Is it coaching or recruiting?

Just now, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Everyone on the line who had played here last year is playing better except Corcoran.  Everyone is playing better than they did game one...except Corcoran. 

I'd say he's playing better than last year, and better than against Minnesota. That's just a lower bar to clear for him personally. In limited action, Teddy has done nothing to take the job from him either.

Just now, Husker in WI said:

I'd say he's playing better than last year, and better than against Minnesota. That's just a lower bar to clear for him personally. In limited action, Teddy has done nothing to take the job from him either.

Yeah Teddy's lower body does not look good and he is a false start waiting to happen.  Is Luto next in line?

12 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Yeah Teddy's lower body does not look good and he is a false start waiting to happen.  Is Luto next in line?

Not at tackle, Lutovsky is 100% a guard and was also rough in early action. Gottula is currently the #3 LT.

8 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Also since this has to do with recruiting and coaching I thought I heard HCMR say they moved someone from defensive line to Offense.  My first thought Mashakeshack (sp?).  Any word on who it was.?

He and Goldman were brought in as OL/DL, so I don't think it was either of them. Rhule made it sound like it was a request he made out of left field, and it wouldn't have been a shock for either of those guys. Which leaves Sua Lefotu or Vincent Carroll-Jackson (Van Poppel is firmly in the DL rotation), although I'm not sure it matters since it was just for a few days.

5 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Not at tackle, Lutovsky is 100% a guard and was also rough in early action. Gottula is currently the #3 LT.

He and Goldman were brought in as OL/DL, so I don't think it was either of them. Rhule made it sound like it was a request he made out of left field, and it wouldn't have been a shock for either of those guys. Which leaves Sua Lefotu or Vincent Carroll-Jackson (Van Poppel is firmly in the DL rotation), although I'm not sure it matters since it was just for a few days.

As soon as I sent it I was like wait Luto played guard.  I kinda just feel like coach is just trying to prove the can coach and that's why they stuck with guys who were trash last year and the year before 

It’s both, but you can’t have one without the other.

Nebraska has lacked leadership and culture.  They’ve had good recruits.  They’ve had good coaches.  They’ve had poor culture builders.

I really want to see how Rhule finishes the year.  There have obviously been some tough games, but there is a real opportunity to build some confidence.

2 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

As soon as I sent it I was like wait Luto played guard.  I kinda just feel like coach is just trying to prove the can coach and that's why they stuck with guys who were trash last year and the year before 

Maybe, but I think it's just as likely the guys behind the starters aren't as good. Sounds like some of Raiola's recruits are doing well (Gottula, Sledge), it's just not a place where you can plug in freshmen easily. Getting one legitimate starter from the portal was big, and if we'd landed that LT from Stanford we'd be trying to nominate Raiola for the Broyles award.

You can build a good line slow and steady (and I think Raiola is doing that), but the only way to drastically improve a specific position on the line in one year is the portal. And the position we need the most help with happens to be the one where every team in the country will be after any passable option in the portal. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Everyone on the line who had played here last year is playing better except Corcoran.  Everyone is playing better than they did game one...except Corcoran. 

I agree, he's not a LT or RT.  But it is hard to tell if everyone is playing better.  For example, we chew the clock at the LOS, run the ball a lot, and don't pass much.  We do seem to have improved in the running game quite a bit, and at times we have had plenty of time to throw but just don't pull the trigger.  Props to the OL coach and the running scheme (which is also different this year) and the play calling (also different and steadier).  

Last year, the OL was very, very bad in the running game when we got involved in Big Ten play.  Pass blocking was horrible all year.  Casey Thompson was making reads & decisions where to throw the ball and getting rid of it within 3-4 seconds (NFL rate is 2.7 to 4).  And yet the pocket would get collapsed before that.  And Casey got slammed to the turf.  The O-line could not consistently hold a 4 man rush to allow time for our QB to read and throw, and it made everything difficult (for QB and for WRs/TEs to get to their spots) and we had no choice but to take sacks.  

I am still iffy on Raiola.  I kind of think we are okay at times, but still see struggling at the LOS in run game and pass pro.  Benhart has improved.  Scott is a transfer.  NN has split some snaps with Lutovsky.  Piper has whiffed a lot.  Corcoran gets beat on pass pro and doesn't help in the running game much.  So maybe it's not all on Raiola, but more on the squad on the field, who happen to be the biggest and most experienced vets out there.  Next year we will know for sure, and DR will be back here again.  

• Plus1 2

4 hours ago, admo said:

I agree, he's not a LT or RT.  But it is hard to tell if everyone is playing better.  For example, we chew the clock at the LOS, run the ball a lot, and don't pass much.  We do seem to have improved in the running game quite a bit, and at times we have had plenty of time to throw but just don't pull the trigger.  Props to the OL coach and the running scheme (which is also different this year) and the play calling (also different and steadier).  

Last year, the OL was very, very bad in the running game when we got involved in Big Ten play.  Pass blocking was horrible all year.  Casey Thompson was making reads & decisions where to throw the ball and getting rid of it within 3-4 seconds (NFL rate is 2.7 to 4).  And yet the pocket would get collapsed before that.  And Casey got slammed to the turf.  The O-line could not consistently hold a 4 man rush to allow time for our QB to read and throw, and it made everything difficult (for QB and for WRs/TEs to get to their spots) and we had no choice but to take sacks.  

I am still iffy on Raiola.  I kind of think we are okay at times, but still see struggling at the LOS in run game and pass pro.  Benhart has improved.  Scott is a transfer.  NN has split some snaps with Lutovsky.  Piper has whiffed a lot.  Corcoran gets beat on pass pro and doesn't help in the running game much.  So maybe it's not all on Raiola, but more on the squad on the field, who happen to be the biggest and most experienced vets out there.  Next year we will know for sure, and DR will be back here again.  

It's more/mostly who we have on the field. Skill, physical features and mental aspects. Although coaching likely shoulders some responsibility. Particularly in the area of recruitment. Candidates have pause when they aren't seeing better results and the confidence isn't there like it might be elsewhere. Much of these things we see so often though, aren't on the coaches but players. Bringing in the right linemen short and longer-term will advance our cause considerably. 

48 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

image.thumb.png.bf0c534a62436f5fc58896b6baeffe21.png

already ahead of last year.  I'ld say this points to coaching.  They are getting sacks from multiple guys.  Jimari Butler has the most with 3 solos and a couple 1/2 sacks.  

This is going to be really interesting to watch through the rest of the year.  Obviously, the scouting report on Nebraska is to not run.  Pass the ball. But, if our front end of our defense keep splaying the way they are, that's more and more difficult to do.

We have said for years that we need a good pass rush to help out the back end of the defense. Well...we are finally seeing that...and it's fun to watch.

• Plus1 3
15 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is going to be really interesting to watch through the rest of the year.  Obviously, the scouting report on Nebraska is to not run.  Pass the ball. But, if our front end of our defense keep splaying the way they are, that's more and more difficult to do.

We have said for years that we need a good pass rush to help out the back end of the defense. Well...we are finally seeing that...and it's fun to watch.

The stats are misleading a bit, thanks to two 8 sack games (Colorado and Northwestern). We have 8 total in the other 5 games, including 3 at Minnesota.  So while there has been overall production, it is streaky, related to the quality of competition no doubt.  Colorado also wanted to just sit there and sling it all day, they're dead last at 5 sacks per game given up.  Better than before though, for sure.