What did we learn? Northwestern Version

2 hours ago, cheekygeek said:

While recognizing that he took a step back in his development against NW, I think people are not appreciating what Haarberg has done for this team: LEAD. He’s a leader and the team plays hard for him. With him under center, the team has improved from 0-2 to be 5-3. Those of you just concentrating on his faults kind of nauseate me.

Also, he would probably benefit from an actual QB Coach, which Nebraska does not have.

He does have an actual QB coach.... Our last staff had a dedicated qb coach and look how great that turned out.

At a quick glance, georgia,  alabama, and clemson the 3 progrums who have pretty much ran college football for 15 years also structure their staff in a way where the QB coach is handled by the OC/HC/or split role.... seems to work ok for them?  

• Plus1 3
56 minutes ago, Red Five said:

We don't have a QB coach?

We most certainly do have a qb coach.  I think cheekygeek is simply living up to the former part of his name and not so much of the latter.  The passion, dare I say cheekiness is there, but for a geek I would expect a bit more familiarity and understanding of how our staff is structured.

• Thanks 1
46 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

He does have an actual QB coach.... Our last staff had a dedicated qb coach and look how great that turned out.

At a quick glance, georgia,  alabama, and clemson the 3 progrums who have pretty much ran college football for 15 years also structure their staff in a way where the QB coach is handled by the OC/HC/or split role.... seems to work ok for them?  

They also sign better QBs.  Maybe we should try that.  

• TBH 2

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I believe Rhule and Satterfield work together on them.  Satterfield coached QBs at South Carolina and East Tennessee State, 

49 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

We most certainly do have a qb coach.  

I know we have a QB coach.  It was a rhetorical question.

Every year, fan bases debate the value of a specific qb coach, and it almost always boils down to anecdotal examples of where one apparently worked and one apparently didn't.

Realistically, we might just all have to agree that perhaps there's more nuance to it all.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 6
10 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Every year, fan bases debate the value of a specific qb coach, and it almost always boils down to anecdotal examples of where one apparently worked and one apparently didn't.

Realistically, we might just all have to agree that perhaps there's more nuance to it all.

very true.  same can also be said for whoever the OC is.  Most maligned role in this progrum for 15 years now

34 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

He said we needed to recruit better.  Not recruit more stars.

He actually said : “they also sign better QBs”

not sure what your measuring stick for gauging recruiting better QBs is than to going off their rating out of hs.

if you really wanna spend a few minutes of your day arguing semantics of another posters wording, go ahead. To me- sign better qbs is elevating the talent and stature of the talent you’re bringing in. Tomato tomatoe

4 hours ago, cheekygeek said:

While recognizing that he took a step back in his development against NW, I think people are not appreciating what Haarberg has done for this team: LEAD. He’s a leader and the team plays hard for him. With him under center, the team has improved from 0-2 to be 5-3. Those of you just concentrating on his faults kind of nauseate me.

While it is most important that we are winning games, I do think it is important to objectively look at Haarberg's play and not let the ends justify the means. Yes, he is 4-1 as the starter with the lone loss against Michigan. However, it must be taken into account that the four wins were against arguably the easiest opponents on our schedule. 

The problem I see is that HH does not seem to be improving and instead gives me the impression that he's our version of a more mobile Spencer Petras. The sidearm throwing is especially frustrating as he throws like a much smaller QB and his indecisiveness is not allowing him to utilize his athleticism as often. I hope Rhule's comments about him yesterday regarding being in a phase are accurate and that he will grow out of it. With the offense down several starters, we will need him to step up soon.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1