Is it coaching or recruiting?

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

Funny how all the "we should have hired Prime" people that were beating their chests a couple of weeks ago have mostly disappeared and the "we should have hired Fickell" people have really been nowhere to be seen.

I'll still say I wanted Prime.  No shame in that.  I'm good with Rhule.  I like what he is doing. Hoping once he gets success and gets us going he stays.  Be great to get a winning coach who establishes success and a solid coaching tree.  Two polar opposites in personalities.  I've liked Prime well before all the hype at CU.  Since he was  a Cowboy tbh.  Couldn't stand him at Atlanta or San Fran, but as a Cowboy, yes.    I like what he has done at CU.  Win or lose, he is in everyones head.  Even on this board, on every Husker page on FB, ESPN, 24/7, talking heads can't get enough etc.....I'd love that free publicity and exposure for NU.  It's like free recruiting.  Do I think he will be there after his boys leave?  Who knows.  Do I think he will have success there?  Who knows.  Hung with USC, got smoked by Stanford....No way to guage tbh.  Use same excuses we do.  New staff, new scheme, tough conference, need to change culture etc.....He's estimated to have brought 280 million to CU thus far.  

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/pac12/2023/09/29/deion-sanders-value-contract-colorado-buffaloes-football/70985907007/

I also really wanted Chadwell and would still love his offensive scheme here....

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Funny how all the "we should have hired Prime" people that were beating their chests a couple of weeks ago have mostly disappeared and the "we should have hired Fickell" people have really been nowhere to be seen.

There's still a few around that are opposed to our coach for whatever reasons and remain adamant that Sanders, Fickell, Meyer or another candidate should've been "the guy". If their achievement histories were to be examined, I'm quite sure that it would reveal that most haven't accomplished much, if anything, particularly remarkable and, probably have played a role in failures themselves. The loudest critics/experts are often among the least qualified to make accurate assessments. This does not apply to all, of coarse, although there are plenty of these kinds around with their infinite intelligence that have answers for just about everything. You might've experienced such a person a time or two!  :lol:

• TBH 3

I didn't want Urban Meyer, either. 

Honestly, we would have given every new coach the benefit of the doubt for awhile --- and if they were all 3-3 at the moment (a likelihood) we'd be having roughly the same conversation. Every coach gets three seasons to show their recruiting chops. 

It's amazing to look at the coaching candidates from 2014 when we hired Riley, and 2017, when we hired Frost; how few of them succeeded and how many are no longer head coaches, or coaching at all. 

• TBH 1

7 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

who are all the stud OL coaches out there that I've seen people talking about?  And what would make them come to Nebraska for the same job?  

I think this a reasonable take. 

None of us really follow OL coaches across the nation deeply enough to assume who could be a great OL coach here with NU as a destination job. 

Maybe if the money is right?  Maybe if someone wants to get out from the SEC? 

But looking back, hiring an OL coach could be because they are on the hot seat somewhere else, lost their job, it's their first job, did a decent job at a smaller school, have Nebraska ties, or are a hanging carrot for recruiting nephews/family members?  I don't know....  I don't know who this great OL coach is that is out there waiting to flip their gig for Nebraska.  

Since the early 2000's these are our OL coaches.  From current to way back.

Raiola 

Greg Austin

Cavanaugh (the worst IMHO)

Barney Cotton 

Dennis Wagner

Cotton

We all want a priority for an OLINE coach for 2 decades.  But we've had so many new coaches and different AD's, it just hasn't worked out that way.  :hmmph

• Plus1 3
3 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I may be wrong, but something tells me technique is more important and more teachable for offensive linemen than other positions. A lot of big, strong and quick guys are going to be dominant in high school, but may have had little to no technique taught them by high school coaches. 

I hated coaching OL.  It was hard for me.  I hated coaching most all things on offense.  WR was probably the most annoying because practicing running routes is painfully boring.  

• Plus1 1

Not sure yet if Raiola is the problem with the Oline. Corcoran playing like a tomato can isn’t on him I don’t think. So I’ll give a pass there. 
Looks like he is recruiting decently. So I’ll reserve judgement on him until we see “his guys” processed in and see what they can do. 

• TBH 1
22 hours ago, admo said:

I think this a reasonable take. 

None of us really follow OL coaches across the nation deeply enough to assume who could be a great OL coach here with NU as a destination job. 

Maybe if the money is right?  Maybe if someone wants to get out from the SEC? 

But looking back, hiring an OL coach could be because they are on the hot seat somewhere else, lost their job, it's their first job, did a decent job at a smaller school, have Nebraska ties, or are a hanging carrot for recruiting nephews/family members?  I don't know....  I don't know who this great OL coach is that is out there waiting to flip their gig for Nebraska.  

Since the early 2000's these are our OL coaches.  From current to way back.

Raiola 

Greg Austin

Cavanaugh (the worst IMHO)

Barney Cotton 

Dennis Wagner

Cotton

We all want a priority for an OLINE coach for 2 decades.  But we've had so many new coaches and different AD's, it just hasn't worked out that way.  :hmmph

Add to it a revolving door of OCs to the mix as well. With our drastic change in offensive scheme/philosophy from last year to this year, I think more fans should have patience with Raiola. We're seeing improvement despite the injuries, just have to trust that the coaches will figure it out together.

Reminds me a little of fans whining about Pelini back in the day... the assumption that the next guy would be better. :facepalm:

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Add to it a revolving door of OCs to the mix as well. With our drastic change in offensive scheme/philosophy from last year to this year, I think more fans should have patience with Raiola. We're seeing improvement despite the injuries, just have to trust that the coaches will figure it out together.

Reminds me a little of fans whining about Pelini back in the day... the assumption that the next guy would be better. :facepalm:

The assumption that you're hiring a better coach than you're firing is understandable. 

2 hours ago, Scofrosghost said:

Not sure yet if Raiola is the problem with the Oline. Corcoran playing like a tomato can isn’t on him I don’t think. So I’ll give a pass there. 
Looks like he is recruiting decently. So I’ll reserve judgement on him until we see “his guys” processed in and see what they can do. 

Everyone on the line who had played here last year is playing better except Corcoran.  Everyone is playing better than they did game one...except Corcoran. 

• Plus1 2