What did we learn? Purdue edition

Red Five

14 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I will say I prefer a s#!t offense and good defense to a s#!t defense and good offense

But I am hoping next year we have a good defense and at least a mediocre offense. 

Yeah, take USC for example, and they have a GREAT offense. They have scored at least 42 points in all of their wins. If they don't reach that, they lose. USC pulled a W out 50-49 because of a 2-point conversion stop against a Cal team with 1 decent win. USC's defense is ATROCIOUS, and their B1G record will reflect that next year. Teams are averaging 33 points a game vs them (112 in NCAAF and 9 in PAC-12). Their remaining schedule: #5 Washington, @ #8 Oregon, #23 UCLA. Have fun USC!

I would much rather win with a bad offense and good defense.

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Thanks!  At least this will put the stop to “why isn’t Sims getting a series or two” when HH isn’t playing well. But, now I’m seeing that just move on to Purdy. 

This is me. I wanted to see Sims again…..and now I know for sure his first two games weren’t an aberration. Won’t be needing to see him again.  And yes, now I definitely would like to see what Purdy can do.

Is there any reason a fan should not be feeling this way? What has HH done to inspire confidence and prevent these thoughts from creeping in?

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 2
11 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

This is me. I wanted to see Sims again…..and now I know for sure his first two games weren’t an aberration. Won’t be needing to see him again.  And yes, now I definitely would like to see what Purdy can do.

Is there any reason a fan should not be feeling this way? What has HH done to inspire confidence and prevent these thoughts from creeping in?

I agree wholeheartedly with you.   Asking to get a second look at Sims based on HH previous performances wasn’t an outlandish ask.   Sims subsequently crapped the bed and now we understand it’s HH or bust since Purdy doesn’t seem to be an option. 

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 1

I wonder how well Woche and Longval know the playbook? Way back in the day we used to go 30 points ahead and get to see some of the backups in the 4th quarter. It looks from the highlights that they both passed quite a bit in high school but I guess from not knowing anything about them that I'd start out giving the ball to Woche due to Longval's knee injury since our QB is required to run for his life much of the time. I wonder if a local reporter has an accurate take on these guys?

27 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I agree wholeheartedly with you.   Asking to get a second look at Sims based on HH previous performances wasn’t an outlandish ask.   Sims subsequently crapped the bed and now we understand it’s HH or bust since Purdy doesn’t seem to be an option. 

I agree. But now I want them to pretend I’m from Missouri and show me that Purdy actually isn’t an option. I just find it hard to believe, even considering our recent past, that Nebraska does not have a QB as good or better than HH hiding somewhere on the team.

I get that Sims was a swing and miss by the new staff but damn, this is D1 P5 football. This one position is a prerequisite to unlock the potential of the entire offense.

• Plus1 1
48 minutes ago, mwj98 said:

Please tell me this is Sims last year of eligibility. I don’t want to see him taking a snap ever again. We should have one loss right now. 

I think he has at least one more year of eligibility left (possible that it might require a graduate year? I don't remember exactly).

Either way, I wager he will not be on the roster next year and that the coaches will encourage him to look elsewhere. I think HH is the only person on the current roster with a realistic chance of being the 2024 starter.

I'll be the turd. Love the wins and the overall D performance.

However, the D scheme against the pass bothers me. Yesterday, they survived off a good amount of dropped or just-missed passes.

- Don't like that we blitz on 3rd an short (5 or less to go) and drop into coverage on 3rd and medium to long (6 or more). If I were going to be consistent one way or the other, I would do the opposite.

- Perhaps its a talent issue, but way too much cushion, especially on the 3rd and shorts. I wished the CBs would jam at the line and then actually cover the man. 

Feel free to flame. ;)

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

I'd go with the team's record with Haarberg (5-1), memories of Purdy looking pretty awful, and the coaching staff watching all three practice every day. 

• TBH 2
4 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Thanks!  At least this will put the stop to “why isn’t Sims getting a series or two” when HH isn’t playing well. But, now I’m seeing that just move on to Purdy. 

To be clear, the ONLY reason I'm ever asking for the backup QB is to take some hits off of Haarberg. I know those guys aren't good enough, or better than Haarberg. But HH has taken a lot of abuse already, and we need him for at least one more win.

2 minutes ago, hskrpwr13 said:

I'll be the turd. Love the wins and the overall D performance.

However, the D scheme against the pass bothers me. Yesterday, they survived off a good amount of dropped or just-missed passes.

- Don't like that we blitz on 3rd an short (5 or less to go) and drop into coverage on 3rd and medium to long (6 or more). If I were going to be consistent one way or the other, I would do the opposite.

- Perhaps its a talent issue, but way too much cushion, especially on the 3rd and shorts. I wished the CBs would jam at the line and then actually cover the man. 

Feel free to flame. ;)

Not saying you're necessarily wrong, but I have a couple thoughts that may or may not make you feel better :D:

- RE: surviving off dropped or missed passes, some of this is credit to the defense. They took it to Purdue yesterday, creating tight throwing windows and disrupting routes. Obviously there were a few passes that Purdue could have (and should have) caught, but that's just part of the game and it's pretty clear Nebraska's D disrupted their mojo and I think it contributed to Purdue's overall offensive funk.
- RE: blitz and coverage decisions, I don't know what the analytics say, but I trust Tony White lol. His philosophy appears to be to want to apply pressure on 3rd and short situations to force quick passes. It's hard to get a good pass rush with just 3-4 guys. And the longer you give a QB, the more likely they are to find a guy. White wants to force that decision quickly apparently and force the QB/WR to make a play fast. He probably likes his chances.

• TBH 1

I'm gonna keep bringing up Woche and Longval since I got laughed at for suggesting we give Haarberg a shot. I guess you could say I'm holding a grudge. I'd give Purdy a shot but it seems like he checked out and is moving on.
The first Haarberg fumble he was almost down and the defender was grabbing at him like an angry B. Most self-respecting guys don't act like a bush leaguer in public....like when Prince and the Revolution was setting those fruity picks... players don't want to be seen with their hands down there. NFL players would frown on that. I think Harby and the guys also struggled with the cold some when it came to ball handling.

• Haha 3
  • Enhance changed the title to What did we learn? Purdue edition