Saban Retiring

One of my co-workers in his mid 30s and a big Bama fan just came to my office to cry on my shoulder.  He's in shock.    I told him how I remember the day sitting in my office and the breaking news on Tulsa Oklahoma local talk radio was:  Tom Osborne is retiring.  This was before news flew like lightening via the internet.  It was big news in Oklahoma.   I just sat in stunned and numbed silence. 

Perhaps Saban is seeing how the game has changed and that he doesn't care for NIL, Portal, etc.  Coaches are more general managers than coaches now in some respects. 

One of the Greats Meets One of the Greats after the game:  

https://smartfootball.com/grab-bag/coaches-be-crazy#more-1926

Saban: The first year I was a head coach at Michigan State, the first game we played was against Nebraska when Tom Osborne was the coach. Here, I’d been in the NFL for the four, five, six years, I can’t remember exactly how long. Here we play Nebraska, who goes on to win the national championship. I mean they’ve got a really good team. And we’re playing at Michigan State. I’m looking at this like Nebraska’s just like anybody else, because I don’t know that they’re that much better than everybody. I’ve been coaching in the NFL for a long time. And they beat us like 55-14. I mean, it was unbelievable. Physically, emotionally and everything else. Tom Osborne comes across the field and we shake at the end of the game, and he puts his arm around me and says, “You’re not as bad as you think.” And I didn’t really know what he meant by that. Really what he meant was, “We’ve got a really, really good team here. So when you play somebody your own size, you’ll be fine.” And he was right. We went on to win six games, beat Michigan that year, went to a bowl game. For a first year starting a program, we didn’t have a bad team. But it sure seemed like it that day.

• Thanks 2

Alabama (and the SEC as a whole) is due for a correction. Unfortunately for us Nebraska fans, 'Bama's likely decline will come during Texass' climb in the (declining) SEC, so we're going to have to put up with Texass being whored out more than usual by ESPN in the near future. 

• TBH 1
  • Worth a Look 1
1 minute ago, VectorVictor said:

Alabama (and the SEC as a whole) is due for a correction. Unfortunately for us Nebraska fans, 'Bama's likely decline will come during Texass' climb in the (declining) SEC, so we're going to have to put up with Texass being whored out more than usual by ESPN in the near future. 

Hopefully ESPN doesn't give them their own network or anything.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, gossamorharpy said:

Wow. End of the greatest coaching era in college football history.  

Cant wait to see the sharp decline of Bama.  I wonder if Big8conferenceforever is gonna question their status as a blue blood in a few years when theyre not in the playoffs anymore

Mass exodus coming