2023 - 2024 Portal - Ins and Outs

chamrocck

• chamrocckBlackshirt
  • Members

So why is Howard leaving KSU? He’s been a good QB fit for the

Howard was figured to be a mid-round 24' draft pick, after his sensational year in 2022.  An early struggle, with a whole new receiving corp, this year set him back on his draft status. K-State recruited one of the top 10 high school quarterbacks in the country, Avery Johnson out of Wichita, and that wasn't going to happen if he was expected to sit the bench in his 2nd year. Don't think there was ever a plan for Howard to play at K-State in 24 and plan B was put in play,with the portal, to enhance his 25' draft status.

16 minutes ago, Mavric said:

"We" did recruit him.  Just not all of the "we" were that excited.

Yeah right, we just weren't that excited; and what might I ask does excite us!

Johnson, the No. 1 player in Kansas and the No. 12 quarterback in the country, announced his commitment to Kansas State. Johnson picked the Wildcats over a long list of national suitors, including early offers from Arkansas, Notre Dame, Ole Miss, Florida State, Missouri, Tennessee, Nebraska, Auburn and  WashingtonOregon before selecting the Wildcats.

On 11/25/2023 at 10:00 PM, lo country said:

IMHO, the way the portal is now, unofficial folks, will reach out to "perspective" transfer portals unofficial folks to gauge interest and arrange NIL deal.  Don't really think that the "higher" rated guys just enter and hope to be taken.  Wonder who we are reaching out too?

This is indeed how it's being utilized and coach Prime saying wait until you see what we have coming before they've played their final game & a single player is in the portal is the answer to the question nobody really wants to ask.  

I'm not naive, but Rhule is on record as saying NU won't do this because and I'm paraphrasing here, I can't ask our players to follow the rules if we're circumventing them.  

• TBH 1
5 hours ago, floridacorn said:

This is indeed how it's being utilized and coach Prime saying wait until you see what we have coming before they've played their final game & a single player is in the portal is the answer to the question nobody really wants to ask.  

I'm not naive, but Rhule is on record as saying NU won't do this because and I'm paraphrasing here, I can't ask our players to follow the rules if we're circumventing them.  

There is real issues of stealing for the NCAA and conferences to deal with, like assistants stealing signals…

• Haha 1

I know we will lose some players to the portal, and I suspect there will be a surprise or two.  We will every year.

But, I'm surprised we haven't heard anything of Nebraska players announcing.

We have roughly 2 months to get players on campus to start second semester so they can participate in Spring Ball.  I would hope we have our transfer QB within the next few weeks.  Then, they can focus on players around him, like WRs.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I know we will lose some players to the portal, and I suspect there will be a surprise or two.  We will every year.

But, I'm surprised we haven't heard anything of players announcing.

Next week the portal will really kick off. Dec 5 will be an explosion.  

• Plus1 3
7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

But, I'm surprised we haven't heard anything of Nebraska players announcing.

We have roughly 2 months to get players on campus to start second semester so they can participate in Spring Ball.  I would hope we have our transfer QB within the next few weeks.  Then, they can focus on players around him, like WRs.

Let’s get Will Howard, a freshman QB portal transfer, an OT, IOL, and a dynamic WR if available and I will be a happy camper. 

• Oh Yeah! 2
  • TBH 2
On 11/27/2023 at 8:00 AM, runningblind said:

Neither of those guys produced anything like they are now at their old schools, so the new environment helped all parties. We can hope for something like that, but it hasn't happened yet at Nebraska where all the pieces fit and raises everyone's play.

The Penix/UW thing was a perfect fit since DeBoer was the OC at Indiana when Penix was there. Penix showed flashes at times but as @teachercd mentioned, he was always hurt. IIRC, he had 3 or 4 seasons end early due to injury. I was honestly pretty surprised he came back to UW because he made it through a season with no injury. He's looked a little off these past few games so I wouldn't be surprised if he's knicked up again.