****Michigan Game Thread****

The overall lack of buzz for having the number 2 team in the country in town speaks volumes on our faith in our OL and offense in general. Normally this whole week would be building each day towards a fever pitch...but the general malaise is downright tangible.

But hey, we're gonna have some chairback seats, concourse action, and perhaps improved piss-trough amenities in the near future. So, um... Yay?

Maybe there will be some bad eggs in the pregame breakfast and Harbaugh will poop his khakis. 

GBR

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 3
3 minutes ago, El Straino said:

The overall lack of buzz for having the number 2 team in the country in town speaks volumes on our faith in our OL and offense in general. Normally this whole week would be building each day towards a fever pitch...but the general malaise is downright tangible.

But hey, we're gonna have some chairback seats, concourse action, and perhaps improved piss-trough amenities in the near future. So, um... Yay?

Maybe there will be some bad eggs in the pregame breakfast and Harbaugh will poop his khakis. 

GBR

Hey I'm buzzed!

BuzzBallz_Cocktails_Fruit_Mixed_Case.png

• Oh Yeah! 1

1 hour ago, El Straino said:

The overall lack of buzz for having the number 2 team in the country in town speaks volumes on our faith in our OL and offense in general.

Michigan, up to this point, looks like a legit top 5 team. Sure, they haven't really been tested, but they haven't exactly struggled much either. Sure, they haven't put up big, gaudy numbers like a lot of other top teams, but that's because they're built to chew clock. They run the ball very well, and can pass it well if and when they need to. They haven't needed to score a lot because their D is also really good. Overall, Michigan doesn't look like they have a lot of weaknesses this year.

After the past... let's be honest, the past two decades of Nebraska football, I think a lot of Nebraska fans are burnt out a bit. As a fan base, we've gotten our hopes up for big games, showed up and rocked Memorial Stadium, and did our best to will our team to victory... only to be let down time and time again. Our record against ranked teams is atrocious, and there's a ton that needs to be fixed before Nebraska football is 'back'. 

Our defense has done well shutting down the run against weaker teams. Michigan, though, has probably the best O line we will face all year, maybe the best in the country. While I think we can slow their run game down, we won't be able to stop it completely. However, even if we do, Michigan can throw the ball well enough. The Blackshirts have struggled at times in the pass game, and opposing QBs have put up yards and points on us through the air. We will have to stack the box to stop the run, and that will open up opportunities for Michigan in the pass game. They will move the ball and they will score points. The only question is how hard the Blackshirts can make it for them. 

On O, we have one of the top running attacks in the country... against weak opponents with weak defenses. Is our running game legit, or a product of our opponents? We will find out this game. Our passing attack has been mediocre at best, disastrous at worst. Unless there's been major improvements over the past week, we will struggle to throw the ball, and Haarberg will probably throw at least one INT this game.

Winning this game is going to be almost impossible, and I think everyone knows that. There's so little buzz around this game because pretty much everyone has written it off as a loss before the cleats have event hit the turf. 

But that fact right there is probably our only real chance of winning. That, and the option run game and the play action pass game. IF the lack of buzz has lulled Michigan into a false sense of security, they may not have game planned well enough against our O or our D, might not have practiced option run assignments well enough, and might come out flat. 

If they do, we have a narrow path to victory. We will need to lean on that option game to score first, and on our D to stifle their first possession. If we can do that and go up 14-0 or 10-0, we can force Michigan to have to pass the ball to catch up. Then, we can drop 8 in coverage and hope that Hutchmaker and Leinhardt can get pressure/sacks while only rushing 3, and that our DBs can get one or two INTs this game. At that point, we can force Michigan to stack 8 or 9 in the box to stop the run and cover both the QB and pitch man. At that point, we run play action to Coleman (or any other speedy receiver we might have) and hope that Haarberg can actually hit them this game. Once we're in the lead, we just need to hold it; Michigan isn't really built to come from behind.

If all of those factors come together, we CAN win. It's just very unlikely. 

Personally, if we look competitive, cover the spread, and don't make a lot of mistakes, I'll be satisfied with this game, even if it's a loss. 

But if we win... If we win, the entire narrative around the Huskers completely changes. So I, for one, am praying for a victory today! 

GO BIG RED!

8 minutes ago, EmeraldIngot said:

After the past... let's be honest, the past two decades of Nebraska football, I think a lot of Nebraska fans are burnt out a bit. As a fan base, we've gotten our hopes up for big games, showed up and rocked Memorial Stadium, and did our best to will our team to victory... only to be let down time and time again. Our record against ranked teams is atrocious, and there's a ton that needs to be fixed before Nebraska football is 'back'. 

This is pretty much where I'm at, and I'm guessing I'm not the only one.  That, and everyone knows that this year is not meant to be the year we are "back"