Iowa Game What did we learn?

TGHusker

I don't mind venting. It is healthy and this is a good place to do it after a close game.  It happens 6 or 7 times a year as usual.

Just hope y'all put things into perspective.  It's college football.

Kiss your gf, watch Star Wars, and make Huevos Divorciados in the morning for breakfast.  Losing sucks, but the sky isn't falling.  The sun will come up.  This is not the worst thing in the world to happen.  Rest up, get it together and GBR

• TBH 2

6 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

I would love an example, if anybody can think of one, of a portal QB that transferred to a failing, losing program who hadn’t been bowl eligible and turned in a successful season. 

I think there is a lot of knowledge out there of portal players being pretty hit or miss, QB’s especially so. QB’s not transferring to top tie  programs even more so. 

Point is, it’s likely Rhule wasn’t picking from the cream of the crop. 

if this is the reason he couldn't do better than a QB known for to's (or keep a perfectly serviceable QB already on the roster), then buckle up because it's going to be a bumpy ride.

rhule didn't do anything to make neb more appealing for QBs or any offensive players. 

7 minutes ago, ranch boy said:

if this is the reason he couldn't do better than a QB known for to's (or keep a perfectly serviceable QB already on the roster), then buckle up because it's going to be a bumpy ride.

rhule didn't do anything to make neb more appealing for QBs or any offensive players. 

Well that’s true and that’s where we are at. You’re right. Nobody coming here better to play QB. So it’s the Chubb’s Kaelim show next year. So. Get ready to copy/paste all these threads for next year. We all understand it’s a 3-4 year project until it takes more than a year. There are no quick fixes to that QB room. In fact, may get that OLine fixed much quicker which is sickening to think about. 

10 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

Well that’s true and that’s where we are at. You’re right. Nobody coming here better to play QB. So it’s the Chubb’s Kaelim show next year. So. Get ready to copy/paste all these threads for next year. We all understand it’s a 3-4 year project until it takes more than a year. There are no quick fixes to that QB room. In fact, may get that OLine fixed much quicker which is sickening to think about. 

In the day of NIL and the Transfer Portal, there are no longer any 3-4 year rebuilds.  Players, admn, fans all want wins sooner than 3-4 years IMHO.  

• TBH 1

9 minutes ago, SilentTreatment said:

Losses like this still hurt a lot.

Chubba Chubba choo choo ain't the one either

The level of crazy inexplicable style of losing at Nebraska for the last 9 years is something I've never seen from any team in my life time

The curse continues

Go Big Red

Every way that you could think to lose, we have.  It's as unbelievable and improbable as our 1 loss score record....

1 minute ago, lo country said:

In the day of NIL and the Transfer Portal, there are no longer any 3-4 year rebuilds.  Players, admn, fans all want wins sooner than 3-4 years IMHO.  

Guess I’m not sure that’s true. I know we THINK it should be true. But haven’t seen anybody that has been able to use it to do it.   Sanders has us all thinking it was the magic it seems it should be, but it turns out you can’t plug gaping holes in a year and that is even WHEN you bring in an NFL caliber QB. 

54 minutes ago, lo country said:

I'm with you on starting over.  It is not as though we were successful with whatever we were trying.  Or that guys are completely invested (multiple years) in this scheme, language, techniques etc....We had issues with the basics imo. Blocking, passing, catching, route running etc....Not some super fancy techniques that they were being taught.

Unsure if Peetz would leave.  He is now the passing game coordinator.  Stafford has been injured and Kupp is questionable again.  Maybe he looks and sees that LA might take a step back and takes the offer again.  Solid resume.  

I am an apologist for Korn at Liberty so I am biased.  I like Chadwell's scheme.  BUT his is also predicated on a true dual threat QB who can run AND pass.  Without that "guy" it'll have issues.  And right now NU doesn't have that guy.  Look at Paul Chryst (analyst at Texas). Do you look at a guy like Tyler Roehl at NDSU or Mike Shanahan at JMU....I am unsure if we are going to get a P5 OC to come here if Satt is let go.  Save some money and put that into White, maybe new assistants etc...I am a huge homer fan, but my red colored glasses have come off.  I do not think that we are destination for many established OC's (with potential HC aspirations) so FCS or G5 might be the route we have to go.  If that is what Rhule decides.  In reality, watching a lot of college football, coaching is a lot of it, but we don't pass the eye ball test compared to a lot of what I am watching on tv...We are lacking Jimmy and Joes as well.  BUT better coaching will result in at least better development.  Another thought on Rhule, he came from Temple (AAC) and Baylor (Big 12) and neither conference was known for its physicality, but more for its "basketball on grass" style of play.  Track star speed is great in those two conferences, but the B1G is a brutal, physical league.  A burner is great at receiver to take the top off the D, but we need a QB who is a threat to get to him.  Maybe what has worked personnel wise it those previous stops won't work at NU or in the B1G.  Season 1, hoping he questions some of his previous thoughts.  Can't get bogged down with the "it's worked everywhere else, so it'll work here mentality".....

On to the off season and wait for the portal to open and recruit signings....

