2023 - 2024 Portal - Ins and Outs

We need another good back.  Injuries have hurt us badly the past few years  - adding more depth with a quality player would be great. 

https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/article/dante-dowdell-visiting-nebraska-football-program-in-early-january--223704164/

Could the Huskers still add a running back to the mix? We can provide an update to one back the Nebraska staff was in contact with before signing day.

Dante Dowdell, who spent his first year of college football in the Oregon program, now has a scheduled official visit to Nebraska from Jan. 5-7, his father Lawrence Hopkins confirmed to Husker247.

Husker head coach Matt Rhule expressed interest in still adding a running back to the room in the days after the Iowa game.

Dowdell had a great high school career down in Mississippi.

He finished senior season with 2,165 yards and 31 touchdowns on 8.3 yards per carry. He had 386 receiving yards in addition to that. He finished high school career with 5,301 rushing yards and 65 TDs on 8.0 yards per carry.

• Oh Yeah! 2
6 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Given his resume and tape, I had assumed there wasn't much demand for him. 

He was a 4* recruit in HS, I'd think there'd be a decent amount of interest just based on that.

17 hours ago, Toe said:

He was a 4* recruit in HS, I'd think there'd be a decent amount of interest just based on that.

Chubba looked so shaky in spot duty last year, I don't think many of us were shocked to see him enter this season third string to another portal transfer and a homegrown kid with almost no game experience. He wasn't in Casey Thompson's position, that's for sure. 

He looked better this year when given the chance, but didn't escape the turnover bug. Although it should be irrelevant, I guarantee his stock improved by being related to Brock Purdy, as in "Chubba Purdy could be the next Brock Purdy"

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Chubba looked so shaky in spot duty last year, I don't think many of us were shocked to see him enter this season third string to another portal transfer and a homegrown kid with almost no game experience. He wasn't in Casey Thompson's position, that's for sure. 

He looked better this year when given the chance, but didn't escape the turnover bug. Although it should be irrelevant, I guarantee his stock improved by being related to Brock Purdy, as in "Chubba Purdy could be the next Brock Purdy"

Shaky….as in quite a bit better than the two guys ahead of him shaky?

Sorry. Had to go there. :D

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Shaky….as in quite a bit better than the two guys ahead of him shaky?

Sorry. Had to go there. :D

By "last year" I meant Casey Thompson and Logan Smothers, and Chubba having 3.1 yards per 48 attempts and 3 INTs to 0 TDS.  If you were on the other side of the portal, no fanbase was gonna get excited about flipping Chubba. 

• Plus1 2
17 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

By "last year" I meant Casey Thompson and Logan Smothers, and Chubba having 3.1 yards per 48 attempts and 3 INTs to 0 TDS.  If you were on the other side of the portal, no fanbase was gonna get excited about flipping Chubba. 

Aaaah, two seasons ago…

Well now my smartassery seems misplaced.

• Haha 1