Illinois - What Did We Learn

4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Rhule said on the radio interview at halftime they had at least one QB draw called and somehow the play wasn’t run.

After the 3rd down incompletion he beelines towards HH with his arms extended like “what are you doing?”.

I think Haarberg changed the play call on 2 of those plays near the end of the first half. Of course, the coaches need to emphasize to him to not change the play call in those situations. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Rhule said on the radio interview at halftime they had at least one QB draw called and somehow the play wasn’t run.

After the 3rd down incompletion he beelines towards HH with his arms extended like “what are you doing?”.

I really don’t have a problem with the play calls in that drive. We were winning and our defense was playing well. At some point, you have to see if your offense can run a 2:00 minute offense and score. And, getting them experience in trying is important. It didn’t work and it’s now something they know they need yo work on more. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

I think Haarberg changed the play call on 2 of those plays near the end of the first half. Of course, the coaches need to emphasize to him to not change the play call in those situations. 

Or, the staff finds out why and maybe there was a good reason….or they teach him why the original play was still better. 

• Plus1 2

I did feel that for the first time in forever calls actually went our way.

The goal line stand no TD for Illinois could have gone either way.

Grant's goal line TD could have gone either way.

The reversal on the punt that touched the Illinois player.

The reversal on the personal foul/targeting on NU.

Maybe the curse, black cloud, bad luck, whatever is finally gone....Now if the'd start calling holding penalties....

• Plus1 2
8 hours ago, TonyStalloni said:

Listen to what Rhule said about the Illinois players yelling the same calls we use for the O linemen and causing them to lift up to hear the new call. Thats what he was talking to the refs about in the 4th qtr. Not saying our O line are world beaters but this isn't all on them.

I don’t really buy this bc we had problems w false starts before this game.

At some point there will be a middle backer that can actually pick off a ball against HH. I think in every start there has been a ball thrown across the middle that he completely misses the linebacker dropping back into coverage and he throws right to them. Haarberg needs to learn how to read a defense a bit better.  Zone defense confounds him to no end.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2

In all my years of watching college football, that was the worst game ( by both teams ) I have ever seen. I hesitate to even call it a game... more like a free for all. What we learned .... we suck big time especially offense, but defense missed alot of tackles....and then don't even mention penalties...how many false starts can 1 team have in a game.... and then the play calling ...OMG   

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

If HH was from another state, fans would not defend him like they do.  We all know how this goes.

This x 1000000.

Local kid, running the option (kind of). Triggers some glory days response.

I did think in the first half he was making reads in the passing game, and had made some gains w accuracy…until the 2 minute drive. Second half he was back to….normal.

HH is Tim Tebow on the 2011 Broncos…but without the divine intervention.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, macroboy said:

This x 1000000.

Local kid, running the option (kind of). Triggers some glory days response.

I did think in the first half he was making reads in the passing game, and had made some gains w accuracy…until the 2 minute drive. Second half he was back to….normal.

HH is Tim Tebow on the 2011 Broncos…but without the divine intervention.

HH is a worse running Jamaal Lord

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 1

I learned that:

-Our team needs discipline offensively. Too many mistakes. 
-Many times our boys were out of position. Play your position!

-Game management was iffy. Burning up all of your time outs that quickly? 
-DEFENSE PLAYED ALL 4 QUARTERS! Loved it. 
-Nebraska fans (myself included) continue to be so fickle. I was praising Grant’s performance up and down until he made a mistake. Tristan A. made great strides last night but biy did we jump his butt when he missed. He’s Freshman. He will settle in with experience. Same with HH. The kid is a sophomore who was thrown into a situation with very little prep. He needs patience and experience. However, he’s not the guy. 
-A wins a win. GBR! 
P.S. Fir those who are pooh Pooh I g the Let us Pray thread? I’m blowing a giant raspberry at you! ;)