Is it coaching or recruiting?

5 hours ago, Scofrosghost said:

I get what you are saying about talent. In the offenses defense though, they are moving the ball and putting some drives together. They are constantly in the redzone. Is that a talent thing or is that coaching? Devils advocate..

I don't know enough about coaching to say if it is or isn't but, if nebraska had a offensive line and some rbs or a red zone threat at wr those red zone numbers would probably look better. Having a s#!tty kicker doesn't help either.

• TBH 1

Good stuff and discussion.  I think that the D staff has been able to use and more importantly develop the guys they had AND brought in some good portal guys.  They also seemed to have a plan to get guys some live snaps as soon as possible to develop them on the fly and get some much needed depth.  I like that they also have guys starting (or in the 2 deep) that really never got a look from Frost and Co.  Unsure if this was the new scheme benefitted guys or the "clean" slate and "better" staff evaluated guys and subsequently developed them.

Still out on Satt with some play calling, but it appears that Rhule and he have gotten into the same lane so to speak as to the direction of the O.  I still don't think that Tommie Frazier or ac Taylor would have success with this OL.  Throw in Sims and HH who are not either of those just mentioned and we are down to 3rd string or lower WR's (not a knock on their talent, but might not have really even been looked at to play this year until injuries), MASH unit at RB and QB struggles.  And our OL....

I'd also think that guys on O further down the depth chart might even "go through the motion" at practice not thinking they'd ever get in.  Staff might have concentrated on the 2 deep at skill positions.  Trying to get projected starters up to speed with new scheme.  Now "X" games in, with time needing to be spent putting in game plan for next opponent, the staff is also having to bring guys up to speed on the scheme, build rapport with the QB, OL, timing etc....(Why a bowl is SO IMPORTANT).  White seemed to understand the brutal schedule of the B1G and really seemed to want depth asap.  IMHO, it shows.  

26 minutes ago, Heretic Husker said:

We are a little brother clone of the Pellini team when he had Zack Lee as QB and Suh on defense....... uh make that a midget clone

That would be Bo's second year, while Rhule is still in his first year, so maybe that's not such a bad place to be right now.

• Plus1 1

Both recruiting and coaching/development. More recruiting than anything. And, the coaching includes effectiveness with recruiting. 

There are a variety of contributing factors of coarse though mainly it's not having effective offensive line play and the quarterback position. The line and QB is so integral to everything else. Then, there's the skill level of the receivers and the various injuries. We've got some talented young receivers with speed lacking experience. You've got to get the offensive line issues remedied primarily, introduce high level quarterback play and make additions to positions for the QB to utilize so that it's a sound, complementary unit. We need to feature a running back that can do a variety of things well too that's a tough, durable runner. Achieving those things simultaneous is a real challenge. It will be quite incremental in nature. 

A big effort needs to be made to change the trajectory of the offensive line play by significant degrees and gain momentum from there drawing legitimate play makers from there and quarterback out. I'm not sure what Rhule's response will be at the conclusion of the season. He definitely needs to begin providing answers. There's an urgency needed for making strides with the climb up while there's a need to demonstrate patience.

It will take time and, if necessary, adjustments to the staff though it's difficult to measure at this juncture with respect to personnel given several factors. Bringing in a solid, known O-line coach that can recruit well, if possible, would be my suggestion/preference. That area's performances are frustrating to me in particular. 

10 minutes ago, M.A. said:

Both recruiting and coaching/development. More recruiting than anything. And, the coaching includes effectiveness with recruiting. 

There are a variety of contributing factors of coarse though mainly it's not having effective offensive line play and the quarterback position. The line and QB is so integral to everything else. Then, there's the skill level of the receivers and the various injuries. We've got some talented young receivers with speed lacking experience. You've got to get the offensive line issues remedied primarily, introduce high level quarterback play and make additions to positions for the QB to utilize so that it's a sound, complementary unit. We need to feature a running back that can do a variety of things well too that's a tough, durable runner. Achieving those things simultaneous is a real challenge. It will be quite incremental in nature. 

A big effort needs to be made to change the trajectory of the offensive line play by significant degrees and gain momentum from there drawing legitimate play makers from there and quarterback out. I'm not sure what Rhule's response will be at the conclusion of the season. He definitely needs to begin providing answers. There's an urgency needed for making strides with the climb up while there's a need to demonstrate patience.

It will take time and, if necessary, adjustments to the staff though it's difficult to measure at this juncture with respect to personnel given several factors. Bringing in a solid, known O-line coach that can recruit well, if possible, would be my suggestion/preference. That area's performances are frustrating to me in particular. 

