2024 Spring Game - April 27

Mavric

Just now, knapplc said:

Even Callahan didn't have a 60/40 split between passes and rushes.

2004 - 44R, 65PA

2005 - 51R, 76PA

2006 - 59R, 46PA

2007 - 56R, 54PA

Technically 2004 was 40.4/59.6.  I appreciate the info, though.  :thumbs

• Plus1 3

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

Last year's backs would not have read their blocks, and cut it back inside for a 4 or 5 yard gain. This is what we need out of Dowdell. He's not going to burn teams but he can make good plays.

40 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I'm sure in the Callahan days but...

It’s possible they geared the play calling towards getting the QB’s as much game throwing experience as possible while also showcasing the offense a bit to the recruits in attendance some. 

• Plus1 2

We knew they planned to throw a lot today, so that's not a surprise. But  RPOs and QB decisions also make a big difference in the final tally.

We've heard all spring that the QBs have been given quite a bit of latitude to change things at the line, and Haarberg's press conference today I think was the most illustrative of the 3 QBs. Simple things like throwing it out to a receiver against soft coverage or getting the ball to a TE in the flat against box counts are many times taking the place of runs.

The last thing to consider, and this goes for almost any team that isn't run dominant by design, is how many runs come when you're in control of the game to kill clock and that situation didn't come up today.

4 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

He still looks really really good for

a kid that could still be in HS 

He understandably has things to work on and get used to the college game. But, my totally non expert eye believes we saw some throws today that we haven’t seen in a long time from a Husker QB. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

He understandably has things to work on and get used to the college game. But, my totally non expert eye believes we saw some throws today that we haven’t seen in a long time from a Husker QB. 

What I liked as well as the throws was the poise in running the offense.   He looked as comfortable as can be, made some great throws as you said, and acted like a field general out there.  Some of that stuff is hard to teach at such a young age. 

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

But, my totally non expert eye believes we saw some throws today that we haven’t seen in a long time from a Husker QB. 

People will very correctly tell me I'm putting the cart before the horse, but in the modern pass happy era of college football Nebraska has not had a comparable QB. He's so professional in his approach that it isn't fair to other freshman QBs to call him a freshman.

One example comes from his interview where he's describing the long TD pass today and how when they ran that in practice on Tuesday he took the checkdown only to notice in film study that he had the deep shot. Made the adjustment today for a nice, easy TD.

• Oh Yeah! 1

Obviously a long way to go for the kid but yea best QB talent we've had here at least since the turn of the century. We are talking about top 5 pick potential realistically if everything pans out in the best way possible 

Training with Mahomes doesn't hurt. How many guys does Mahomes do that with? 

I didn't get to watch the game yesterday but caught some of the highlight reels later in the evening - seemed like a fun time!

I never really take much from spring games, for good or for bad, but it was nice to see DR looking pretty comfortable in the backfield. I liked his touch on a several throws. This was my first time really watching him and I couldn't help but notice the Patrick Mahomes influence on his movements that everyone has talked about before - the dude sometimes even walks around the way PM does lol. 

I thought most of the quarterbacks had some nice throws, but you can definitely tell the difference between the touch/vision of DR vs. Haarberg, in my opinion. Saw some of the things out of HH yesterday that drove us mad in games last season.

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Tell you what, O street and downtown lincoln is getting really crappy.

Soooo many homeless people sleeping all over the place.  

I am guessing that the Railyard has really started to impact O street. 

I don’t know where else you’ve been in the US.  I travel for work.  It’s everywhere.

What I don’t like about what Lincoln is doing is allowing people to just crash on O street.  Specifically downtown.  Theres always been a lot around the shelter East of the tracks on O.