2023 - 2024 Portal - Ins and Outs

4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

A top of the 1st round pick makes in the $6M-$8M range as a rookie.  So I could see someone ponying up that amount for Marv.

But in the NFL the big money is getting to the 2nd contract.  I would think you would want to get to that ASAP.

Henderson could probably make more than what he could get in the draft next year. So he could maybe come back.

1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

He would also be one year later to starting his free agent clock/second contract 

Yeah, I would think if you assume a second contract it would pay more in the long run to be negotiating that at 26 instead of 27 as an RB. But there's injury risk too, so might be smarter to just take the most money you can get now. 

Just now, Husker in WI said:

Yeah, I would think if you assume a second contract it would pay more in the long run to be negotiating that at 26 instead of 27 as an RB. But there's injury risk too, so might be smarter to just take the most money you can get now. 

But if he’s first round he gets a good signing bonus which essentially guarantees two years of that contract because of the salary cap 

NIL is only 1 yr guaranteed 

11 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

But if he’s first round he gets a good signing bonus which essentially guarantees two years of that contract because of the salary cap 

NIL is only 1 yr guaranteed 

From what I have heard, NIL is nothing fully guaranteed.  This doesn't seem like a question, if you can be a 1st round pick, you absolutely go. 

• TBH 1
1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

2nd round you go also, and can actually be better for the player than being a late first round since a team option 5th year contract is not a thing for 2nd round picks 

Im sure there is insurance they can purchase but you have to go to the draft. A RB’s lifespan is just too short to risk blowing an ACL. He would 100% hinder his draft stock.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2

3 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Im sure there is insurance they can purchase but you have to go to the draft. A RB’s lifespan is just too short to risk blowing an ACL. He would 100% hinder his draft stock.

The NFL doesn't value running backs anymore.  Most teams have a 2 back system now.  Its sad bc most running backs in the NFL you can't compare to Barry Sanders or Walter Payton now these days.  Shoot it was a struggle for Jonathan Taylor to get a new contract and look what he has done for the Colts.  Yes he got injured but NFL rushing leader one year.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

You gotta think Harrison Jr is definitely gone. Getting a giant bag as a RB though is pretty compelling. Less games, fewer carries, way weaker competition. It's definitely something to think about.

But the older a RB gets, the less value he has in the NFL.  So he might be trading a one-year gain for a long-term loss.

19 hours ago, lo country said:

Honest question/observation.  I wonder what type of offense we are planning to use next year.  (Don't want another discussion of scheme/identity).  Basically a dual threat QB or more "traditional" passing QB.   I think by default and circumstances we ran the QB A LOT. Some by design and necessity.  BUT, it looks like we are interviewing QB's with a diverse skill sets.  Some appear to be true "traditional" passing QB's.  Other more dual threat.  I am ASSuming that looking at more traditional QB's we are possibly going away from the "running qb", but then Howard is being looked at.  More dual threat guy.  Do we simply run a style based upon the QB?  Can our current O do just as well in one vs the other.  

My .02 is that Satt has a more pro style traditional bent, so I am guessing we might be leaning that way to get an O he "wants" or is more comfortable with.  Just seems we are looking for QB's not like our current 3.  

We all know that the talk about going back to 90's running was just a gimmick to appease the fans. If we get McCord we'll most likely do what all the top teams are doing. No way we minimize his arm talent just to showcase the most pathetic running game we've seen in a while.
Edit: Going along with the 'We're the old timey Huskers' script and trying to be the jack of all trades Alf and Ralph Deck Builders is making Satterfield look confused and indecisive. He needs to call what he calls best and turn off the outside interference.