Iowa Game What did we learn?

TGHusker

Purdy is better than the other two wildcat QB's we trotted out this year. But, if his playing time this year is any indication, he's a turnover machine.

We shouldn't have even been in a situation where we're not up by at least 3 points late in the fourth in this game with how well we kept them from putting points on the board. Purdy shouldn't have even been in a situation where he has to throw a medium distance pass to be in field goal range to take the lead. But the INT he threw on the last drive...just really bad.

If we don't get a good QB out of the portal there's really nothing to be excited about for next year for me.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

Its all about hiring the right head coach and staff.  Tired of making excuses for every staff that gets hired here.  We all see Kansas, Kansas St, Mizzou, Northwestern with an interim, Iowa St, and Wyoming.  All of these teams are better than us and have better coaching staffs and head coaches. Recruiting is very important, but KU, KSU and Iowa St have mediocre recruiting numbers and manage to win games and make bowl games.  They develop what they recruit.  To than I will give Rhule more time, but if we are still sitting here two years from now with this same product, then its all coaching.  Will say this again.  We played 4 or 5 of the worst offenses in Power 5 football this season and lost those games.  Our defense is fine, but against teams who were rated in the Top 60 in offense all beat us.  Even teams rated last beat us.  This was not a shut down defense, rather a bend but don't break defense that bent more and broke more as the season closed.  Again, will give the defense a good rating, but not great.  We can say culture and curses, but its all up to the current staff to rectify those areas.  Its up to the staff to develop a QB and also pick the right transfer.  Its all up to the staff to evaluate talent and bring in the right pieces to improve this roster.  They clearly didn't like Casey, and chose Simms.  This one decision cost this roster and team at least 3 wins.  Yes, that decision to me was the biggest with hindsight.  If your watching game film and you think that Simms is the answer over Casey, there was hidden motives behind that because on the field it is not even a question.  We kept most of the roster from last season, but we didn't keep a QB who was the brightest spot on last years team..................Figure that one out.  

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
14 minutes ago, Undone said:

Purdy is better than the other two wildcat QB's we trotted out this year. But, if his playing time this year is any indication, he's a turnover machine.

Why was he the scout team QB?  I get the Sims experiment.  He looks the part until he’s playing.  I was never big on HH.  He just wasn’t as bad as Sims.  

But did the coaches feel Chubba was behind these two? 

We need 1 QB.  Maybe two.  Get a stud.  Bring in a second guy like KU did (Bean).

15 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Why don’t we run the pick plays (illegal) that gashed us for years?  No screens?  No shallow crossing routes?

Just seems like low percentage passing game.

We run screen passes on 3rd down when we about to kick a field goal in the last 6 minutes of the game to the wrong hash mark that leads to a miss.  That's when we run screen passes.  Rub plays your talking about take a good accurate QB to make the pass.  You are spot on with this assessment, but it all comes down to playing of the QB.  We spent weeks with HH who can't throw a ball, and now we turned to Purdy in the two games of the season with no reps and expect him to win a game.  This is why I will not throw Purdy under the bus.  I will question our coaching staff on this decision.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Nebhawk said:

This is why I will not throw Purdy under the bus.  I will question our coaching staff on this decision.

It came out about two weeks ago that he's had a groin injury all year.

I definitely don't blame Purdy for this loss. We didn't run the ball well, and the coaches seemed like they just didn't want to try to lean on the run in this one.

• TBH 1
28 minutes ago, Undone said:

It came out about two weeks ago that he's had a groin injury all year.

I definitely don't blame Purdy for this loss. We didn't run the ball well, and the coaches seemed like they just didn't want to try to lean on the run in this one.

The groin magically got better when Haarberg got injured and Sims had butter fingers?

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

Regretfully, I agree.  The regretful part is that Bo often was not the best representative of the school.  But perhaps it is better to have a sometimes well meaning jerk who wins vs a nice guy who loses. 

Or a Vikings fan as well. 

I believe that.  Vikings fans are the most miserable people on Twitter/X.  It's either football trauma or 7 months of winter.  Maybe both.

3 minutes ago, WWG1_we_GBR said:

Utah State gutted that out and got their 6th win to earn extra practice.

That and was darn lucky on a fumbled snap.  

3 minutes ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

I believe that.  Vikings fans are the most miserable people on Twitter/X.  It's either football trauma or 7 months of winter.  Maybe both.

That and was darn lucky on a fumbled snap.  

Ohhhhhhkaaaay? Not sure I understand the point here. USU QB fumbled the snap, picked it up and willed himself into the endzone to become bowl eligible.