims' passing game. He of course has been bad on a few plays of throwing to guys that are covered, which is basically the worst thing a QB can do in the passing game.

What I'm talking about though is quick hitting pass plays and not slow developing ones where either QB has to read coverages and scan multiple routes. This is where good coaching comes in. It's finding a middle ground between what they can't do that's in the playbook now and just running handoffs out of 22 man personnel all game long.

• Fire 1
4 minutes ago, Undone said:

When he's in a designed drop back, "stand in the pocket and scan the field" kind of play, no. I don't. But he's been better with play action.

Same basic answer applies to Sims, even though I feel like I haven't even really seen all that much of Sims' passing game. He of course has been bad on a few plays of throwing to guys that are covered, which is basically the worst thing a QB can do in the passing game.

What I'm talking about though is quick hitting pass plays and not slow developing ones where either QB has to read coverages and scan multiple routes. This is where good coaching comes in. It's finding a middle ground between what they can't do that's in the playbook now and just running handoffs out of 22 man personnel all game long.

In general, I think i agree with you.

But, Sims has passed the ball 34 times in almost two games. HH has passed the ball 47 times in a little over two games.  I'm not sure we can say we've seen HH pass the ball enough to make a judgement while saying we haven't seen Sims pass enough to make a judgement.  

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm not sure we can say we've seen HH pass the ball enough to make a judgement while saying we haven't seen Sims pass enough to make a judgement.  

When I hit 'Submit' on my post, I knew somebody would be chiming in with that. Took all of like three minutes.

Both guys have had some pretty bad moments in the passing game. And it's fine to say we've seen enough of both of them to say neither of them makes the grade in the passing game.

I honestly don't have strong opinions about who should be the starter against Illinois (the Michigan game basically doesn't exist to me because it's an automatic "L"). My prediction is that it'll be Sims because I think Rhule's ego will have him going with his big offseason transfer portal guy.

Either way, I think against Illinois you come out the first drive of the game with either guy and use him like a battering ram with QB Power's and zone read keepers and you see if it moves the chains.

But after a couple of drives if it doesn't, you can't just ask either one of them to drop back and throw a bunch as the only alternative. Our entire offense - including the QB's - just don't execute it well.

46 minutes ago, Undone said:

Need to win all 4 of these! I want to go to the Guaranteed Rate Bowl! 

21 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, similar to Nash where we are seeing a change in S&C and coaching has helped.

Doesn’t it also seem like the DB’s are more explosive coming out of their breaks or when attacking the WR screens.  I think that’s a product of better coaching/drilling and a focus on explosive trading workouts vs pure strength and bulk workouts. 

• Plus1 3
24 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Doesn’t it also seem like the DB’s are more explosive coming out of their breaks or when attacking the WR screens.  I think that’s a product of better coaching/drilling and a focus on explosive trading workouts vs pure strength and bulk workouts. 

You'd think this is accurate, yeah.

It maybe doesn't even have much to do with what we're doing now in strength training versus what we were doing before. It's probably just more practice time being spent on simulating game play.

So weird to me that Frost was weak in that area, of all people as our head coach. Pretty dumb.