2023 - 2024 Portal - Ins and Outs

40 minutes ago, Decked said:

Lloyd/Coleman have loads of potential. But, we need some established production. There’s your two WRs last year who really flashed anything. 

We've seen the impact transfers can have immediately (Palmer & Toure).  It makes no sense to not bring in experienced/established talent at this point.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 5

5 visitors at various times over the next few days staring tonight.

Texas WR Isaiah Neyor (1 year remaining + medical waiver possible)

Wake Forest WR Jahmal Banks (1 year remaining)

Oregon RB Dante Dowdell (3 years remaining) 

Idaho LB Xe’ree Alexander (3 years remaining)

Syracuse LB Stefon Thompson (2 years remaining)

• Plus1 4
  • Oh Yeah! 3
1 hour ago, Red Five said:

5 visitors at various times over the next few days staring tonight.

Texas WR Isaiah Neyor (1 year remaining + medical waiver possible)

Wake Forest WR Jahmal Banks (1 year remaining)

Oregon RB Dante Dowdell (3 years remaining) 

Idaho LB Xe’ree Alexander (3 years remaining)

Syracuse LB Stefon Thompson (2 years remaining)

Yes please 

• Worth a Look 1

9 minutes ago, commando said:

i haven't kept up on the portal.   i think we lost about half dozen and gained 0 so far?

Gained one lost very few scholarship players. Only one that is unfortunate is Purdy. We will see a good amount of attrition post spring. Need to get to 85.

12 hours ago, Red Five said:

Yes, I am 100% trying to stir up drama by pointing out that the production of our returning WR core is scant. :eye roll:

Also, the returning WRs counted for 5 TDs, not 9.

I think having a veteran WR would be beneficial.  It seems the coaches feel the same way.  I don't understand why  people are against bringing in a talented WR that would help to improve the offense.  We've brought in 1 year rental WRs before, some have been great (Toure, Palmer), some haven't (Noa, Kemp).

And nowhere did I say that who we have coming back can't be great.  I hope they all take the next step.

A transfer portal receiver or 2 could possibly help, I agree.  If they work hard and contribute during the year, for sure. 

You discounted our 1st year player at TE as a receiving option.  Fidone runs routes too and is a big part of the passing/receiving game.

Lloyd, Coleman & Fidone

39 catches 

647 yards 

8 touchdowns 

That's pretty good production for 2 true freshmen and a TE who hadn't played in a few years because of injuries.

Add Bullock to the crew and it's 54 catches and nearly 900 yards.

And, Emmer Johnson was also a 1st time player as rFr and got 60, 70, 70+ yards in games when he wasn't even among the top 3 backs to see the field when the season began.  Now he looks like a possible starter going into next year.

All I am saying is that we recruited these guys, it's going to take time, they produced in year 1, they will get better with more reps, and we need patience.  Can't have an impatient microwave mentality when building something great. Transfer portal may help with veteran leadership, but don't mistake it for better talent than we already have.  We will be fine.  We got our QB and need some patience there too.  But, we will be better than this past year for sure.

• Haha 2

Is Nebraska trying to take 2 linebackers?  Yes I know they are bringing in both but does one take precedence over the other?  Also I wonder if Nebraska is trying to go after another qb that has some experience? Yes I know we played 3 qb's last season but you would think ideally we would want 4 just in case of injury and to give DK time to develop and not just thrown to the wolves.

9 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Is Nebraska trying to take 2 linebackers?  Yes I know they are bringing in both but does one take precedence over the other?  Also I wonder if Nebraska is trying to go after another qb that has some experience? Yes I know we played 3 qb's last season but you would think ideally we would want 4 just in case of injury and to give DK time to develop and not just thrown to the wolves.

We have 5.  We got 2 transfers last year, Mississippi & Iowa Western as walk-ons.

Pretty safe to assume any and possibly all transfers that come in will not affect scholarship numbers. They will be brought in via NIL. 

as long as the money is there. They will continue to bring in competition 

• TBH 1