Remember, Remember, No Loss in November

Mavric

9 hours ago, teachercd said:

Not coming back for next season is the talk.  They are letting him finish out the season.  I won't be shocked if Dad retires.

They won't fire him so I see him waiting as long as he can cash a check.  I personally have no issue with this as they will never have an O but their D will always be good under the elder Ferentz.  His son has always ridden those coat tails and never been worth a dang.

6 hours ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

They won't fire him so I see him waiting as long as he can cash a check.  I personally have no issue with this as they will never have an O but their D will always be good under the elder Ferentz.  His son has always ridden those coat tails and never been worth a dang.

Rumor is the new AD basically told Dad to can him...Dad said No, so the AD said she would do it.

This also gives Dad the rest of the year to realize he is going to actually have a boss now and not a good ole boy friend.  

Thinking this means retirement. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

34 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

I think what is hard for Iowa is they have been above average for a while.  They look at other teams who have struggled after firing a coach who has been above average, but not great.

That being said, buddy and family hires have sunk many coaches.  

I would imagine that this is now a total tear down.

KF and their DC are tied at the hip, so they are both retiring together.

Everyone will be gone and as far as being an attractive job, well, the money makes it attractive but it is clearly a bottom half Big Ten job.  Maybe only better than NW, Purdue, Indiana, Rutgers...that is about it.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
33 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Everyone will be gone and as far as being an attractive job, well, the money makes it attractive but it is clearly a bottom half Big Ten job.  Maybe only better than NW, Purdue, Indiana, Rutgers...that is about it.

As much as I'd like to see that, I don't think it's the case. It is an attractive job, it will be really easy to just put out an average offense and the fans will worship whoever does that. The biggest negative to the job is most likely the internal pressure to keep the existing staff (at least defense and special teams) intact. Losing the DC will be a big deal, but based on titles the LB coach (also assistant DC) is probably next in line.

But I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they go with promoting their ST coach once KF retires. And as long as he hires a legitimate OC and the next DC can at least continue some of what Parker has been able to do, they'll still be fine. "Fine" is about to get less impressive without the divisions though, conference championship appearances are going to be a lot tougher. 

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

Rumor is the new AD basically told Dad to can him...Dad said No, so the AD said she would do it.

Officially, at least, Brian reports directly to the AD, rather than to his dad. They structured it that way to get around anti-nepotism laws. So the AD doesn't really even need to tell Kirk to pull the trigger, here.

58 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Parker has been with Iowa a long time but the guy is only 60.  I doubt he retires but who knows I guess.  My guess is he will be given a shot at the head coaching spot if KF retires at the end of the season.  I don't think he really wants it but will take the 5 year retirement boost.  

2 minutes ago, Toe said:

Officially, at least, Brian reports directly to the AD, rather than to his dad. They structured it that way to get around anti-nepotism laws. So the AD doesn't really even need to tell Kirk to pull the trigger, here.

Geez. Bad enough they're firing the guy, but now they're going to execute him?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 5
8 minutes ago, Toe said:

Right, but I think from what Iowa fans said is that the AD was "nice" enough to ask Kirk if he would do it.

• Plus1 3
15 hours ago, teachercd said:

This also gives Dad the rest of the year to realize he is going to actually have a boss now and not a good ole boy friend.  

Thinking this means retirement. 

I read that Iowa has not fired a coordinator in something like 30+ years.  They've had two coaches in my lifetime.  It's bonkers.