Much like when a DL can create pressure 4 on 5..an OL that can neutralize pressure 5 on 4/5, you have a very solid OL foundation. We need OL. We need to be a school that goes heavy on NIL for OL with Omaha Steaks funding it. Come be an OL at Nebraska and free steak for life!

• TBH 2

So what I’m hearing from you guys…

We already had the talent on defense, but between Busch and White we’ve seen them get closer to their potential. 

Offensively, we don’t have the pieces on the field yet but Satt has done a good job with what he has inherited. (One thing I do really like is he recognizes what he has and trying to scheme around that instead of forcing these players into a scheme they can’t execute.)

I still think the offense has moved the ball well enough to win games if not for unforced errors. 
So the million dollar question is still there; how do they fix the turnovers? 
Is that talent? Is that coaching? Is that a mental hurdle that can’t be overcome?? 

• Plus1 1

I mean, the attrition at QB, RB and WR is almost ridiculous this season.

Rhule/Satterfield can only take heat for pinning their first season on Jeff Sims. That's a sizeable miscalculation. But it's amazing how one good quarterback changes everything. I might be less forgiving if there aren't two different and more promising QBs on the roster next season. 

Given the bye week, the lowered expectations, the untested youngsters thrown into the fire, and Haarberg, it will be interesting to see if the staff can scheme something better out of these guys for a remaining season against highly mediocre foes. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
Just now, Guy Chamberlin said:

I mean, the attrition at QB, RB and WR is almost ridiculous this season.

Rhule/Satterfield can only take heat for pinning their first season on Jeff Sims. That's a sizeable miscalculation. But it's amazing how one good quarterback changes everything. I might be less forgiving if there aren't two different and more promising QBs on the roster next season. 

Given the bye week, the lowered expectations, the untested youngsters thrown into the fire, and Haarberg, it will be interesting to see if the staff can scheme something better out of these guys for a remaining season against highly mediocre foes. 

I'm at least somewhat hopeful that the bye week will not only provide some rest and recuperation, but allow a bunch of WRs and RBs that probably weren't getting as many reps in fall camp to get up to speed better and get some chemistry together.

Of course, it would be interesting to know how the practice reps at QB are being distributed as well.

• Plus1 4

I’m going to say recruiting is the main culprit as we have no depth.  I’m watching Michigan v Indiana and Michigan has guys like Donavan Edwards as their back up.  On the coaching side no surprise for me it is the OL and that was the holdover from Frost’s staff. There’s been more than enough time to show player development and improvement but is not there and really holding us back on offense. The best thing this team could do is get a stud OL coach and make it a focus of this team. Other teams own the flash and dash chuck the ball around and it’s only going to get more of that with the PAC 12 teams coming. We need to be known as an OL identity program. It’s embarrassing the OL play and we need to restore that. Props to White for getting  improvement with the Blackshirts.  

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

I’m going to say recruiting is the main culprit as we have no depth.  I’m watching Michigan v Indiana and Michigan has guys like Donavan Edwards as their back up.  On the coaching side no surprise for me it is the OL and that was the holdover from Frost’s staff. There’s been more than enough time to show player development and improvement but is not there and really holding us back on offense. The best thing this team could do is get a stud OL coach and make it a focus of this team. Other teams own the flash and dash chuck the ball around and it’s only going to get more of that with the PAC 12 teams coming. We need to be known as an OL identity program. It’s embarrassing the OL play and we need to restore that. Props to White for getting  improvement with the Blackshirts.  

Rhule and Co have embraced the Black Shirts history and intensity.  They now need to truly embrace the OL pipeline history and tradition.  Regardless of skill position talent, poor OL play can't out skilled.  Not to be a consistent winner and in the hunt.

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

I'm at least somewhat hopeful that the bye week will not only provide some rest and recuperation, but allow a bunch of WRs and RBs that probably weren't getting as many reps in fall camp to get up to speed better and get some chemistry together.

Of course, it would be interesting to know how the practice reps at QB are being distributed as well.

I love this take  :cheers  I'm right there with you

7 hours ago, Scofrosghost said:

Offensively, we don’t have the pieces on the field yet but Satt has done a good job with what he has inherited. (One thing I do really like is he recognizes what he has and trying to scheme around that instead of forcing these players into a scheme they can’t execute.)

Meanwhile, a certain other coach that got a lot of talk for our head coaching position...

• Plus1 2