Time to get to real

chamrocck

1 hour ago, brontosaurus said:

"Haarberg with a better arm and worse mobility" doesn't seem like that bad of a tradeoff, IMO. Admittedly I haven't been to any of his high school games, but unless he's some kind of complete headcase, that seems like a guy you could live with at QB.

I guess so, but his high school performance isn't inspiring or hints at consistent winning. He had more skill around him than +90% of the teams they faced and they still fell short of expectations year after year. A whole lot of hype over substance up to this point in time.

• Plus1 1

On 11/13/2023 at 10:21 AM, JJ Husker said:

Really? You don’t understand the hate for Satterfield after watching some of his playcalling?

I may have been on the Fire Satt bandwagon in the heat of the moment following the Maryland game, but I won’t really be onboard until he screws us with a capable QB. But he sure doesn’t seem to customize his play calls to the abilities of the personnel he has. First and goal from well inside the 10 and one of his plays is a pass from the 3rd string QB, who is seeing his first game action this season? Run. The. Damn. Ball. Worst case you walk away with a FG up by 3 and put it in the hands of our more than capable defense.

There have been many more square peg round hole moments for him this season but that is the freshest and likely most damaging. I’ll relax and give him the chance to show what he can do with some half way capable players (hopefully) next year but the hate is not hard to understand.

Every south Carolina fan said the same thing. In fact, they were REALLY happy we took him.  There's a reason for that. 

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, Mavric said:

Every fan base says that about every coach if they're not winning enough.

Why didn't Syracuse say that about white? They were disappointed about him leaving and had nothing but great things to say about him.

He also had rattler last year and his offenses weren't the greatest. All the problems he had at South Carolina he's having here. When most of your fanbase is wanting you to leave then that's saying something.

• Haha 1
11 minutes ago, huskerfan333157 said:

Why didn't Syracuse say that about white? They were disappointed about him leaving and had nothing but great things to say about him.

He also had rattler last year and his offenses weren't the greatest. All the problems he had at South Carolina he's having here. When most of your fanbase is wanting you to leave then that's saying something.

It is saying something, but more often than not what it's saying is that the fans don't know what they're talking about.

Who's a high profile offensive coordinator that a fanbase thinks is great?

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 3

21 minutes ago, huskerfan333157 said:

That's why it's "enough".  That can be different for different fans and fan bases.  

Perhaps a winning record with losses mostly against Top 25 teams and a Top 25 defenses was enough for most Syracuse fans.  Especially being just two years removed from going 1-10.

• Fire 1
2 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

It is saying something, but more often than not what it's saying is that the fans don't know what they're talking about.

Who's a high profile offensive coordinator that a fanbase thinks is great?

NU had the same offensive coordinator for all 5 National Championships, and I remember a lot of years where fans complained about his play calling.

The OC (not the awesome show from 20 years ago) role might be criticized more than the head coach in a lot of fan bases. 

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 3
48 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

NU had the same offensive coordinator for all 5 National Championships, and I remember a lot of years where fans complained about his play calling.

The OC (not the awesome show from 20 years ago) role might be criticized more than the head coach in a lot of fan bases. 

giphy.webp

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 1

I want the message from the head coach to be what the team is trying to accomplish. Don’t tell me you want a strong run game in the 4th quarter, but then try the happy, slappy cotton candy pass BS from the 5. Pick an identity. Be aware of the clock and the score. Use some imagination and at least try to set up the opponent during the game instead of running the same play all game. I’m still ticked they lost against Maryland. 

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1
On 11/13/2023 at 12:25 AM, Undone said:

I don't want Willy Korn at Nebraska. I don't want to prioritize the speed option & option variants. I want to bring in an actual QB who is good at actual QB things. You know, like reading a defense and throwing the ball? And honestly that player is probably Kaelin.

Let's start there. Willy Korn just gets you another Jeff Sims in here because you're prioritizing a track star QB who likely can't hit the broadside of Lancaster county in the passing game. Definitely tired of that stuff.

Husker football needs to let go of the option, IMO.

I’ve liked Chadwells O for quite some time.  He might have “system” QB’s, but all they do is win.  Salter right now has 26 TD’s to 4 INT’s and a RTG of 181.  He is also a dynamic runner, but hits around 60% completion rate.  Yes it’s against “lesser” competition, but all he does is win….  Chad well is the true architect, but Korn has been with him for years.  I’d take him and his offense.  I think it’d give us a leg up in recruiting and success.  His O is pretty innovative and more complex than folks think.  

Rhule just needs to recruit the right qb for what he wants.  I’d be perfectly happy with a drop back static QB so long as we move the chains and win….And if it fits Rhules vision. Too many years of square peg into round hole.  

On 11/12/2023 at 5:06 PM, chamrocck said:

No doubt we left some W’s on the table this year. We aren’t the only fanbase complaining. So what do we do about it? What are the coaches and players we need?

I’m ready to grab Willy Korn (great name for NU) and his QB Salter from Liberty. I also add Paul Chryst.  Satterfield and Raiola are out. Transform this offense now.

And protect Coach White. If he gets poached then we may again have a defensive mess on our hands. Teams will be coming for him so be smart and let’s continue to rebuild the Blackshirts as that side of the ball has played well.

I’m a fan of what Chadwells doing.  Unsure all the laughs. Dude simply wins……Pay White whatever it takes. Add asst coach.  Just keep him.  

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, huskerfan333157 said:

Rattlers stats are better in year 1 with the new OC.  Coincidence or causation?

22 minutes ago, lo country said:

Rattlers stats are better in year 1 with the new OC.  Coincidence or causation?

I would expect Spencer Rattler’s stats to peak as a senior QB in his 4th year as a starter.  The big improvement for Rattler has been a reductionin INT’s, so it’s reasonable that the new OC was able to see what Rattler did last year and improve on it.  Again, is that being driven by the OC, or Rattler becoming a better decision-maker, overall. I don’t think any of us are close enough to the South Carolina program to know. 

1 hour ago, Toe said:

Been a while since I was swearing at Corcoran, too. The injury might have something to do with that, but you know.

Lol, raiola as assistant of the year after white is a ridiculous take.  If the answer is any one but Knighton, its incorrect.  The d line not only has a few successes of guys leveling up finally (nash and t rob) but clearly the future is bright as hell with the young guys.

I'm sorry, and maybe I'm in the minority, but I haven't been overly impressed by the o line at all.  Sure, the penalties have been down in recent weeks but so much of our rushing stats is padded by long QB runs on play breakdowns and some chunk runs here and there.  If you take away johnson's 29 yard run in the 4th and chubba's rushes, our run game was pitiful this past weekend.  I will give them kuddos for cleaning up the penalties recently but that should be expected given how undisciplined that unit has been for years on end.  The only bright spot has been there's been zero drop off, and if anything, a bit cleaner play with the younger guys and teddy finally looking like hes somewhat back up to speed.  I am hopeful the freshman on the team now, plus a couple key recruits this year will mean continued improvement and more depth- but I haven't see s#!t this year to be raving about raiola.  

I'll be impressed when I see us actually eat up a team in the run game or put away a team in the 4th.  Its not like we're not calling run plays, its just inneffective and often leaves our offense in 2nd/3rd and long which is a disaster waiting to happen with turnover prone QBs (by disaster waiting to happen I mean we've tuned into disaster after disaster all season).

Edit: @Toe for some reason I couldn';t quote the post you referenced, fyi, was more responding to that post lol

• TBH 1