We agree on a lot and I could have written a lot of what you did. I have brought up Paul Chryst. If you

want to keep Satt give Chryst QB coaching duties and you at least have another credible voice on the offensive side of the ball. I am a firm believer not one skill player is going to save this offense. We have seen that trick at places like Purdue and Indiana and it never goes far. It has to start with the OL and the reason I have wanted Raiola out is because I don’t see our OL control games we should win easily. Every game is a struggle. Our RB’s never get going, our QB’s are not well protected. I thought the RB’s with all the injuries made the best of it. Our WRs are young so jury still out. But this OL scares no one. OK we improved in penalty yards? How could you not improve from such a hole?  Who did we push around? Who did we wear down in the second half?  It should have been teams like MSU, Maryland, Minny.  7-8 wins was very achievable and so that is why there should be consequences. The staff is not cutting it on the offensive side. Need players and coaching both.

54 minutes ago, lo country said:

I'm with you on starting over.  It is not as though we were successful with whatever we were trying.  Or that guys are completely invested (multiple years) in this scheme, language, techniques etc....We had issues with the basics imo. Blocking, passing, catching, route running etc....Not some super fancy techniques that they were being taught.

Unsure if Peetz would leave.  He is now the passing game coordinator.  Stafford has been injured and Kupp is questionable again.  Maybe he looks and sees that LA might take a step back and takes the offer again.  Solid resume.  

I am an apologist for Korn at Liberty so I am biased.  I like Chadwell's scheme.  BUT his is also predicated on a true dual threat QB who can run AND pass.  Without that "guy" it'll have issues.  And right now NU doesn't have that guy.  Look at Paul Chryst (analyst at Texas). Do you look at a guy like Tyler Roehl at NDSU or Mike Shanahan at JMU....I am unsure if we are going to get a P5 OC to come here if Satt is let go.  Save some money and put that into White, maybe new assistants etc...I am a huge homer fan, but my red colored glasses have come off.  I do not think that we are destination for many established OC's (with potential HC aspirations) so FCS or G5 might be the route we have to go.  If that is what Rhule decides.  In reality, watching a lot of college football, coaching is a lot of it, but we don't pass the eye ball test compared to a lot of what I am watching on tv...We are lacking Jimmy and Joes as well.  BUT better coaching will result in at least better development.  Another thought on Rhule, he came from Temple (AAC) and Baylor (Big 12) and neither conference was known for its physicality, but more for its "basketball on grass" style of play.  Track star speed is great in those two conferences, but the B1G is a brutal, physical league.  A burner is great at receiver to take the top off the D, but we need a QB who is a threat to get to him.  Maybe what has worked personnel wise it those previous stops won't work at NU or in the B1G.  Season 1, hoping he questions some of his previous thoughts.  Can't get bogged down with the "it's worked everywhere else, so it'll work here mentality".....

On to the off season and wait for the portal to open and recruit signings....

We agree on a lot and I could have written a lot of what you did. I have brought up Paul Chryst. If you

want to keep Satt give Chryst QB coaching duties and you at least have another credible voice on the offensive side of the ball. I am a firm believer not one skill player is going to save this offense. We have seen that trick at places like Purdue and Indiana and it never goes far. It has to start with the OL and the reason I have wanted Raiola out is because I don’t see our OL control games we should win easily. Every game is a struggle. Our RB’s never get going, our QB’s are not well protected. I thought the RB’s with all the injuries made the best of it. Our WRs are young so jury still out. But this OL scares no one. OK we improved in penalty yards? How could you not improve from such a hole?  Who did we push around? Who did we wear down in the second half?  It should have been teams like MSU, Maryland, Minny.  7-8 wins was very achievable and so that is why there should be consequences. The staff is not cutting it on the offensive side. Need players and coaching both.

• TBH 1

What's bizarre is how we lost this game exactly the same way we lost the Minnesota and Maryland games. 

Tied at ten, with the ball late in the 4th quarter, we're driving for a potential game-winning score, but we throw an interception. Our opponent drives to field goal range and kicks the game-winning points as time expires.

That happening once in a season is crazy.

That exact scenario happening three times in one season is astounding.

• Plus1 1

Best defense we have had in over 10 years by a wide margin. I get this season was painful and our offense was atrocious but frankly I saw more hope this season that we could actually be good than I have in a long time. We are a QB away from being an 8 win team just because of the defense. I want to see what we can do next season

• Plus1 1

This program hasn't won a relevant game against a good team for pretty much this century. An entire generation has grown up knowing only mediocre football and mediocre coaching coming out of Lincoln. There was once great pride in in-state players playing at a high level against nationally ranked teams. With the state of college football today you have to play the portal game and try to get quality players with no previous loyalty to GBR, but want to come to a losing program in the middle of nowhere with little national TV coverage. Just becoming Bowl eligible will seem like winning a national championship, whenever that ever comes to happen again. 

3 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

The bolded sums it up for me.  White and Co got true freshman playing meaningful snaps.  They got starters from guys not even on Frosts radar.  Guys to play in a completely different scheme.  Throw in how Ty and Hut came on.  They also dealt with multiple injuries, but found a way to make it work.  And improve TREMENDOUSLY as it relates to run D.