What did we learn? Maryland edition

Enhance

1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

Fidone currently gives with crappy blocking for whatever he provides in limited receiving. 

And probably a good assessment as we are now finding out.  

And to be fair, Haarberg was going to be 3rd string and basically a tight end until Sims and Purdy were hurt. Sims just can’t play without making mistakes and turnovers and who knows what Purdy can do. We just don’t have a QB. 

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

And to be fair, Haarberg was going to be 3rd string and basically a tight end until Sims and Purdy were hurt. Sims just can’t play without making mistakes and turnovers and who knows what Purdy can do. We just don’t have a QB. 

Oh I agree.   Was just stating there was a good reason HH was 4th string last year.  

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Sure you can argue the pressure it puts to be up and that could have helped, but getting into FG range was not an issue for them. The point about them moving the ball up to the 30 is that's all they needed for a FG. They could have kicked probably 3 more FGs in that game.

I'd rather play for a three pt. lead in that scenario and force the opponent to HAVE to score. Nebraska didn't need a touchdown. They needed points. That's kind of the difference we're talking about. It's the difference between playing and coaching smart vs. not. It's also the difference between winning and losing close games, something Nebraska has been exceedingly s*** at for the last half decade. 

Putting the game in the hands of their 3rd string QB in a Frankenstein offense, when they didn't have to, is the real issue I think a lot of folks have. The fact Nebraska successfully moved the ball down the field earlier in the drive doesn't mean passing was the correct decision to continue making once it was 1st and Goal at the 5.

• TBH 4
4 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I'd rather play for a three pt. lead in that scenario and force the opponent to HAVE to score. Nebraska didn't need a touchdown. They needed points. That's kind of the difference we're talking about. It's the difference between playing and coaching smart vs. not. It's also the difference between winning and losing close games, something Nebraska has been exceedingly s*** at for the last half decade. 

Putting the game in the hands of their 3rd string QB in a Frankenstein offense, when they didn't have to, is the real issue I think a lot of folks have. The fact Nebraska successfully moved the ball down the field earlier in the drive doesn't mean passing was the correct decision to continue making once it was 1st and Goal at the 5.

Rhule said the call was a hand off to Johnson on first and goal, and Purdy went rogue and kept it. He then threw it away when he was out of the pocket. The pass for a TD on 3rd down was very questionable, especially given the way it ended up. What I don’t get is how a corner route was thrown to the front of the end zone, and as others said it was very similar to the Sims INT against Minnesota. 

7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Rhule said the call was a hand off to Johnson on first and goal, and Purdy went rogue and kept it. He then threw it away when he was out of the pocket. The pass for a TD on 3rd down was very questionable, especially given the way it ended up. What I don’t get is how a corner route was thrown to the front of the end zone, and as others said it was very similar to the Sims INT against Minnesota. 

This sounds right. Purdy might have a hero complex when he should just run the damn play. He did a lot of good things to get that far, but he sure has trouble keeping focus.

1 minute ago, Hayseed said:

This sounds right. Purdy might have a hero complex when he should just run the damn play. He did a lot of good things to get that far, but he sure has trouble keeping focus.

After his good run to get a first down, Purdy was so confused about the next play call that NU was forced to call a timeout. He made a good throw to Kemp and another decent run to get to the 6 after Johnson’s big run. But, for what ever reason, Purdy didn’t go with the called play call on first and goal.

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, admo said:

For this season he has called plays accordingly for all the injuries and all the backups playing with limited experience.  He has been running a fairly vanilla offense.  Look how many different guys this offense has used at QB, RB, WR, OL. And it's the players that run wrong routes or throw interceptions and fumble and give up sacks.  And even the HC said Satt would love to open up the offense if we were in a better position to do so (not word for word).  I think the last INT was on Satt. I think there are times he has called some stinky plays at certain times.  But overall and over the course of the year with all the newbies and injuries, he's played it safe and ran the ball a lot.  I hope I answered your question.

Fair; and thanks for the perspective bro. I just can’t stand his passing decisions in the red zone lol

14 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Good context on the first play. Perhaps it was a play call misunderstanding? Either way, it's incredible how they seem to find new ways to screw up those moments.

I didn't get to see the game at all, but if it was a corner route, I again just question why even call a pass play there with an inexperienced QB and WR. I just don't trust that offense or any of the QB's to make that play consistently.

• Plus1 2
29 minutes ago, Enhance said:

This is big….

I think we overhype developing a QB as a thrower.  We need to develop awareness and game managers.  With proper physical skills to be a QB of course.

If the coach can’t manage the game, how can you expect the the kid to?

This was just poor execution by the staff today.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Good context on the first play. Perhaps it was a play call misunderstanding? Either way, it's incredible how they seem to find new ways to screw up those moments.

I didn't get to see the game at all, but if it was a corner route, I again just question why even call a pass play there with an inexperienced QB and WR. I just don't trust that offense or any of the QB's to make that play consistently.

I agree with you on this. Rhule said it was a corner route, but the WR was just barely beyond the goal line when the pass was thrown.  If QBs and WRs can’t execute, then why call the play in the first place?